• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Shaft bearings SHOT!!! Now stuck shaft...ugh!

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
His went to a shop for rebuilds.

You look to have a major problem there. Are the bearings backed up in line with the nut? How was it not a major failure?

I would soak that in penetrating oil for a few days to see if you might be able to get the nut off and save the shaft.
The nut came right off easily, I will be working the shaft out today, so we will see how that works out. The o ring obviously failed me and I just never thought to check it... even after all the posts that told me to. If I do get the bearings in, I am really confused on how to pack them.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to send it out... I have to have my boat out of my marina by the end of the month. They have gotten ridiculous with lease prices and with retirement coming I don't have a choice but to terminate it. If I can't get the boat to the ramp, my last hail mary is that they can put the boat on my trailer (which is another story) with the fork lift.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are the bearings backed up in line with the nut? How was it not a major failure?

I would soak that in penetrating oil for a few days to see if you might be able to get the nut off and save the shaft.
Bruce,

As life would have it, I had not seen my boat for just over a year... it just sat in dry storage corroding away. My fault... I think the shaft is okay, but I won't know until today when I try to get the bearings out. And what do you mean "Are the bearings backed up in line with the nut?"

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So... has anyone had experience pushing out the bearings/spacer assembly out of the housing? @Murf'n'surf, did you push 'em out or send the whole thing to Riva... I can't remember? Here is where I'm at:

20230520_121135.jpg20230520_121143.jpg

Last edited:

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So... much progress today. Got the assembly out thanks to some PB Blaster, some heat, a 4lb sledge hammer, and a 7/8 deep well socket that I need to replace. :p

Make sure you press (beat) from fore to aft on the housing because there is a lip cast into the housing on the fore end.

Might get this fixed today!

20230520_130332.jpg20230520_130450.jpg20230520_131018.jpg20230520_131025.jpg

Last edited:

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, since these parts are aftermarket... can anyone help with order and direction for the seals?
20230520_134715.jpg20230520_134731.jpg

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think I got it... looking at the price of the seals (high to low), where they fall in the schematic, and how they are dipicted:

Capture.PNG

I choose this:

20230520_151312.jpg

Top of pic toward the bow, most expensive forward according to the manual.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like you are coming along nicely. Yes, a press is best for the bearings, but as you found, a socket works in a pinch. And those breakout diagrams are godsends when it comes to figuring out things...

Not a hard job, but takes a while and some patience...

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like you are coming along nicely. Yes, a press is best for the bearings, but as you found, a socket works in a pinch. And those breakout diagrams are godsends when it comes to figuring out things...

Not a hard job, but takes a while and some patience...
And a beer or three... :cool:

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well.... pressed in the new bearings and seals feeling pretty good, until... we noticed a crack in the housing. I know it was not a result of getting the old assembly out because I have a pic I took before we started, kinda made me sick that I didn't see it before we started... must explain the water intrusion, but how did it get cracked?

Before attempted repairs (beating):

20230520_121135e.jpg

After pressing in new bearings:

20230520_201932e.jpg20230520_201937e.jpg

So, I guess it's time to backup and punt... :p

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@cwoav8r, any chance that water got in there and froze?

Glad you found the crack now instead of during a later rebuild.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@cwoav8r, any chance that water got in there and froze?
Not likely, the lowest temp in Naples this year was 38 degrees :cool:

I just have to think it was either corrosion related or maybe a defect in workmanship that took this long show up. I know it never hit anything.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't even know how you could hit something to make a crack there. If not a freeze, I am thinking it was a manufacturing defect.

Hard to see from the photos: does the crack go all the way into the bearing chamber?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@cwoav8r Sorry...I am no help here! I did not have the time or patience to try it myself so the entire shafts/seal/pumps went to RIVA in Pompano. They had it rebuilt in no time.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hard to see from the photos: does the crack go all the way into the bearing chamber?
I havn't really looked that hard at it... I got frustrated and set it all aside for now. :rolleyes: I'll get back to it when I get a new bearing housing.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I know it has been a problem for others ordering from Partzilla / Boats.net: @84rzv500r for example, and it happened to me this week as well. I ordered 6B6-51315-01-00 which showed shipping in 2 to 5 days. This is what I got yesterday form Partzilla:

Dear Ed,

Thank you for your recent order at Partzilla.com! Your order summary is below. The manufacturer has updated ETA dates on one or more of your items has changed.
99999-04430-00 DUCT, IMPELLER SET (Yamaha) $85.98
Available Monday, October 9, 2023

My Response:

So... that is not the part number I ordered, but I do realize that it is a replacement for the one that I did. I only picked the original number because it was listed as 2 to 5 day shipping, obviously that is not the case and I would recommend adjusting the date on the site.

I was able to source the part from another vendor with guaranteed delivery in a few days, so please cancel my order. I will attempt to do so on the website as well, I just can't waste my boating summer waiting on a part with an expected delivery of "maybe" October.

Thanks
Ed

Their response:

Good afternoon Ed,

Thank you so much for reaching out to us. We apologize for any inconvenience. I have cancelled the order per your request and issued a refund in the amount of $103.95. Please allow 5-7 business days for this to reflect in your account. If you have any other questions please do not hesitate to contact us. We appreciate your business and hope you have a great day!

Sooo... if you happen to need one, I found 'em... I have a FedEx tracking number, be here by the 5th:

I know the part number is off a little, but I won't know until it gets here... fingers crossed.

cwoav8r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea!!! Housing just got here, and it is the correct part!

20230528_122905.jpg20230528_122919.jpg20230528_122946.jpg