• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Gts 187 here

Patrick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Hello all this is my first post and first jet boat. I have a few question's and hope you all can help.
It seems to me these boats are very weight sensitive to where people sit. Generally it's just my wife and our 2 little kids and this things pulls to the left bad. I can't seem to get this boat to want to track straight.
If I run over 20 mph I have to hold the steering wheel between 2-3 o'clock to get the boat to run somewhat straight is this normal? When I let off the gas to see if it will correct it dives to the left. I just don't know what to do. To me it feels like the driver side rear is trying slide out. I installed cobra steering fins and they work great for low speeds but I don't know what to do. The boat is back at the dealer trying to see if they can duplicate it. Any help would be appreciated. Would like to thank Jeff from cobra jet for the referral to the site.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard, Patrick!

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard!

Do you have one jet or two?

Is your boat leaning to one side due to weight distribution?

Is your jet pointed straight back when the steering wheel is centered?

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome Patrick! You know my old stern drive did the same thing. Believe it or not, it got alot better when I added a second battery to the starboard side. I guess it distributed the weight better, dont really know.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I can defiantly feel the lean as well, especially with several people. It is sometime difficult when friends or family are aboard, and you need to politely ask some to move to the other side of the boat.

Remember these have no keel or rudder in the water to keep tracking straight, and a smaller boat may have more issues.
However, a wife and 2 youngins' I don't think that would cause that big of an issue, considering the weight of the people I was referencing above.

Have you tried moving everybody to the starboard side and seeing it it straightens out? What about when it is just you in the boat?

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
And welcome, it is nice to have another Glastron on the board!

Patrick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Thanks for all of the replies. I have yet to be the only person on the boat so far. So testing to see if this is a true weight problem I will find out. The jet nozzle and steering wheel seem to be lined up properly. Its just cant figure it out when theres just me 240lbs my son and daughter combined are 70lbs and there on the bench behind me and the boat pulls hard to the left and when you let off the throttle it dives to the left. It is a single engine 250hp rotax. Does anyone know if any of the aftermarket intake grates will fit on these boats. Jeff from Cobra jet fins recommended a top load intake grate this could possibly help my problem.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
I have essentially the same setup (on the 207) and I have zero pull when backing off the throttle, regardless of loading.
I also highly doubt that an intake grate would have any resolution to the pulling issue, as it it one grate, centered at the stern.

Patrick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Well any suggestions would be very appreciated.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
How long has the boat been at the dealer? Any report on their end?

Did you have the problem before installing the Cobra fin? Is there one or two? The website shows a single fin mounted on the port side of the outlet. I am wondering if that is causing some of the problem? Have they has success with their product on other Glaston boats?

How many hours do you have on it? What is your top end speed/RPM? Maybe the reverse bucket isn't opening all the way.

The first thing I would do is get in alone, on smooth water and try to recreate the causes of the problem.
I am kind of agreeing with @SuperJetDan at this point, and your steering may not be aligned with the nozzle.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome Patrick!

I don't have issues with my boat tracking while at throttle. But my boat does turn to the left after pulling back on the throttle to recover tubers, etc. I kill the motors and it does turn almost to the point where the tubers are off the bow port side. I think others with Yamaha boats have the same issue. But mine is a twin engine as well.

I would have immediately though your tracking issue would have been a weight distribution issue, but it doesn't sound like it. Sorry, but I don't know much about the Glastron setup.

Hope you can figure it out soon!

Patrick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Its been at the dealer for 3 days not able to duplicate the problem. The problem was happening before the fins were installed. There are 2 fins installed. I have 8hrs on the boat. I havent pushed the boat over 35mph because of the pull to the left. It just doesnt feel safe when it does it. It feels like a front wheel drive car in the snow when you hit the brakes and the back end wants to come around. The reverse bucket was not locking into place so I adjusted the cable to make sure it was and it still pulls to the left. When its pulling to the left and I let off the throttle it really dives to the left when most of the weight is on the right side of the boat. I did notice when I took the boat home friday that when I turned the nozzle by hand water shoots out of the cable close to where it goes into the hull.

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Hmm. With one lever (my old SeaDoo had individual bucket and throttle levers), I can see the bucked coming down as you pull back on the throttle. I mean it has to so it is in the right position at idle. So maybe it is a bucket adjustment? With the shape of out bucket is seem strange always left, but who knows.

I asked about the speed, because if the bucket was lower than it should be, I don't think you would hit the top speed (40-43 mph I believe). I asked about the hours because of the RPM limit for the first 5. I still wouldn't go WOT longer than 10s or so still, although one could argue at 8 hours, most of the breaking is is done.

Maybe the ride plate isn't level?

Can you go to the dealer and get out on the water with them? Either have them demonstrate their methods, or you show them where you have the problem?

Patrick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Yes thats the next step. Im heading up there on Saturday hopefully we can get this worked out.

Patrick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Well just a quick update. I spoke the dealer today and he has a call into Glastron on this steering issue. Jim the owner of the marina said they got the boat when pulling back on the throttle to dart left (yes I'm not crazy ) so he's not sure whats causing that. Also I asked him if over steering is normal with these types of boat and he said yes. I'm dealing with a small mom and pop marina which is what I prefer but I'm not sure if they are on top of these boats like a bigger dealer would be. My boat was the only jet they had for sale. So my question is do these boats have over steering problems.
Thanks for the imput.

Patrick

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Ok got some news. So some of you 207 are included also. Engineering dept and my dealer finally figured this pulling to the left. Once they had the marina put a straight edge on the bottom come to find out the port side by the transom is 1/8 off of the other side. Once this whas discovered the manufactur took a boat out from same mold and it did the same thing. So they are taking my boat to Michigan and fixing it. So no boat for a few weeks but atleast it being fixed. This was explained to me where the transom meets the bottom of the hull it hooks down and the port side is hooked an 1/8 of an inch deeper than the driver side.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Great service given that they looked at it and that they are now correcting it. This is great to hear and some of it is expected given that it is the first year of production

jonw9

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Your dealer won't give a loaner?

Also, would this affect all 187s from that mold?