• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What do you do for a living?

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Operations Analyst for one of the largest banks in the country. Also do car audio installs on Saturdays.
Update: took a promotion from the original posting about 8 months ago. Just finished my MBA and switched over to an IT services firm as a Legal Operations Manager.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I was an automotive mechanic for 7 years.. but 3 years ago I moved to BIM coordination then electrical design engineer for high-rise buildings in NYC. I was just offered a position as a "Engineer" at another firm. It's a very general title because they want me to learn mechanical and bounce between all the disciplines. I don't have my bachelors, but being a master of BIM and all the programs has opened many doors for me. I'm trying to collect as much knowledge about the construction industry as possible and hopefully will lead to business owner or project manager.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was an automotive mechanic for 7 years.. but 3 years ago I moved to BIM coordination then electrical design engineer for high-rise buildings in NYC. I was just offered a position as a "Engineer" at another firm. It's a very general title because they want me to learn mechanical and bounce between all the disciplines. I don't have my bachelors, but being a master of BIM and all the programs has opened many doors for me. I'm trying to collect as much knowledge about the construction industry as possible and hopefully will lead to business owner or project manager.
It's amazing how much that software has progressed. I was in the architectural field in the late 90's, early '00s, and everything was still VERY much 2D based. Moving to something like Revit alone was a MAJOR undertaking. Now we have these BIM's that have all the disciplines designing in the same place. I wonder how much this has really increased the efficiency in the construction world though. My last foray into that was about this time last year working on the cooperage equipment in the Old Forester Experience in downtown Louisville. We still had some MAJOR conflicts that had to be resolved from time to time despite the GC having a full BIM setup.

Regardless of it's effectiveness, if you hold the keys to the BIM, you'll go far. There isn't a discipline that isn't represented there, and those that understand how it works are in high demand!

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It's amazing how much that software has progressed. I was in the architectural field in the late 90's, early '00s, and everything was still VERY much 2D based. Moving to something like Revit alone was a MAJOR undertaking. Now we have these BIM's that have all the disciplines designing in the same place. I wonder how much this has really increased the efficiency in the construction world though. My last foray into that was about this time last year working on the cooperage equipment in the Old Forester Experience in downtown Louisville. We still had some MAJOR conflicts that had to be resolved from time to time despite the GC having a full BIM setup.

Regardless of it's effectiveness, if you hold the keys to the BIM, you'll go far. There isn't a discipline that isn't represented there, and those that understand how it works are in high demand!
The problem with BIM is that companies are confused to what BIM is and the skills required. I have seen people out-sourcing BIM to India and the quality is crap. It's the worst thing that I have ever seen. They copy the design drawings pipe-by-pipe and send it to the GC for conversion to shop drawings. And compounding the problem is that the design engineers know nothing about construction. Coming into this company as sort of BIM consultant I have learned that designers know nothing about the real world and it's up to the contractors or competent BIM coordinators to fix everything. And the owners know and are not shy to tell the designers "I only need your drawings to get the approval of DOB and AHJ, my contractor will build everything." That's right, they don't necessarily care what the designer puts on drawings because their contractor is going to create their own as-built drawings. I think the future is design-build construction and that's where i'm looking to go. Almost everything under one roof at the GC office. How I fit in that equation is important to me. Project Manager? Engineer? BIM manager? and that's what i'm trying to discover now.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The problem with BIM is that companies are confused to what BIM is and the skills required. I have seen people out-sourcing BIM to India and the quality is crap. It's the worst thing that I have ever seen. They copy the design drawings pipe-by-pipe and send it to the GC for conversion to shop drawings. And compounding the problem is that the design engineers know nothing about construction. Coming into this company as sort of BIM consultant I have learned that designers know nothing about the real world and it's up to the contractors or competent BIM coordinators to fix everything. And the owners know and are not shy to tell the designers "I only need your drawings to get the approval of DOB and AHJ, my contractor will build everything." That's right, they don't necessarily care what the designer puts on drawings because their contractor is going to create their own as-built drawings. I think the future is design-build construction and that's where i'm looking to go. Almost everything under one roof at the GC office. How I fit in that equation is important to me. Project Manager? Engineer? BIM manager? and that's what i'm trying to discover now.
I concur. Has to be good information, has to accessible to everyone involved, and has to be realistic to what can actually be constructed.

I do similar work as a mechanical engineer and get comments all the time about "draw whatever you want, I'll figure it out"......well that prompted me very early in my career to find ways to get involved in the shop. I stick my nose into every single thing the shop makes that has my name on the drawing. I bugged them at first, until they realized I was there to learn and make life easier for them. Now our drawings are rarely "asbuilt", instead the design is thought out ahead of time knowing the limitations of the shop doing the work. It takes a "full service" firm for that to really get moving in the construction industry. Gotta have all disciplines under one roof. From the architect to the general contractor. If you drop one of those links, all the prep work goes away.

I'm going to rant for a minute on the design engineers knowing nothing. I blame two things for this lack of seasoning. Engineering firms are constantly pushing to be more profitable, which leads to hiring junior engineers instead of senior level positions. Sure they can do the math, but they don't know how to put it together. There is no real world understanding built into the application of the math. This only gets remedied with time and experience. There is simply no other way, than to really see what happens in the field to solve the problem, and what implications it has based on the math you did in the office. Until that understanding is firmly set with experience, the design engineer should work at a junior level and be reviewed heavily. The second issue is the constant push for college education. This has driven the price of admission higher, which in turn drives the desire for higher salaries, which is keeping young people away from "hands on" trades and positions. Most often the best engineer in the building is the one that worked on the shop floor, or installed the equipment in his early career. That guy will have far better insight into what is REALLY happening than any freshly minted engineer from college. Yet the pay disparity is typically the other way around. The kid with the degree will get a higher wage than the guy with the experience. That devaluing of experience, and overvaluing of formal education will continue the "dumb engineer" trend. It's hard to find a company that values experience as a valid form of credentialing anymore. Not sure why, but that sure seems the status of the current workforce.

Sorry for the rant :D

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You're on point with your rant. I would've been the perfect candidate for designing cars because of my mechanic experience. Basically I had reverse engineered problems for 7 years of my life and thats advantageous to designing things. Instead I stumbled into the construction industry, but I carry that mechanical aptitude with me. And fortunately the aptitude has been respected in my industry. I've had a job interviewer (owner of the company) tell me, "But you don't have your bachelor's degree" and I replied "me and you both know that isn't important to my performance" and she AGREED with me! There are other people that struggle because they haven't experienced real world things and in the fashion of current memes: "You never struggled to fix things, and it shows."

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You're on point with your rant. I would've been the perfect candidate for designing cars because of my mechanic experience. Basically I had reverse engineered problems for 7 years of my life and thats advantageous to designing things. Instead I stumbled into the construction industry, but I carry that mechanical aptitude with me. And fortunately the aptitude has been respected in my industry. I've had a job interviewer (owner of the company) tell me, "But you don't have your bachelor's degree" and I replied "me and you both know that isn't important to my performance" and she AGREED with me! There are other people that struggle because they haven't experienced real world things and in the fashion of current memes: "You never struggled to fix things, and it shows."
I was the same way. Had some sympathetic bosses that let me get my foot in the door in R&D without a degree, using my mechanical aptitude as my only real credential. I left there and took a risk on teh family business that didn't pan out. Went to return to R&D and found nobody would hire me without that piece of paper. SO I took 4 years and went back and got that paper. Now the combination of real world experience and formal education is a potent combo. My compensation reflects that too. Have a shade over $40k invested in my education over 4yrs time. I'm making a shade over $50k/yr more now than I was when I left the family business to return to school. Pretty clear the paper was worthwhile, however in my interview it was quite literally a checkbox that had to be clicked to continue. VP of engineering asked "Do you have a degree?"..."yes sir"..."Good, now, what do you really know?". They are far more concerned with what I can do, than they are with what piece of paper is hanging on the wall..........sucks that it works that way, and it really shouldn't. There are far smarter and more capable folks out there than myself, that will get passed over because of that lack of paper.

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I was the same way. Had some sympathetic bosses that let me get my foot in the door in R&D without a degree, using my mechanical aptitude as my only real credential. I left there and took a risk on teh family business that didn't pan out. Went to return to R&D and found nobody would hire me without that piece of paper. SO I took 4 years and went back and got that paper. Now the combination of real world experience and formal education is a potent combo. My compensation reflects that too. Have a shade over $40k invested in my education over 4yrs time. I'm making a shade over $50k/yr more now than I was when I left the family business to return to school. Pretty clear the paper was worthwhile, however in my interview it was quite literally a checkbox that had to be clicked to continue. VP of engineering asked "Do you have a degree?"..."yes sir"..."Good, now, what do you really know?". They are far more concerned with what I can do, than they are with what piece of paper is hanging on the wall..........sucks that it works that way, and it really shouldn't. There are far smarter and more capable folks out there than myself, that will get passed over because of that lack of paper.
I think that I will find myself in the same position as you. Right now I have crafted my resume to avoid the topic of formal education. I have removed "Associates in" and just left "Engineering" and the college. The rest of my resume is stuffed with real world experience and highlighted projects that overshadow the education part of the resume. Now the employers ask "When will you get your PE?" and I know it requires 10 years work experience to get it without the Bachelors... "I think in time that I will get it" haha

2015 SX210

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Microbiologist in the pharmaceutical industry

Steve Risley

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Innovation Contract Mfg. Manager for a very large beverage company...I work on all of our new products that are produced at co-packers. Lots of products that never make it big time, but every now & then one becomes a winner.

Dennis P

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Real Estate Broker with Remax since 1998

My two favorite summer pass times...and when the two intertwine.....PERFECT!Captain.jpg42622690_10217078225206429_1367468117613084672_n.jpg

Last edited:

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Global Alliance Director for a large consulting company. "I'm like Match.com between several large companies." Work with a lot of "innovation concepts" - like feeding the mayonnaise directly to the tuna.

Fun Fact . . . I used to work for a non-Motor division of Yamaha early in my career. Hence the Yamaha boat sitting in the slip. That was in my professional musician days.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
... I have removed "Associates in" and just left "Engineering" and the college. ...
This isn't the worst idea in the world. Speaking from the Hiring Manager's side of the table, sometimes HR overlooks otherwise qualified candidates because the Engineering Manager listed a B.S. in Engineering as a "minimum requirement" (ya gotta put SOMETHING in the Position Profile or they won't even start the hiring process). If you can slip past that first filter on semantics, the Engineering Manager may want to take a look at you based on your experience level.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Last edited: