• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Adding bushings to steering deflector nozzle to increase precision (remove slop)

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Watching...more than enough play in mine.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Ok, so after a thorough day of testing I can say it has made a huge difference. The mod didn't solve any insurmountable problems or make an overwhelming change to the handling of the boat. But, it did remove the little bit of slop I felt from the steering wheel. Before I felt like I could rotate the wheel ~30* before anything actually happened back at the nozzles. Especially at speed. Today it felt almost instantaneous. Well worth the cost and if I had another jet boat I would do it again.

Chillypilot

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bill D Thanks for the feedback. I have the same slop in my steering. I will definitely be doing this. Do you have the link to the bushing you used.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bill D I don't have an account with McMaster Carr so they wanted $42 for those bushings. Do you think an Oilite bronze bushing would work?
Ebay - Oilite Flange Bushing Bronze 1/4 id x 3/8 od x 3/8 Brass sleeve bush bearing F20

LionShare

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Sounds like an easy MOD - just my type :)

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just ordered the bushings! :D

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@buckbuck I think that bushing would work fine. I don't believe there is much to be gained from the Frelon liner. The improvement I can see comes from the decreased slop around the bolt.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My concern is that the differing metals will produce some galvanic effect (either on the post or on the jet). Then, when I passed on from worrying about that, I was worried that the Oilite would not work well for an application constantly exposed to water (will the impregnated oil just be replaced with impregnated water?). Which got me into all sorts of research that was completely beyond my expertise.

Anyone have any experience to be able to address these questions?

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Easy install! bad weather prevents test ride though. I did notice the remnants of the original plastic bushings still there. They were worn to almost nothing, and clearly weren't helping in any way.
Thanks @Bruce for the tip!

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The oilite is fine everywhere. Sintered brass which has low galvanic action. The ones used on the nozzles are oem stainless steel. Cam.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce or anyone else, is there a bushing we can add on the other end where the cables meet the steering wheel? I still have some slop,but definitely not where they meet the nozzles. Ill take a look behind the helm to see if i can figure it out.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce or anyone else, is there a bushing we can add on the other end where the cables meet the steering wheel? I still have some slop,but definitely not where they meet the nozzles. Ill take a look behind the helm to see if i can figure it out.
I did not look at adding bushing to that end. Will be interested to read what you find. I did disassemble and lubricate that end. I recommend blue thread locker when you reassemble as if those bolts come loose you lose steering.

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I had a bolt come loose on my steering on this boat,back in 2015. I assumed i snapped a cable,but then found the bolt just came loose. Was able to put it back together enough to get to the marina luckily.
Ill look today and see what I can figure out.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a bolt come loose in the helm and assumed I had broken a steering cable. I managed to get her back onto the trailer then did not realize the bolt was missing until I was replacing the cables. You did a better job of diagnosing than I!

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bad news, at least for me, all the extra play i have is in that steering box behind the wheel. Now to figure out if it is adjustable...

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So far, i found that bolt in the center of that gold triangle bracket was loose. Tightening it solved alot of my sloppiness. Still may be a little. Did some reading, no adjustment available on the teleflex steering box.

Attachments

Last edited:

zelone

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I took it for a short ride and i am satisfied with the steering. Play is minimal, after adding the bushings, and tightening that bolt.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The original ebay link is no longer active and google is helping me find PSF0305-04,

I'd like to copy Bruce's mod and would prefer to drill a bearing rather than the housing,

Can somebody (anybody) help me with a link to the right bearing,
I would prefer Amazon if available, then McMaster-car then ebay

thanks,