• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

TR-1 and 1.8’s

El Comandante

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trying to figure out if a 195 is adequate for our use but the thought of twins on a 21fter is super appealing. That and the 20degree deadrise plus 8’6 beam.

I noticed the 210 engines are tr1’s and 195 is the 1.8 SVHO. Also doing some reading learned the tr1 are used on sleds.

I don’t need to do 50 mph but do need to do 40 mph at wot w 5 adults and 2 young 3 and 6 year olds.

Is there a difference in performance, maintenance and reliability?

Im leaning towards the 21 because of the girls. I want to make sure I make it back to the dock.

Thanks in advance!

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
SHOULD be able to hit 40 in that circumstance on a 21’ with TR-1’s. Conditions will play a part in that, so maybe not always being able to hit 40. FWIW I rarely run full throttle for any length of time. Gas isn’t free lol.

El Comandante

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
SHOULD be able to hit 40 in that circumstance on a 21’ with TR-1’s. Conditions will play a part in that, so maybe not always being able to hit 40. FWIW I rarely run full throttle for any length of time. Gas isn’t free lol.
What should I expect w the 1.8 ?

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
No experience with a single, so I wouldn’t speculate.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
If you can swing it, definitely go for the 210 series with the twins - tons of torque and power, and very reliable without the supercharger hunger. Runs on regular fuel and has the added room in length and width - a couple feet makes a difference. As you said the deadrise is deeper for a smoother ride, and you should expect to see mid-40's I believe. The single 1.8 SVHO performs very well in the lighter 19' boat with similar fuel consumption, and impressive performance (49mph), but you just can't beat the impact of twins.

We opted for the 212s with the bigger 1.8's and the boat is a monster. I haven't had a good day to do a full high speed WOT run yet (lots of windy days since June), but first time I did go WOT for a few seconds I easily hit 51.8mph and felt she had more in her before backing off. Was a hot day, but just me and the wife, typical gear, and 20% fuel:

20200621_204424.jpg

We considered the 2020 195s as it ticked most of the checkboxes for us (dual seats, 7" Connext screen, etc.) but the thrill of these twins is addictive and the way she rockets out of the hole is well worth it. Having said that, WOT is fun, but does guzzle gas so 90% of the time it's cruising in the sweet spot at 5500-6000rpm.

So no matter what you buy, it'll be a fun time. :D

Ryan Meyer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have a 2018 SX210 and was able to hit 40 this weekend with 4 adults, full tank of gas and 20 to 15 mph headwind with the bimini up. Weight in the bow is what reduces speed the most because you can't trim the boat to get the bow up. Fastest I've been was in cool temps light load, 46ish.

El Comandante

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Is the tr-1 a smaller displacement engine than 1.8?

I can’t find the hp ratings.

Ryan Meyer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I believe the 1.8 is around 180 and, the Tr1 is around 115.

Bssmith1220

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

The tr-1 is a three cylinder and the 1.8 is a 4 cylinder. 1.8 hp is 180. I think think tr-1 is around 120 hp (not 100% sure on that).

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Most guess around 120-125 hp for the TR-1. I’d love about 30% more...

BrandonG

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think in your scenario you can reach the speeds in a 195, However you are 1 person away from max capacity in the AR195 so the bigger boat will be something you can grow into, bring kids friends ect..

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yes as Bssmith said, 1049cc 3-cyl vs 1812cc 4-cyl
Yamaha doesn't officially state power ratings to avoid the numbers comparisons although KW/h ratings are stamped on the boats which can be converted to hp so 177hp roughly with the 1.8's. Not sure of the numbers for the TR's.

What matters is how the engine performs with the jetski or boat in which it is used. I did a lot of comparisons between Yamaha and BRP and found the Yamaha 1.8 engines seem a little more efficient at higher rpms but similar performance in similar configs. We drove a Vortex 203 250hp and a Yamaha AR195 and both had similar performance with the edge going to the Yamaha mostly due to smaller hull size but similar weight. Didn't get a chance to drive a twin engine but we wanted them for the added performance and redundant safety, but the twins really perform well, better than I expected. If you want performance, you want twin jets as the difference is dramatic.

If you expect to have friends and family along, the bigger boat with twins is likely the better option.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Get at least the 210, you won't be disappointed. The extra room is great. Only thing better would of been the 240 for some more room. We are very pleased with the boat and price point and regularly have 6-8 on board and towing all kinds of water sports. It has no problem pulling anything even a 3 person big mable hd with 3 people in it and 6 people in boat. Barely even know it was back there.

If you can afford the 212 then get that. The 1.8's are very nice. Either way you will be fine. Buy as much boat as you can budget for, everything else falls into place.

WOT, Full tank, gear, coolers and 9 people with Bimini down and very nice smooth water I was hitting between 37-40. My max speed with 2, Full tank is 45.4, as of two days ago.

I have added alot of mods, the only thing that I wish it had is a better stereo. Easy to upgrade, but we aren't looking for monstrous sound, just more that what we have. May just change out the speakers to see if that will do it.

El Comandante

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This has been great. Thank you all.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
This has been great. Thank you all.
@El Comandante .....I agree that you want twins for your needs. I would definitely opt for the 1.8s over the TR-1s for many reasons. Just FYI - my 2020 SX 195 with the supercharged SVHO will smoke any twin. With a 1/2 tank of gas, 2 adults and normal gear it hit 50.8 mph on two independent gps units and that was on a hot day. BTW that was the one time I have run it up - just advanced the throttle medium speed to hit WOT then backed it right off. I have rarely run any of my marine engines at WOT unless they had a balanced and blueprinted engine and prop with a very good rev limiter. :cool:

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Get at least the 210, you won't be disappointed. If you can afford the 212 then get that. The 1.8's are very nice. Either way you will be fine. Buy as much boat as you can budget for, everything else falls into place.
I agree...if you're buying new, buy your second boat first and you won't be disappointed and looking for a reason to upgrade.
I have added alot of mods, the only thing that I wish it had is a better stereo. Easy to upgrade, but we aren't looking for monstrous sound, just more that what we have. May just change out the speakers to see if that will do it.
I had the same issue, the stock Polks sounded ok but needed more "oomph" to get them going. Better speakers will sound nicer, but won't be any louder. I added a compact but good JL Audio MX amp to the Fusion head unit and now the speakers pound nicely. Not as loud as guys like @Hoyt but loud enough for us while cruising and too loud when floating.
:D

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I have rarely run any of my marine engines at WOT unless they had a balanced and blueprinted engine and prop with a very good rev limiter. :cool:
I wouldn't worry about going WOT with these engines at all, they have rev limiters around 7800 I believe and racing mods have put them above 8000rpm without issues.They're the same engines used in jetskis and they race around all day without issues. And marine engines are not designed or tuned the same as a car and are expected to rev higher and for longer periods. I've done WOT on many boats and engine types over the years and never a problem when they're not abused. Crank it open from time to time and enjoy...just need some calmer days to get out there again to see what this gal can do!
:woot:

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I wouldn't worry about going WOT with these engines at all, they have rev limiters around 7800 I believe and racing mods have put them above 8000rpm without issues.They're the same engines used in jetskis and they race around all day without issues. And marine engines are not designed or tuned the same as a car and are expected to rev higher and for longer periods. I've done WOT on many boats and engine types over the years and never a problem when they're not abused. Crank it open from time to time and enjoy...just need some calmer days to get out there again to see what this gal can do!
:woot:
@212s .....I certainly agree with you that Yamaha has placed reasonable limits on their engines (in fact Yamaha has downplayed the HP of their engines and deliberately governed the speed of them for USCG and insurance ratings)...... and from discussing the mods RIVA makes to the SVHO engines and some of the guys on the Australian racing circuit who have crazy staged their motors, I know the SVHOs can handle a lot more....it's just that I really hate to run marine motors to their edge. I also have to agree that finding water with just a light ripple to ease water to hull surface tension and winding-up the motor(s) is hard to beat, thrill wise! Full disclosure - in my younger days I did some crazy fast boating including too much WOT operation. :cool:

El Comandante

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now the project is to figure out how to fit the 21 which is 24 on the trailer, but w the trailer tongue that folds is 22, into a two car garage that is 20 ft long and still let my wife park her explorer :woot:

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
On the 1.8's what are you guys seeing for max RPM?