• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Looking at 230 boat

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Actually, this is it -- what you can do with an older Yammie (@MX71 and his 2005 sx230):
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2005-sx230-upgrade-exterior-wrap-new-interior.9976/
One of my fave threads here!

I would also point out that while Yamaha FRP hulls are pretty thin, the gelcoat is really high quality and does render itself to restoration. It is a lot of work (full gel coat restoration), no doubt, but the effects can be stunning.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski i agree a full gel coat resteration would be great but costly I promise from experience with another older boat with slight sun fading just a wax and buff wouldn't last long. I think the wraps are great and look awesome but after a few scuffs look terrible. @Bruce I'm not a Porsche guy so I only kind of understand the reference about values compared to Porsches but to think a 2010 limited S is worth less then a 2009 limited S still sounds a little out there to me and to think there is some kind of nastalgia person out there willing to pay top dollar for an 05 model sx230 is even more out there. Once again I'm no expert on boat values and this is just an opinion.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
maybe this was a diamond in the rough find but I have a feeling that the seller had a friend bid on it to keep from having to sell it at such a low price. If I'm right it will be up for auction again soon.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is not cheap to do that, you then have to pay the selling fees, and burn a little reputation on the shill account. It may be true, but more costly that just setting the minimum bid to your minimum acceptable price, which is what sellers should do, in my opinion. If it sells, fine, if not, you don't pay the "it sold" fees

Last edited:

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Admittedly, I've done it and paid the fees as a result which wasn't much money percentage wise. No negative feedback because I either was the high bidder or new the high bidder. eBay still got paid so they didn't care. At the time it made sense to do it this way because I was selling a lot of things and noticed that people were often placing and retracting bids just to see what my reserve was which in turn kept the final sales prices close to the reserve price. on vehicles ebays pricing / compensation structure is / was different. The last time I sold a car through them it was a flat fee of $60.

Again, this may have been a killer deal that doesn't come around often but I'd bet it isn't and that the boat will be up for sale again before the next boating season starts.

If it was a legitimate deal I hope the buyer is smart enough to accept it as it is and not spend thousands to get it back to mint condition In which case he may have been better of just buying one in mint condition.

Personally, I would not buy/complete the transaction for a used jet boat or pwc (now a new scarab jet boat) without driving it first. A compression check won't reveal cavitation problems which can be tough to diagnose and resolve.

As for the relative appeal of a 230 v 240, as a savvy buyer I would take a 2009 232 over a 2010 242 for the same price because of known issues with the oil coolers in the 2010s and now the possibility of timing chain issues vs. the more bullet proof reputation or the engines that came in the late 230s. I can't say the same for the pre 2007 230s because of the lack of a head compartment and the lack of a 232 model and extra features generally.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm newer than new here...so I say this only with the desire to continue good conversation... this is my prediction: While you are correct that there are some (at least two, you and me) who would pay more or the same for an older model based on a personal preference (I like the lines of the 230 better, and if both a 2009 and 2010 were offered in the same cost to me within my budget, which is NOT happening... I'd probably pick the 230) The market as a whole will never price it in such a way. Planned obsolesce, buyers new to the market, and the fact that the newer boat will have in theory less wear and tear all else being equal, will ensure that newer models are always considered by the market as more valuable and hence, end up being more expensive. I agree it could happen in a specific situation, but it will be a very rare anomaly, and not something the market as a whole would agree upon, (say in the next 8 years).

Such is the life of all things with a Year model on it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm newer than new here...so I say this only with the desire to continue good conversation... this is my prediction: While you are correct that there are some (at least two, you and me) who would pay more or the same for an older model based on a personal preference (I like the lines of the 230 better, and if both a 2009 and 2010 were offered in the same cost to me within my budget, which is NOT happening... I'd probably pick the 230) The market as a whole will never price it in such a way. Planned obsolesce, buyers new to the market, and the fact that the newer boat will have in theory less wear and tear all else being equal, will ensure that newer models are always considered by the market as more valuable and hence, end up being more expensive. I agree it could happen in a specific situation, but it will be a very rare anomaly, and not something the market as a whole would agree upon, (say in the next 8 years).

Such is the life of all things with a Year model on it.
Amen to that. Glad you found this site, and thank you for wonderful contributions already!

I can totally relate to your sentiment, in fact I have almost purchased a 2009 boat the last time I shopped, which was earlier this year. I do like the lines, but my main thing was the cockpit cushion design/layout and quality, which is awesome, 2009 232 Limited S especially (a unicorn among YJBs).
The oil cooler bolts are not much of a deterrent once you know what to expect, and worrying about 1.8 TC failure is not something I would do. As far as market value - well, we have NADA for that. 2010 and 2009 models of similar trim fetch different NADA values, so that takes care of the argument from a purely market value perspective. But -- I am a sentimental guy :D, and so is @Bruce, I guess!
https://jetboaters.net/threads/back-to-the-future-considering-a-mint-2009-232-limited-s-vs-a-new-2016-ar240-am-i-crazy.10454/

--

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Lol, I would bet that a majority of boat buyers purchase based on things far less technical than us. The boat buyer that asks if the oil cooler has been fixed in my 2011 242 may be the real unicorn.

(Unless they are a member of our site. ;))