• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Any good <Scarab Jet Boats>

fairpilot

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Out of all the new jetboats coming out, chaparral is the most impressive so far. I just feel all the companies, yamaha included are too high with their prices. Maybe the competition will change that a bit.

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Boating in general is crazy expensive. I definitely agree that all new boat prices are too high, including Yamaha. That said, I think Yamaha still provides good value relative to the other jetboats or open bow I/O's. The only exception may be the Chaparral, but we will have to wait to see how thier pricing shakes out. I have a feeling Chaparral will be considerably more expensive than the Yamaha. For my money, I purchase a late model pre-owned boat that has low hours and has been well cared for. Once you take the new boat on the water the first time, it is no longer new and indistinguishable from any other well taken care of gently used boat. I also take into account the total cost of ownership. In this area, I think the Yamaha wins hands down. This forum is a large reason for that because with the help of the members on this board, virtually all problems can be repaired without bringing it to the dealer. Their will be considerably less knowledge/experience for any of the new jetboats.....although I am sure the people here will do their best to help. Another concern I have is that new players may not fare well in the jetboat segment and then stop production which will leave owners with a boat that is no longer manufactured (think Sea-Doo). I have to imagine this makes support more difficult as well as lowering resale value. Yamaha's, IMO, have demonstrated the ability to retain their value. Buying Yamaha is a much safer purchase if total cost of ownership is important to you.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Out of all the new jetboats coming out, chaparral is the most impressive so far. I just feel all the companies, yamaha included are too high with their prices. Maybe the competition will change that a bit.
I'm not sure how you can say that "Yamaha included are too high" with scarab, chaparral, glastron being so much. If anything Yamaha has room to work with.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think the main reason for the crazy price increases has been the GOVT and EPA regs for the engines. My 2006 18ft was 17K new and now it is 26K for the same boat! Thank you government and central banks!!

(Thats a 6% price increase every year)

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm not sure how you can say that "Yamaha included are too high" with scarab, chaparral, glastron being so much. If anything Yamaha has room to work with.
The feedback I got on pricing is that yamaha generally doesn't negotiate much off of msrp where as most other boat mfgs do. Either way I'm hoping the competition gives yamaha a reality check so that they put more focus on R&d instead of just changing the color schemes every year to try and justify their annual 5% increase in price. When the 242ls was introduce in 2010 it was $49k, now it is a lot closer to $60k (the last price I saw was $57k but I don't know if that was for. A 2013 or 2014. Although the price has increased I don't see any improvements that justify it. The tower folds and the stereo system is better as is the low speed steering (because of the extra detente in the throttle I think ) but $7k to$10k more for those features? I don't know what the guys a Yamaha corp. are smoking but if this pricing strategy continues they will have to start sharing it with potential customers in order make the sales.

BoaterGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The feedback I got on pricing is that yamaha generally doesn't negotiate much off of msrp where as most other boat mfgs do. Either way I'm hoping the competition gives yamaha a reality check so that they put more focus on R&d instead of just changing the color schemes every year to try and justify their annual 5% increase in price. When the 242ls was introduce in 2010 it was $49k, now it is a lot closer to $60k (the last price I saw was $57k but I don't know if that was for. A 2013 or 2014. Although the price has increased I don't see any improvements that justify it. The tower folds and the stereo system is better as is the low speed steering (because of the extra detente in the throttle I think ) but $7k to$10k more for those features? I don't know what the guys a Yamaha corp. are smoking but if this pricing strategy continues they will have to start sharing it with potential customers in order make the sales.
I'll agree with the most recent price increase that it is nearly unwarranted. But I also wonder if all of their boats come with CARB stuff now? That probably costs a good chunk in extras....

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Per Yamaha Sports Plazas site most of the YJB come in two flavors with CARB (California edition) and without CARB as well as in different colors, but the price for each is the same. For example, there are 6 different models of the 2014 AR 240 listed on the site, 3 with CARB 3 without and three different colors of each.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I hope that other jet boat companies put a dent in Yamaha sales. Every year, Yamaha raises the price point and next to nothing changes... At the time, they were the only game in town and abused it. Competition makes companies try harder!
Well said....we all benefit if Yamaha has to look over there shoulder a little bit!

Jet-fan-101

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I think I like the Scarab best of the current Jet Boats, but i really want a bit more luxury, maybe a Four-wins 26ft 500HP sports cruiser/cuddy
SCARAB:
The Scarab design is the hottest & most balanced, I hear the Vee hull is the deepest & may be the best handling of the jet boats (NOTE Independent comparison test needed). My Utopia is very curve bottomed & slap happy in the chop, I don’t go out on the great lakes, but handles great.
The hull looks like it will be the best performing, a sharp Vee when you want to cut through the waves but tapered front & back front for when you want handling.
Improvements ...
Needs a separate red & green floatation key fobs & colour coded ignitions to sort out the separate key idea they have, worth $2 to the manufacturer.
The scarab seats are a little awkward to change positions, good idea but operates as notchy feeling. A “D” or strap handle on top would make them very easy to move, it’s a $5 solution to manufacturer.
If you step on the seat hinge gap as you walk through, the seat does flip up & pinches your foot a bit, could use a bit of refinement on future generations.
Disappointed they didn’t save the single engine designs for Glastron & the larger 21-26ft twin engine power boats for the famous Scarab name.
Idea... What about a 29ft 3-engine racing styled boat with a cuddy cabin? I would be a tight fit, prob. staggered motors.
CHAPPARAL:
The Chaparral Vortex line looks well designed too, a little less sexy / sporty & a little more mature target? Disappointed that the 3 sizes are too similar, just stretched. I want a passenger bucket seat.
YAMAHA:
I like the Yamaha layouts & Family boat space design but the Seadoo motor/drive better.
Like the table with multiple location points. I hear they need better build quality & details
GLASTRON:
I think of these as the lower cost single engine runabouts of jet boats or a basic Family jet boat. Single engine, lower cost, lighter to tow & drop into a lake for a daytrip.
GENERAL:
I never needed a cleanout port yet & I am on a weedy cannel. I just go out on 1 engine, switch engines to rinse off the first one, then power up both when I get in to the lake. All the talk about cleanout ports, is that really necessary or could it be Yamaha marketing guys indisguise dropping “seeds of doubt”? (I am in sales & it is a sales technique).
I am disappointed that Seadoo dropped boats but it is not a concern, they are still there, motors/drives still in production PWC’s, parts available every ware & now with other brands carrying the motor/drives they live on.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First let me say Welcome Aboard!

YAMAHA:
I hear they need better build quality & details
I think the fit and finish could be better. All Yamaha's are built to a single, everything included, standard. For example, if I was buying new I would prefer to have hydro turf or sea deck throughout rather than carpet.

But other than a few rare exceptions Yamaha boats are bullet proof.

GENERAL:
I never needed a cleanout port yet & I am on a weedy cannel. I just go out on 1 engine, switch engines to rinse off the first one, then power up both when I get in to the lake. All the talk about cleanout ports, is that really necessary or could it be Yamaha marketing guys indisguise dropping “seeds of doubt”? (I am in sales & it is a sales technique).
I believe that your Sea Doo has a closed cooling system. Yamaha's circulate water from the pumps through the engines for cooling. There is a risk of flooding an engine by driving a Yamaha around on one engine so Yamaha recommends against it. I have probably used the clean out ports 5 or 6 times. I have heard friends with Jet Skis of various manufacture curse about having to get under them and clean out debris.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ima buy a bright green one!

then sink it
LOL
Oh awesome, on my pc it shows you have to click to expand too, totally fitting.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
BACK ON TOPIC
I seen a scarab on my lake yesterday!
He didn't really stop by the party cove for me to check out or anything. It looks short though! I am certain it's the 19 footer. I can certainly see the sea doo hull. Tower looked neat. Bow looked too high out of the water.
Just glad to have seen one in action! Didn't see him do any towing sports though. Of course it would have been hard to because there were millions of boats on our little lake.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello guys!

I ran across this site looking for information, and insight. I will be purchasing my Scarab today. Its the 195 HO Impulse. Ill tell you this, the asking or MSRP price is far from what you can pay depending on your negotiating skills. Im getting mine for $38,678 out the door here in Stuart,FL. Their invoice price is a little over 37k.

Mine is loaded with every option. Ill post pictures later. Im exited to finally be a part of the jet boating community. I hope just because I own one of the newcoming brands that I dont get the cold shoulder from the Yamaha folks. Anyway, mine name is Mike. Glad to meet you guys!!!

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
@ScarabMike Welcome Mike. I think you will soon see that us Yamaha guys are equally interested in what the new brands of jet boats bring to the table. Only time will tell us how good of quality they are. Can't wait to see pics. Have fun and enjoy the lake today!

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I crawled in one at highport yesterday. They look pretty nice. Congrats @ScarabMike

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks everyone!!

Im actually going to be using this boat more for the inter coastal, and some runs to Elliott Key. There are very little lakes in my area. This was one of the biggest things that lured me to this boat. The fact that its a closed loop cooling system.

To give you guys some insight, I had a 2013 Sea ray 190 Sport. I loved it dont get me wrong, but there was just some things I couldn't get around. One was the stern drive. I cant tell you how many times I hit this thing with my leg climbing up from a sand bar. The next was the prop. There are tons on barrier islands here that I see jet boats and small OB boats getting to, and I was so afraid to mess up the brand new drive. Another was ease of maintenance. Other than having to rebuild the Scarab's supercharger after every 2 years or 100 hours, everything else is a breeze.

Most of all im looking forward to the sound system, and that supercharger sound. Im a car enthusiast, and this little boat will surely keep me from buying another project import.

@ScarabMike Welcome Mike. I think you will soon see that us Yamaha guys are equally interested in what the new brands of jet boats bring to the table. Only time will tell us how good of quality they are. Can't wait to see pics. Have fun and enjoy the lake today!

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is a couple more. The one with the hull is interesting. It has a 20 degree dead rise like an offshore boat. The hull is solid feeling unlike my old Sea Ray. The Sea tril is Monday morning. More to come.

Attachments

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Are the tower speakers permanent mount on the outside? Or can you add/change with that tower. Boat looks great. Enjoy!!!