• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Buying used SX190 - what should I look out for?

PhilAment

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi All,

I'm new here and been combing the archives.
Looking to buy a 2019 SX190 with about 130 hours.. Anything in particular to look for or pay attention to?

Thanks,
Phil

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Aloha, I'm a 2017 SX 190 owner, bought it new, it's CA model.

The Trailer:

The Shoreland'r trailer was the biggest challenge in the beginning. Internal wiring was full of connections that rotted out causing shorts everywhere. I junked them, bought LED, strung the wires along the frame. All good. The 13" tires from Carlisle which are Bias developed side wall bubbles and I moved to another set of Bias different brand (Duro) and same thing. Switched to Radials and everything is good. I round trip to the water about 50 miles and I'm on the water almost every weekend.

The Boat Engine:

The SX is your entry level line but it's appointed well in strategic areas yet outfitted with some cheap/delicate things here and there. The engine is strong (should get you and a passenger up to 40-45 mph) and as a naturally aspirated unit, you wont have super-charger issues. If you are Salt then you should get real up close and personal with the engine down the sides and the back (use your camera and video) this is where the mess hides. Grab a set of sockets and go around the exhaust manifold bolts looking for loose or stripped. Verify how the engine was flushed? Straight water or A Salt Away product. Pull the dipstick and look-feel the oil. With the engine cover open push the throttle forward and verify the throttle body is wide open and the reverse gate bucket at the jet pump is fully raised up and out the way of the jet nozzle. Note: Throttle cable issues are a pain, make sure the throttle moves easily through the full range of movement. Same thing goes with the steering wheel - Lock to lock should be smooth.

The Drive Line: Just get under the boat and use the video camera and a flashlight to look up into the pump. If possible drop the intake grate for a better look see. Look for prop dings. If Salt expect to hear some clanging of the prop as it spins dry when starting, this is mostly normal. Eyeball the condition of the Zinc anode on the pump too. While running watch the gauges and note any Check Engine codes appear. Not a deal breaker if its the O2 sensor, super problematic on my boat. Stopped replacing them.

The Hull: Look for anything obvious.

Interior: This is where the cheaper components live. The switches on my dash are fragile, cleaning them has broken two because of the little whisper thin plastic tangs. The two gauges I have (they look like analog) are functional but really lacking. I'm not so much into the Connext stuff either but that's what is offered. Make sure the displays light up and work. Same thing for the Courtesy light. Make sure the horn, bilge and Navigation lights (the front light on the bow Red & Green) all work. Make sure the metal pole with the white light is stowed properly in the ski locker. Put it in the slot on the starboard gunnel and make sure it lights up. Check the radio, bring a USB stick and plug it in. The speakers may have rotted out (especially the two front). Set up the Bimini and make sure its in good condition.

Take it for a test drive.

Good Luck!

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Keep in mind 190's struggle with a boat full of people

PhilAment

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the detailed info @HawaiiBreeze . That gives me something to work with..

@lazergeek - It's just me and the wife 90% of the time, so the 19ft is more than adequate :)

obrien19

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the detailed info @HawaiiBreeze . That gives me something to work with..

@lazergeek - It's just me and the wife 90% of the time, so the 19ft is more than adequate :)
Keep in minde, in 2019, the SX190 was redesigned, which affected top speed. I've never been able to get mine faster than 37 with just myself in the boat. Other than that, boat has been great, reliable and pretty much headache free. Out of curiousity may I ask what the listed price is?

PhilAment

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks.. The one I was interested was listed at $24K but was sold before I could make a move.
There's a similar one locally for around $26K..

Cheers,
Phil