• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shaft bearings SHOT!!! Now stuck shaft...ugh!

Paulie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Paulie There wasn't much grease around the bearings actually it all seemed to be in the cone. I cleaned out what I thought was good put the new grease in the cones then reassembled. I also installed new O rings from the dealer. I just used a rag to wipe e'm down as best as possible. No air or special solutions.
Thanks @Rigger

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do dealers not carry that grease? I know it may be cheaper to order it, but I don't hate my local dealer so I don't mind buying stuff from them. Just wondering.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Your Yamaha dealer has all of the supplies you need. That is the same place I get mine! I don't know why so many people try to save a few bucks, but they end up mixing greases that are not compatible to save pennies. Just buy what your manual details and you will be fine.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My first stop was my Yamaha Boat dealer. Then I called every other Yamaha lubricant dealer within 50 miles. No one carries it in my area.

jetboater4life

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Your Yamaha dealer has all of the supplies you need.
This is true depending on how you look at it. My closest dealer, one of the largest in the world, does not carry yamaha fogging spray, and a few other basic things which I don't recall at the moment. They do carry fogging spray, just not the yamaha stuff. :(

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Dang, Yamaha doesn't even have their own stuff. I had the same issue when I bought the new boat. They had it in bulk of course, but didn't have tubes. They ordered it for me though.

DUSTOFF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I went out looking for Loctite® 567 and Yamalube Molybdenum Disulfide Grease.

I came home with Permatex High Temperature Thread Sealant which I believe to be an easily obtainable alternative to Loctite 567.

I also brought home some Lithium based Moly grease. I changed my mind and ordered Honda Moly Grease which will be here Friday to get her assembled before the weekend. I also ordered a tube of Yamalube Molybdenum Disulfide Grease which will be here a week from Friday for future usage.
@Bruce I found this as an alternative to the Yamaha grease. It sounds like it is very similar to both the Loctite 567 and the Permatex thread sealant. Do you think it could be used for both the driveshaft spline and the impeller threads?

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Curious what area we are looking for grease, is it for the cone on back of impeller? My manual says EPNOC AP #O lubricant or equivelant. Can not find the EPNOC so not sure what is suppose to go in the cone area.

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also found this

The same day I put up this post I sent an e-mail to Exxon. I thought everyone else might be interested in what they have to say.

I told them I had an application that required EPNOC Grease AP #0 and I asked them what it was and which of their products would meet the specification. (By the way they also own Mobil oil.) Here is their answer:

EPNOC GREASE AP 0 is an extreme pressure multipurpose industrial grease designed for applications where heavy loads, shock loads, or water contamination are present. It is a lithium soap grease incorporating extreme pressure additives and a well refined, high VI oil.

Depending on the application, Mobilux EP 0 or Mobilux AW 0 are suggested.

dan144k

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@fairpilot
Cool research on the mystery grease.

If you are replacing your impeller, I know the manual says to use the lock tight 567 on the impeller, however the dealer mechanic told me they always use never seize on the impeller threads. And after I had problems and ruined a shaft and impeller . I tend to agree.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
With left hand threads the impeller will always be spinning in a direction to tighten, loctite would be extreme overkill.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Loctite 567 isn't a thread locker, it is a sealant to prevent transfer of fluid/oil/grease. Here is the info from Loctite's website.

"Loctite® 567™ PST® Thread Sealant is a general purpose instant sealer for tapered and straight/tapered fittings. With excellent solvent resistance, it can prevent galling and withstand temperatures up to 400° F (204°C). Excellent for high pressure applications: locks and seals tapered metal, pipe threads and fittings. It is ideal for stainless steel, aluminum, galvanized metal and other inert metals. Disassembles with hand tools.

Loctite Thread Sealants
Thread sealants prevent leakage of gases and liquids from pipe joints. All such joints are considered to be dynamic due to vibration, changing pressures or changing temperatures. Loctite anaerobic sealants cure to insoluble tough plastic thread fillers which prevent leakage regardless of the torque applied."

I expect with its teflon type thread filling, that it gets sticky and hard to get the parts apart regardless if it is a thread locker or not. There are good anti-seize products out there, and I get why techs would start using anti-seize, knowing how many have had issues getting the impeller off the dang shaft. And I am wondering why a sealant is needed in this area myself. I just wanted to post that Loctite does make other products than thread lockers and this is one of them. I am sure it is more waterproof than anti-seize...here is what permatex says about their products. This is the standard anti-seize you get at the autoparts store...

A highly refined blend of aluminum, copper and graphite lubricants. Use during assembly to prevent galling, corrosion and seizing due to weathering or chemicals. Anti-Seize assures easier disassembly. Temperature range: -60°F to 1600°F (-51°C to 871°C). Salt, corrosion and moisture resistant – ideal for marine use. Non-aerosol version meets Mil Spec #907E. Aerosol - Level 3 *NFPA Fire Code 30B - See more at: http://www.permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/lubricants/specialty-lubricants-anti-seize/permatex-anti-seize-lubricant-detail#sthash.YgNwnF90.dpuf"

Here is an available all copper version of it, what I use all the time for spark plugs and wheel lugs...

"A premium quality copper anti-seize and thread lubricant that may be used to prevent seizing, corrosion and galling where high temperature conditions exist. Contains a high percentage of micro-fine copper flakes in a semi-synthetic grease carrier and is fortified with high quality rust and corrosion inhibitors. Temperature range: -30°F to 1800°F (-34°C to 982°C). Provides good electrical conductivity. Meets Mil Spec #907E. - See more at: http://www.permatex.com/component/virtuemart/permatex--copper-anti-seize-lubricant-detail#sthash.9qvRPJ5w.dpuf"

What I find interesting is that the anti-seize compounds are only water resistant, not waterproof. That said, the statements made by Loctite, don't say "waterproof" either. But they do say that they will seal pipe threads from leakage of gases and liquids from pipe joints. So I don't know for sure, but I tend to think that a Yamaha tech may do things to make his life easier, not to make your wallet stay full. I wonder if there is a Tech bulletin out on this?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@txav8r Mel - so thread sealant/anti-seize for the shaft and impeller, If I follow correctly.
But what about the pump bearings, in your opinion? I, for one, am not sure one needs high heat-resistant grease for that cone. Rather, these bearings are at risk of water intrusion if a cone leaks. I still think that the magic Island Racing type of slurry maybe the way to go. Many make it by mixing marine grease with a bit of gear lube in a bowl.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@swatski , I can't advise but if I were doing any of them, I would use the recommended. If I couldn't find them, I would go to my Yamaha dealer and get them. I think the main issue is they only have some of these lubes in bulk.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Purchasing lube for the bearings (cones) sure is frustrating. Oil only: (readily available but probably need a port to get enough in). Slurry: difficult to ensure compatibility between oil, grease and any residual grease (what brand/spec/weight and where to get both is still hard and a lot of guessing with compatibility. OEM AP#0: good luck finding it. Island Racing is looking better just for convenience. Just venting...

DUSTOFF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Island Racing is looking better just for convenience. Just venting...
Until you see their "online" ordering system. Best of luck. I attempted to place an order on Wednesday night and haven't heard a word from them.
Oh and per their website, DON'T call them regarding your online order!
I assume I won't see that order, so I will probably just use gear lube.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good point! I read they were bad in that regard. I guess I will probably do the same; just put something in there and check it every season.

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Found a new thing to inspect on the boat. Might tap and gear oil mine just to keep it simple.