• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil in hull

Kathychang

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hi guys! I need help with my 2019 Yamaha EX. I went to take it out on the water this morning and when I checked the hull, there was oil in it.
Can someone please help me understand how this can occur? It only has 15hours on it.

Chang,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you join us,

it has an oil leak, first guess would be from the oil filter, 2nd guess would be the oil cooler,
what is the oil level currently at ?
Does the engine still run?
how much oil is in the hull ?
is it in a particular part of the hull ?
when was the last time you changed the oil / filter ?

a picture would also be helpful,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
or someone was very sloppy at the last oil change and didn't clean up their mess,

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
or someone was very sloppy at the last oil change and didn't clean up their mess,
Probably more the case than anything.

To the OP - check around your motors and specifically around the oil filters for grease. If you can pull the boat out, do so, and jack the front up. Add some dawn dish soap and water into the engine compartment (gently so it doesn't spray on everything) and see if you can scrub the oil out.

Kathychang

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
glad to have you join us,

it has an oil leak, first guess would be from the oil filter, 2nd guess would be the oil cooler,
what is the oil level currently at ?
Does the engine still run?
how much oil is in the hull ?
is it in a particular part of the hull ?
when was the last time you changed the oil / filter ?

a picture would also be helpful,
Well, I Was told by the dealer where I bought my Jet ski at, the oil doesn’t have to be changed until the PWC has a minimum of 20hrs on it.
So I did not change the oil at all. First time PWC owner don’t know much. Jet ski turns on and the oil shows on the dip stick 20. There is oil stain where the filter is so I am guessing that’s where the leak is coming from?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is a 10 hour break in oil change interval, not 20 hours. You are overdue for an oil change if one has not been done since new.. Info from owners manual for a 2017 EX...Find a new jet ski dealership that knows what they are doing. Did you buy new or used? Pictures of the oil where you see it will help us help you.

Screenshot_20230619-142939_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, I Was told by the dealer where I bought my Jet ski at, the oil doesn’t have to be changed until the PWC has a minimum of 20hrs on it.
So I did not change the oil at all.
He probably figured most skis gets used the most during the first year and most people hit the 20 hr mark before they hit the 4 year mark,

First time PWC owner don’t know much. Jet ski turns on and the oil shows on the dip stick 20.
I don't know what level "20" is, is that low, medium high ? or is that the display screen like a car will show you a percentage of life left ?

if it's a screen reading you should check the dip stick for a quantity reading,

There is oil stain where the filter is so I am guessing that’s where the leak is coming from?
you never told us how much oil is in the hull, a stain, a drop, an ounce, it's all over everywhere ???

if it's just the stain and your dipstick reads anything but low it's probably not much to worry about, my fear was their was oil everywhere and the engine shut itself down,

Kathychang

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is a 10 hour break in oil change interval, not 20 hours. You are overdue for an oil change if one has not been done since new.. Info from owners manual for a 2017 EX...Did you buy new or used? Pictures of the oil where you see it will help us help you.

View attachment 202388
I bought it brand new.

Last edited by a moderator:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
It is a 10 hour break in oil change interval, not 20 hours. You are overdue for an oil change if one has not been done since new.. Info from owners manual for a 2017 EX...Find a new jet ski dealership that knows what they are doing. Did you buy new or used? Pictures of the oil where you see it will help us help you.

View attachment 202388
My dealer told me to bring mine in after 20, not 10. Said they're still breaking in between 10-20, even though that's what's in the manual. Nearly 200 trouble-free hours after that.

Kathychang

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
He probably figured most skis gets used the most during the first year and most people hit the 20 hr mark before they hit the 4 year mark,

I don't know what level "20" is, is that low, medium high ? or is that the display screen like a car will show you a percentage of life left ?

if it's a screen reading you should check the dip stick for a quantity reading,

you never told us how much oil is in the hull, a stain, a drop, an ounce, it's all over everywhere ???

if it's just the stain and your dipstick reads anything but low it's probably not much to worry about, my fear was their was oil everywhere and the engine shut itself down,
Sorry.
The stain is not everywhere it’s just laying at the bottom of it. Also, the dipstick 20 means it’s low.
The dipstick shows full at the top and 20 at the bottom where it says low.

Kathychang

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you everyone for your responses. I am going to change the oil filter because it is completely rusty and I am going to change the oil as well. I am not listening to the people at the dealer anymore I think they just want money from me. After I change the oil, I will repost with an update.

Kathychang

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My dealer told me to bring mine in after 20, not 10. Said they're still breaking in between 10-20, even though that's what's in the manual. Nearly 200 trouble-free hours after that.

Attachments

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Looks like a sloppy oil change. When you remove the filter, put a bag over the filter as you unscrew and a bunch of shop rags underneath the filter (old tshirts or whatever). You'll still get some drips but it'll be manageable.

Kathychang

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks like a sloppy oil change. When you remove the filter, put a bag over the filter as you unscrew and a bunch of shop rags underneath the filter (old tshirts or whatever). You'll still get some drips but it'll be manageable.
My filter is like gone into rust. Again, I am a first time PWC owner. What you think it is the oil filter?😂

Attachments

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I bought it brand new.
You need to take it back to the service department where you bought it and let them figure it out.....that's what a warranty is for.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In a salt water enviroment, that rust will happen quickly if the oil filter paint got scratched.

Kathychang

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You need to take it back to the service department where you bought it and let them figure it out.....that's what a warranty is for.
It’s a 2019 I think the warranty is over.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Kathychang

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes. It has 15 hours and I bought it brand new back in 2019. I barely don’t use it.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So I did not change the oil at all. First time PWC owner don’t know much. Jet ski turns on and the oil shows on the dip stick 20. There is oil stain where the filter is so I am guessing that’s where the leak is coming from?
The dealer was probably assuming you would have hit 20 hours in the first season.... You have had this going on 4 years and never did any service to it? Again the manual tells you xx hours or xx time (months).