• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking at 230 boat

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Same year as my boat a few things caught my eye. The engine air filter covers have the screws ripped out and look like they were sitting in the sun . The hull is stained at the water line this is due to sitting in salt water most likely the jet pumps have massive amounts of corrosion . Some items in the engine compartment have rust on them that I don't see on mine could have been submerged by superstorm sandy . The water came up 5 feet in that area ask if an insurance claim was ever used
Man, that is good stuff!

su laxplayer21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did anyone see the check engine light come on immediately on the port engine in the video? Pick this thing up cheap, find a used trailer, give it some TLC.... you have yourself a nice boat!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did anyone see the check engine light come on immediately on the port engine in the video?
Great catch. A light certainly is flashing. The engines sound a little rough to me. And I noticed that both were revved to less than their 10,200 RPM max. But the boat is tied to a dock. Not sure I would want to rev that high attached to a dock!

AZDANSX230HO

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
2 1/2 hours left on the auction, I will be watching what it goes for, it this was closer to Arizona I would buy it, fix it up, and flip it for a very nice profit.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Someone just won the boat for $7,199.00. Was it you @Beachbummer?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not me. Without someone local to check it out it seemed much too risky. Hopefully someone gets a great deal.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It wasn't me either. I put the initial bid in just to see if there was more to the story like a reserve or an automatic bid against it. There wasn't anything like that, and I have to say I was pretty nervous waking up today without any other bids on it. When it was down to 2 hours left and still no higher bids, I was getting REALLY nervous. If the boat was an hour away instead of 10+ hours away from me, I definitely would have looked at it and strongly considered it to flip.

Hopefully someone from here, or someone who will find this forum got the boat and we get to hear all about the boat.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Shit.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I mean I hope it is someone here.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Maybe someone from the other site.:greedy:

arew~SX230

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Beachbummer

Next time you are interested in a boat that is far away, consider hiring a certified marine surveyor to check it out for you. They usually charge by the foot and include a sea trial if possible. If the seller will not agree to it it's a red flag for sure.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had an eye on a boat in Tennessee I had some interest on... Turned out to not be HO as promised so I cancelled... There were 3 surveyors in town. None would see it if I had not seen it in person, claimed they did not want the liability of describing condition sight unseen to the owner. Got a plane ticket to overcome, thankfully I could return the ticket before the non HO item was known

Not as easy as it sounds, if you are not on site.

Last edited:

su laxplayer21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was in contact with the seller. Seemed legit to me. I pointed out the check engine light and they said it was the first time it came on, and haven't been able to reproduce it. They said the wear on the nozzles was normal and their mechanic hadn't advised any repairs. The boat was stored over water on the lift when not in use but to me it looked like it sat in the water for days at a time. All in all.... for $7200, this was a freakin steal! If I wasn't getting married in 7 days I would have taken this more seriously.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think this will be the first or last time you see a boat in that age range go in that kind of pricing on eBay this off season that model year is now for model generations old and interest in that model is probably minimal as most if they where looking to spend much more then it went for would probably be trying to find a deal on a 07-09 model instead.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know @robert843, even SR230s in running condition are like 10k propositions.

I think this boat was an absolute, crazy steal.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I don't think this will be the first or last time you see a boat in that age range go in that kind of pricing on eBay this off season that model year is now for model generations old and interest in that model is probably minimal as most if they where looking to spend much more then it went for would probably be trying to find a deal on a 07-09 model instead.
I disagree, using P-Car speak I see the First Generation 230 as the 944 S2 which is rare enough that few know it exists, the Second Generation 230 as the 968 which is a rare, desirable and affordable model which has very little depreciation and may eventually appreciate, the first generation 240 as the Boxster which is plentiful and often sells for less than older models, the 212 as the Cayman which is appreciated for its extreme performance and driver enjoyment helping it hold a premium price and the second generation 240 possibly as a 997 which introduced many new desirable features but it is yet to be seen how it will hold it's value.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't know @robert843, even SR230s in running condition are like 10k propositions.

I think this boat was an absolute, crazy steal.
Not saying this boat wasn't a great deal but what I'm saying is that if another pops up on ebay with no reserve between now and January don't be surprised if it sells in the same market range if its in similar condition. Even with this boats selling price it was likely well over a 10K proposition with the work it appears to have needed. $7199 purchase $2500-$3000 for a trailer probable at least $1000-$1500 in cables and engine maintenance unless you tried to tackle it your self and that's not even touching the $2500-$3500 paint job that would be required to bring it back to a mint selling condition as the seller even said the paint was shot. You still would have been in the low end of the market that this boat goes for.

$7199 purchase
$2500 trailer
$1500 maintenance
$3000 paint
$14,199 total

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
$2500-$3500 paint job that would be required to bring it back to a mint selling condition as the seller even said the paint was shot
Yamaha boats are not painted as with most fiberglass boats the exterior finish is gelcoat. Whether or not the gelcoat would polish out is unknown.

Repairs to that boat certainly could have been expensive.

The new upholstery is a ~$4,000 plus.

Most would buy a used trailer for less than $1,500.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yamaha boats are not painted as with most fiberglass boats the exterior finish is gelcoat. Whether or not the gelcoat would polish out is unknown.
I feel pretty confident that even if it polished out it wouldn't it wouldn't have held maybe it would have looked ok for a few weeks then reverted back. Even though Yamaha boats are not painted as fix for this issue it can be painted or wrapped those would be the only two true fixes I would have known of.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I feel pretty confident that even if it polished out it wouldn't it wouldn't have held maybe it would have looked ok for a few weeks then reverted back. Even though Yamaha boats are not painted as fix for this issue it can be painted or wrapped those would be the only two true fixes I would have known of.
I know of several boats that have been fully custom wrapped for $1,500. IDP wraps are $700 http://www.ipdjetskigraphics.com/product-category/yamaha/ar230-graphics-kits/