• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR190 Engine Trouble

Nickcap123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hey guys! First post but unfortunate one on the forums. 2021 AR190. 38 hours. I bought the boat with 8 hours on it a year and a half ago. Used it all last year no problems. Never towed or abused. Stored and winterized appropriately. Was having rough idling issues since the beginning of the season. No problem with top end power. After general oil change and fuel additive thinking it was stale fuel, I could not get her running right. Fouled the first set of spark plugs after test ride. Took the boat into the shop and they are telling me i have 0 compression to cylinder one, and the other 3 cylinders are showing as follows: Cyl 2-180; cyl 3-185; cyl 4-185. With a boat with such low hours I do not know how this is possible. Any thoughts?? They are in the process of tearing down the motor to see the extent of the damage. Thanks guys for the help.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's really low hours to lose compression. Any chance you're still under warranty or have YES protection here?

Be curious to see what they find once torn apart.

jdkaeser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I’d buy one of those cheap endoscope cameras that plug into your phone and put it down the spark plug hole. Try and see what is going on. If the piston doesn’t have a hole in it then at least you know you don’t have to rebuild. Could be something as little as a stuck or bent valve or bad head gasket. That low of hours it is shocking. Why did the guy sell it with only 8 hours on it?

Nickcap123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That's really low hours to lose compression. Any chance you're still under warranty or have YES protection here?

Be curious to see what they find once torn apart.
Just out of warranty. No YES warranty unfortunately.

Nickcap123

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’d buy one of those cheap endoscope cameras that plug into your phone and put it down the spark plug hole. Try and see what is going on. If the piston doesn’t have a hole in it then at least you know you don’t have to rebuild. Could be something as little as a stuck or bent valve or bad head gasket. That low of hours it is shocking. Why did the guy sell it with only 8 hours on it?
The endoscope camera is not a bad idea. Its at a authorized yamaha mechanic shop now. I gave them the go ahead to pull the head off but now thinking I should have done that, or a leak down test at least. I guess we will see what the damage is. The guy sold the boat after getting laid off soon after purchasing it.