• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Engine wouldn't rev, something stuck

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was on the river and after a bit of boating and floating, I started the 2 engines and found that the starboard engine would not rev over 2,000 RPM and it was making a muffled sound. I figured something was stuck and tried the remove technique a couple of times without any luck. I was right near the dock and we were planning on leaving anyway. Also, when I reached in the cleanout plug, I felt very rough plastic edges and burrs which made me think my new plastic liner was in pretty bad shape. I retrieved the boat using the one engine figuring I would look at it when I brought it home. I pulled the jet/impeller to inspect and my plastic liner looks to be melted on the lip and it is pretty scratched up all around. I can spin the impeller freely so it is not hung up on the impeller housing liner.... maybe whatever was lodged in there came out on my way back to the dock??? Anyway, below is a picture of my liner. Is is possible that it melted due to overheating? Would the cooling water circulate in the liner and could it get so hot to actually melt the plastic? Otherwise, do you think this is the result of something being stuck?

Should I try to clean up the plastic burrs a bit and put it back together?

IMG_1376.jpg IMG_1377.jpg IMG_1378.jpg

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Looks like whatever got stuck was spinning and got the liner hot, just judging by the grooves in it..

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Is that a small pice of wood stuck in the plastic in the bottom pic?

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it was a flake of wood. I was able to scrape it out and it was tiny. I don't think this would cause the impeller to be hung up but maybe whatever was there fell out. Do you think I should reassemble and give it a shot? I can spin it pretty freely by hand although it does hit some high spot in the plastic but nothing that hangs it up.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I would clean it up as best as possible, give it a shot. I bet it was a live of wood stuck on a blade and it carved up the plastic. As long as you don't get a bunch of vibrations from it you should be good.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The problem would be the clearance between the impeller and housing. Too big and you will have cavitation and loss of speed. Can you get us a pic looking straight on at the impellers to show the clearance around the impeller?

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I was afraid too much gap between the impeller and liner would cause that, but it doesn't look too bad from the angle of the pic.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You MAY be able to get through the rest of this season if you clean up the liner but the clearance spec is pretty tight and that liner should be replaced when able. Looks like a few nicks in the impellers that should also be dressed.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd replace it while you have the pump apart. But you could try smoothing it out if you need the boat on the water before you can get the part, I'm pretty sure you'll have some cavitation though.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks all. I think I will take the off season to get the solas impellers, new liners, and the impeller gate (not sure of the name) since the fins are not 100% whole. For now, I will reassemble for a few more days on the water unless the cavitation is too bad and keeps me from running

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here goes.... you will not like this picture. Graphic

I started a new thread on changing. I will make it "all new" for next season

plastic liner.JPG

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Yeah... That sucks, if you can get some of the ridges cleaned up, smoothed out . You can probably run without too bad of cavitation. But it's gonna need replaced.. I saw new solas impellers on eBay for 199.00 each free shipping. Not sure if you can get a better price elsewhere, just an FYI. Hope you can run the rest of the season..

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I went the quick and easy route. I ordered a couple of new liners and I am getting refurbished impellers from SBT. $59 versus $200 per side so that adds up quick. They will be here in 2 days and this should be ready to run this weekend. i like the idea that at this price point, I can replace the impellers more frequently.

I have decided to replace the impeller duct assembly if/when I have to redo the jet pump bearings so that I only have to press the bearing's once. It's easy enough that if it doesn't run great, I can replace the ducts.

I am very psyched to get these parts so quickly. I hope the SBT plastic liner fits into my IslandK impeller housing since I have to think they are the same sizes. Maybe not but it is worth a shot

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I went the quick and easy route. I ordered a couple of new liners and I am getting refurbished impellers from SBT. $59 versus $200 per side so that adds up quick. They will be here in 2 days and this should be ready to run this weekend. i like the idea that at this price point, I can replace the impellers more frequently.

I have decided to replace the impeller duct assembly if/when I have to redo the jet pump bearings so that I only have to press the bearing's once. It's easy enough that if it doesn't run great, I can replace the ducts.

I am very psyched to get these parts so quickly. I hope the SBT plastic liner fits into my IslandK impeller housing since I have to think they are the same sizes. Maybe not but it is worth a shot
Man with a plan!!! Good luck...

Lspeedss

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Smart move. Good luck.