• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Winter 2022-2023 Maintenance, Repair, Improvements

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Okay fellow jet boaters.. the end of season is approaching, what do folks have in mind for winter time repairs, maintenance and improvements?

Here is my tentative list.

-Change anchor locker hatch opening direction
-bow roller with quick cleat to improve anchor deployment / retrieval
-Hard top install, with vhf radio, spreader lights, light bar
-Possibly get custom canvas made with clear panels for better protection during the shoulder seasons
-Sun shade / rain fly
-Pull pumps and check rear bearings
-Pull hubs and calipers on trailer to make sure everything is good

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Plan on getting the upholstery repaired on a few seat cushions. Other than that nothing that I can think of.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Okay fellow jet boaters.. the end of season is approaching, what do folks have in mind for winter time repairs, maintenance and improvements?

Here is my tentative list.

-Change anchor locker hatch opening direction
-bow roller with quick cleat to improve anchor deployment / retrieval
-Hard top install, with vhf radio, spreader lights, light bar
-Possibly get custom canvas made with clear panels for better protection during the shoulder seasons
-Sun shade / rain fly
-Pull pumps and check rear bearings
-Pull hubs and calipers on trailer to make sure everything is good
I'd be interested in pictures and the process you do to change anchor locker hatch direction.
You have a sun shade in mind already or a DIY?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I'd be interested in pictures and the process you do to change anchor locker hatch direction.
I will post pics from the anchor locker hatch project….

For the sun shade, I’m going to check out this sun shade made by Ocean South T-Top Bow Shade | Oceansouth It would be great if this would work as a rain fly as well for those over night trips.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here is what I did with mine last year. Used a piano hinge on the port side, added starboard blocks to the rear and starboard side for support and moved the stop cable. Left the stock hinges for aesthetics.

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here is what I did with mine last year. Used a piano hinge on the port side, added starboard blocks to the rear and starboard side for support and moved the stop cable. Left the stock hinges for aesthetics.
This looks about as easy and as eloquent as it gets! Did you use the same piano hinge that @Dixemon used? Do you have a link to the hinge you used?

Do you have any issues with the hatch trying to swing shut? Or is that over center position good enough to keep the hatch from trying to close ?

I love my boat…but I cannot understand why anyone would think having that hatch open straight back was a good idea.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Starting to work on my list as well. Thankfully, not too much to be done, just a some quality of life stuff, like trying to find quality slam latches to replace the ski locker and cleanout hatches, gas assist struts on the seats, etc.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Starting to work on my list as well. Thankfully, not too much to be done, just a some quality of life stuff, like trying to find quality slam latches to replace the ski locker and cleanout hatches, gas assist struts on the seats, etc.
You might try GemLux for your slam latches…

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This looks about as easy and as eloquent as it gets! Did you use the same piano hinge that @Dixemon used? Do you have a link to the hinge you used?

Do you have any issues with the hatch trying to swing shut? Or is that over center position good enough to keep the hatch from trying to close ?

I love my boat…but I cannot understand why anyone would think having that hatch open straight back was a good idea.
I believe I used a diffrent hinge. I used this one, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S85MT9G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 but you will want a thicker one as mine was to thin and I had to add washers on both sides of the hinge as spacers.

The stop cable is far enough over to prevent it from swinging closed on its own.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great Idea I was mostly concerned about the aesthetics as you stated. Unless you looking you wouldn't have been able to tell that you changed it.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Pulled the end part of the pumps last night to get at the cones. I pulled the cones at 43 hours in spring / early summer of 2021 when I first started messing around with high altitude impellers, put in some more EPNOC grease and reinstalled using the oem O rings as upon very close inspection they appeared good, the manual states to install new O rings. My boat now has 255 hrs on it, and probably 860 hours of immersion since pulling the cones.

Starboard;

E4D0342F-E3F9-4DD7-BDC6-6E593953317B.jpeg

Port;

22D5DFF5-3049-4DBB-945F-138691E130A5.jpeg

As you can see, there is a very small amount of moisture contamination in the starboard grease, and the port is fine. I’ll wipe it all out, going to get some pipe cleaners from hobby lobby or a smoke shop to clean the grease out from in between the ball bearings re pack, install new O rings and go forth! That little water droplet at 7 O’ Clock was in the sealing surface and not from inside. I probably should have put in new O rings when I initially pulled them…duh. So now I’ll make this an annual maintenance item.

Found this: https://www.eneos.co.jp/english/products/lubricants/pdf/grs-7037-2302e.pdf

Anchor locker hatch & bow roller, these items will show up in another post but since I listed it above I’ll post a pic here.

FB699AFA-3F63-4CDD-8537-C56EB1AF9E62.jpeg

After getting the hinge installed, I was standing there on the deck like I would if I was working the anchor, man!, what a huge difference in how roomy that feels instead of having to reach over that darn hatch when it flipped straight back! I put two 4” & one 7” pieces of 3/4” aluminum angle to support the hatch for sight casting. The bow roller is a Lewmar, can’t remember the manufacturer of the quick cleat.

@MrBubbaGump I used the stainless hinge that @Dixemon used. You’ll need a countersink bit to get clearance when the hinge is in the closed position between the screw heads. Be careful when you are attaching the hinge to the anchor locker hatch, it’s plenty thick but you’ll be close to the edge, so care is needed to keep from blowing out the edge. After yiur pilot holes are drilled, run each screw in ahead of actually mounting, run in till the screw gets tight, then back out a couple of turns, then back till it gets tight and so on until the screw is fully seated, then mount the hatch. It takes a bit to get the hinge laid out, just take your time and you’ll get it sorted. The same is true when mounting the support blocks, use a piece of decently thick stainless steel wire and make a T with the wire, with one end sharpened as a marking tool, slip the T in the gap between the boat and the hatch, turn it sideways and pull along the underside to mark the boat side, put in one screw in the middle of your support brackets to check for proper height, slot that hole as necessary to get the height correct, then mark the other holes using the support bracket as a guide. The other two to three screws will provide the load support, and the one you elongated will still supply support. Any questions please ask! Oh, and you gotta hold your mouth just right while doing this. Lol!

Ran this 1&1/2” x 1/4” aluminum bar from the bow eye bolts to the bottom of the aluminum block (old bow cleat mounting location) the roller mounts to for two reasons, to support the old bow cleat location and provide a place to mount a proper 8” cleat to do a secure rode tie off to, or a place to tie the bow off to at the dock.

448D5197-455D-42D3-BE71-DA5FFA98DB23.jpeg

DDB9248A-6EB0-4E17-8B40-CF5935994014.jpeg

1B453140-7433-49ED-BC96-83FA13568832.jpeg

I made filler plugs by using a 1&3/8” hole saw on a scrap piece of 2x6” wood and glue them in with 5200. These were mainly to provide support to the 3/8” bolts for the aluminum adapter block. I had envisioned just enlarging the arbor hole from the whole saw, but, Boats being what they are, and then placing the block where it fit best had the bolt locations where you see them. The aluminum block will get bedded with 4200. I still have to paint the block, and will post the finished project pics in another thread.

69117315-AAF9-4A5F-AB00-194821E2F4B8.jpeg

Next will be pulling the bearing buddies to check for water contamination of the wheel bearing grease, check bearing play, check the calipers for proper movement and tightness, and I’d like to get a mighty mini vac to bleed the brakes, and lube the grease points on the equalizers. that’ll get me rolling down the road in good shape.

Once the weather is consistently nicer, we will get after the hard top install, vhf radio, lighting, and possibly the rain fly from the hard top over the bow. Going to have to have the Yamaha mooring cover modified for the bow roller as well.

This was the first test fit of the hard top…

A8A068FC-DE4B-4132-B5D7-F05EFCEA0CC0.png

Last edited:

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The boat is looking awesome, that bow roller is coming along real nice too! Can't wait to hear how it works in action. What type of anchor are you going to use with it?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The boat is looking awesome, that bow roller is coming along real nice too! Can't wait to hear how it works in action. What type of anchor are you going to use with it?
Thanks Mr.bubbagump!

I have a slip shank style of danforth / fluke that weighs 9#. I like this style as the slip shank allows the attachment point to slip to the rear of the anchor if you maneuver above / up wind of it which allows it to pull free. Most of the lakes in this area have mud / sand bottoms so that style lends itself to that bottom.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Was out in the shop a little bit ago and took another look at the cones and the bearings… looks like a fair bit moisture evaporated over night.

Starboard side.. this had the most.

D6ED0C81-5A4C-49AC-996C-1A210E487D8D.jpeg

Port side looks the same.
DD07CC62-A311-4977-B2D7-15D27BAB6C99.jpeg

Starboard side cone, looks a lot different.

B52CD3B6-9AFB-4FC6-8385-D6ABB4628718.jpeg

Port side
A7243C91-27DD-4168-AFD2-E3A457191812.jpeg

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
All your mods look awesome, well done. From my experience pulling my pumps last year and re-lubing. I would suggest looking at the fwd shaft seal, it has a tendency to friction burn the lip of the seal due to no lubrication. I ran a blunt scribe around the shaft with some grease to aid in lubrication. Also, I applied a small amount of rtv to the cone when installing, but I think the majority of the moisture comes from shaft seal leaks on the impeller side.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I always run a tap and die into the threads and over the bolts to remove the old thread sealer.
CF095BC6-4046-4F25-BD56-10209D0AB535.jpeg

All back together..the lighting put a lot of yellow in the pic, although I did discover a bath tub ring when I was doing this project. I’ll probably give the hull an acid wash in the near future. I also disassembled the forcing and articulating parts lubed the bushings.

C68679DB-71B0-4AD4-B53F-24B3D102D43B.jpeg

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I always run a tap and die into the threads and over the bolts to remove the old thread sealer.
View attachment 197569

All back together..the lighting put a lot of yellow in the pic, although I did discover a bath tub ring when I was doing this project. I’ll probably give the hull an acid wash in the near future. I also disassembled the forcing and articulating parts lubed the bushings.

View attachment 197568
Did you end up changing to gear oil or leave as grease?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Did you end up changing to gear oil or leave as grease?
I stayed with the epnoc grease for a few reasons.

I researched the epnoc grease, posted this link above. https://www.eneos.co.jp/english/products/lubricants/pdf/grs-7037-2302e.pdf

This grease is very well suited for this application, the way it flows and how it handles water. It is a very low viscosity grease and will flow easily, this was evident by how it behaved when filling the cones, I would add some and then stir it with a straight seal pick, then add some more to make sure there was no air bubbles in the grease, it immediately liquified and then clung to the seal pick, impressive. This grease holds water in suspension and will still provide lubricity when moisture is present. Gear oil will emulsify the water and lubricity will suffer.

When you look at the tube that is the bearing holder, the grease will lay in the tube. In a way it’s like a wheel bearing set up. So the cone allows you to keep grease at a proper level in the tube all the way up to the front bearing.

Seals. While the manual refers to these seals as oil seals, their primary mission is to keep water out. You’ll notice that the cavities of the seals are facing the water, the cavities face the direction to the element / stuff you want to keep from passing the seal, in this case they are facing the water, which is under some impressive pressure, that pressure goes into the cavities and presses down on the lip of the seal towards the shaft, all seals of this type function this way. In my opinion those seals are not designed to keep gear oil in which is at a lower viscosity than the grease. I’ve seen a few reports of people using gear oil that are either missing gear oil or have water intrusion in the oil at the maintenance check. The greasing directive in the manual for new seal installation assures successful installation without cutting or tearing the seals.

70284809024__371E9946-F4B3-435E-A90B-00719F915AEF.jpeg

I would also say that if Yamaha wanted gear oil in that area they would have designed it that way. I know folks have used the gear oil/ gear oil and grease mix with success and that’s great, to me after looking into it, it appears it’s solving a problem that doesn’t exist as long as you follow the maintenance schedule. Look at that guy recently who had 400 hours on his pumps and had never serviced them and said there was no grease in there when he pulled the cones, I believe he just packed the cone with grease and went boating. I screwed the pooch and was a year and 100 hours overdue and I had a very slight amount of moisture in the starboard side and none in the port side. I let them sit open for a few days then repacked the cones and re assembled with new O rings 🙄 this time.

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had a nice weather day yesterday so I pulled the boat out of the shop and onto the apron in front of the shop.

-Washed off the engines and rinsed out the bilge.
-Put plug in and filled bilge with water to test both bilge pumps. Aft bilge output improved with reroute of its discharge line.
-Started and ran both engines on the hose, Port started and ran on first attempt, Starboard started and died first attempt started instantly on second attempt and ran. Not too shabby after sitting for 6 looooong months.
-Washed the deck to get rid of the dirt I tracked in over the winter.
-Put boat back in the shop and opened every compartment to let dry. I figure next week it’ll come back out and have the T top put on and splash it for the first day of 2023.
-Did various maintenance on boat and trailer.
-Hard top and rain fly / sun shade coming later.

How did everyone else make out?