• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Trailer bunks broke what's the best wood to replace the old stuff

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@HELP ok so went to pull the boat out and thank god I walked up to get truck as the crew with me today would have just backed it down and it would have been a disaster! I'm in a time crunch as with it being a holiday weekend I can only leave my boat in the wAter where it's at tonight. What is the best wood to use from home depot or lowes also is there a carpet I can get from there that will work? I'm going to replace all if I can get the items I need tonight. I guess I need the wood, carpet, stainless staples and screws I also think I saw I need underwater glue is that correct? If I'm missing something let me know.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Go with pressure treated lumber for sure.

Home Depot should have a cheap Berber carpet. Berber is the best to use because the fibers don't seperate under load and expose the crusty backing. Berber will require a longer staple and most likely a power stapler.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
They have that porch carpet you could use...but a good stapler until you can do a better job. Did someone steal the board??

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes to stainless staples.

Glue is not necessary but might help during installation. Look for spray on 3M adhesive glue.

Do you have a west marine close by? They stock bunk carpet.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes to stainless staples.

Glue is not necessary but might help during installation. Look for spray on 3M adhesive glue.

Do you have a west marine close by? They stock bunk carpet.
I do but they close at 5pm. Any specific pressure treated wood I should get or it doesn't matter?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do but they close at 5pm. Any specific pressure treated wood I should get or it doesn't matter?
There's really only one choice of pressure treated in the size you need.

Make sure you have all of your lag bolts still.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Murf'n'surf correct...if you have time, fit your pieces and do correct ...if in a pinch...make board like other side with whatever cartpet....you can take your time at home making correct and install next launch....wow...glad you noticed that before load

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
kiln dried would be the best, I think Home Depot carries it but for a quick fix any pressure treated wood will work.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do not deal with lumbar a lot so I bought 2 x 6 treated wood but now that I've got here the tag says 2 x 6 treated but it's is actually .5 inch short on all sides is that because it's treated?

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
kiln dried would be the best, I think Home Depot carries it but for a quick fix any pressure treated wood will work.
Why kiln dried?
Doesn't kiln dried have less flex than treated? Doesn't it absorb water sitting outside then rot?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
image.jpeg

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I do not deal with lumbar a lot so I bought 2 x 6 treated wood but now that I've got here the tag says 2 x 6 treated but it's is actually .5 inch short on all sides is that because it's treated?
All boards are smaller than their names. That's normal.

latitudeadjuster

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It will work to get your boat loaded and home....get correct stuff for next launch and replace...start thimaking about replacing all the boards.

I think is odd if nothing is remainin and still asking...did someone take it for their needs??

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Why kiln dried?
Doesn't kiln dried have less flex than treated? Doesn't it absorb water sitting outside then rot?
Kiln dried treated wood won't shrink like regular pressure treated and typically will hold a lag screw better. For bunks, shrinkage might not be a problem .

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It will work to get your boat loaded and home....get correct stuff for next launch and replace...start thimaking about replacing all the boards.

I think is odd if nothing is remainin and still asking...did someone take it for their needs??

No I had taken the last bolt out and removed it. It was half hanging off missing two bolts. I'm replacing all now and going to do it correctly and just be done with it my local Walmart stocks bunk board carpet so I'm going to grab it and use it. I figure if I got the boat off might as well do it all. How anal were you guys about making sure they where back on and the spacing between boards was exactly the same? I have replaced the rear two starting on the two center boards. The actually look pretty good almost was going to leave them out of laziness lol but I'm pulling them as well ugh

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No I had taken the last bolt out and removed it. It was half hanging off missing two bolts. I'm replacing all now and going to do it correctly and just be done with it my local Walmart stocks bunk board carpet so I'm going to grab it and use it. I figure if I got the boat off might as well do it all. How anal were you guys about making sure they where back on and the spacing between boards was exactly the same? I have replaced the rear two starting on the two center boards. The actually look pretty good almost was going to leave them out of laziness lol but I'm pulling them as well ugh
As long as your vertical supports haven't moved, which I doubt they did, mounting the boards on the supports will be fine even if not is the exact same location as previous boards.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As long as your vertical supports haven't moved, which I doubt they did, mounting the boards on the supports will be fine even if not is the exact same location as previous boards.
Mine are all welded to the trailer if they move its time for a new trailer lol. Thanks @Andy S you just made my project a little quicker

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you @Murf'n'surf @Andy S @latitudeadjuster @itsdgm putting the tools away now I really appreciate the quick responses to help. It was a frustrating project as I had to do it by myself and all by hand since I couldn't find the drill bit I was looking for but one less thing to think about now. Only positive is I left the boat in the water in a slip so I guess no excuse not to go out tomorrow now. I had planned to do this in the off season I guess I will replace this project with replacing the leaf springs this off season ugh. By then I will basically have a new trailer as I replace all brake pads, lines, rotors, and bearings already this year.