• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Best anchor

Best anchor for a 24 foot boat

• Total voters

Dodi5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Which is the best anchor for a 24 foot boat and if you would choose a box anchor or a mantus and if you choose box please advice with the brand

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where are you boating? What kind of material is the anchor going to be in? Strong currents? How deep if water? There are so many Variables that go into choosing an anchor. I use a fluke style anchor in mud, sand and smaller rocky bottoms and I don’t have any issues. Read this article.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I bought a “large” box anchor from Slide Anchor in the off season for my 242LS and it has performed very well so far. Had the small (no medium) box anchor on my 230 (before I sold it) which worked fine but it did not play well with the 242.

I’ve had two box anchors from Slide Anchor and one off brand and the Slide Anchor products were of a higher quality. Then again, a box anchor isn’t a complicated device so even the off brand worked OK.

Dodi5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I bought a “large” box anchor from Slide Anchor in the off season for my 242LS and it has performed very well so far. Had the small (no medium) box anchor on my 230 (before I sold it) which worked fine but it did not play well with the 242.

I’ve had two box anchors from Slide Anchor and one off brand and the Slide Anchor products were of a higher quality. Then again, a box anchor isn’t a complicated device so even the off brand worked OK.
Thanks

Dodi5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Thanks

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Dodi5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Where are you boating? What kind of material is the anchor going to be in? Strong currents? How deep if water? There are so many Variables that go into choosing an anchor. I use a fluke style anchor in mud, sand and smaller rocky bottoms and I don’t have any issues. Read this article.
I’m boating in lake norman , don’t expect strong currents and I don’t think it’s super deep
  • Lake Norman’s deepest points are over 100 feet deep. The average depth is about 33 feet.
  • I think it’s bottom can be muddy

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can you send me the link please
?? I included the link. Click on the word “box anchor” takes you to Amazon page for the anchor.

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

LakesideLaw

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
13lbs mantus anchor holds right away and very strongly...but it's bulky and does not fit in the front locket. It's almost too good that I trust it blindly. It's that good, has always held on first try so far.

20lbs coated Navy Anchor holds right away and almost as strongly, but a very large swell/pull would unset it. It would reset quickly, but drag some. (No longer carry it) I padded the front locker and let it sit. Used for many years on another boat and a year on the my SX230. If I was not sometimes exposed to very large swells from passing oil tankers in a shallow beach, (where it would unset) I would probably still use this one.

4lbs Fortress Aluminum Anchor. Holds very strongly, but tricky to set in weedy bottoms, does not hold as fast as Mantus. There is a cove in my area with a tricky bottom, and I stopped trying with this anchor, sometimes takes 3 or 4 tries to grab. Everywhere else I use this one because it's light and holds strong, but for this tricky bottom place, I just throw the 13 lbs Mantus instead.

Have not tried a box anchor myself.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just remember its not always about the weight of the anchor. The amount of rode put out is equally or sometimes even more important to having an anchor properly hold the vessel.

Dodi5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The main
13lbs mantus anchor holds right away and very strongly...but it's bulky and does not fit in the front locket. It's almost too good that I trust it blindly. It's that good, has always held on first try so far.

20lbs coated Navy Anchor holds right away and almost as strongly, but a very large swell/pull would unset it. It would reset quickly, but drag some. (No longer carry it) I padded the front locker and let it sit. Used for many years on another boat and a year on the my SX230. If I was not sometimes exposed to very large swells from passing oil tankers in a shallow beach, (where it would unset) I would probably still use this one.

4lbs Fortress Aluminum Anchor. Holds very strongly, but tricky to set in weedy bottoms, does not hold as fast as Mantus. There is a cove in my area with a tricky bottom, and I stopped trying with this anchor, sometimes takes 3 or 4 tries to grab. Everywhere else I use this one because it's light and holds strong, but for this tricky bottom place, I just throw the 13 lbs Mantus instead.

Have not tried a box anchor myself.
the main reason I’m thinking about the box would be the amount of rope you can save it’s 2:1 vs 5:1

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
The main

the main reason I’m thinking about the box would be the amount of rope you can save it’s 2:1 vs 5:1
I have two Box Anchors by Slide and pair them with an Anchor Buddy. The anchor buddy bungie line is not designed to replace the line used on the box anchor; however, I've been using this set up for almost 15 years and have never had any issues.

With this set up, it literally is throw overboard and that's it.

I typically throw a Box off the Stern/Bow and the 242 is locked into place.

Dodi5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have two Box Anchors by Slide and pair them with an Anchor Buddy. The anchor buddy bungie line is not designed to replace the line used on the box anchor; however, I've been using this set up for almost 15 years and have never had any issues.

With this set up, it literally is throw overboard and that's it.

I typically throw a Box off the Stern/Bow and the 242 is locked into place.
What size do you use for a 24 foot and how do you store it

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
What size do you use for a 24 foot and how do you store it
I have a small and a medium box. They fold up flat and I store them in the bags they come with behind the seats on the swim step. I've repurposed the traditional anchor locker on the bow to hold fenders and lines.

Dodi5

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have a small and a medium box. They fold up flat and I store them in the bags they come with behind the seats on the swim step. I've repurposed the traditional anchor locker on the bow to hold fenders and lines.
Thanks