• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

AR250 Sound Deadening

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 2022 AR250, and now that it's broken in, I am really wanting to do something to reduce noise.

At idle the boat is fairly quiet, and all around, we like it a lot, but there's a lot of resonating sound below and at cruise, maybe partially due to mismatched RPMs on my part.

I have a box of Dynamat sitting in my garage and a lot of insulating foam.

Are there any less than obvious areas where I should consider putting the Dynamat? There are some open cavities (like under the helm where wires pass though) where I'm considering blocking with foam, but I don't want to block water drainage paths or insulate something I shouldn't insulate.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
I thought the newest models had the latest in sound deadening... Some of you never had a big 2 stroke strapped to the back of a 21' lead sled of a boat and it shows LoL. These boats are some of the quietest running models in this class. I hear a lot about sound deadening here. What have y'all been cruising on up until this boat, that these are loud to you.

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I had a 1998 SeaRay 180 and that 4.3 liter eng whispered across the lake. Maybe its just me but my 212 is the loudest when, the carpet/mats are out and the bimini is up and of course the quietest when mats are in and bimini is stored.

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I thought the newest models had the latest in sound deadening... Some of you never had a big 2 stroke strapped to the back of a 21' lead sled of a boat and it shows LoL. These boats are some of the quietest running models in this class. I hear a lot about sound deadening here. What have y'all been cruising on up until this boat, that these are loud to you.
My family has a 20 year old Toyota Epic 22 that, honestly, is probably the smoothest sounding boat I've ever been on. My uncle's 26' Formula with its single 8.1 Mercruiser is fairly quiet too. Other than that, most of my recent experience has been on outboard rental boats, which of course don't have the resonance happening with the motor being outside the hull.

It's not so much a problem or something wrong with the boat as that it's something I'd like to reduce/improve.

1BadTundra

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
These are different engines altogether. It's not a purring V8, and it's not 20 layers of hand laid glass over 3/4 marine grade plywood. There's less insulation in these boats, more blow molded fiberglass. That's always gonna lead to resonation and less insulating properties.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
For my 210 FSH I used 80mil Kilmat to covered as much as I could under the rear clean out area as I could and that area is a giant echo chamber. I heard covering the waterboxes helps alot too but I didnt go that far yet. I then covered the walls of the engine compartment that sounded hollow when I thumped on them then removed the minimal foam facing the passenger area behind the fuel tank and added there and reapplied the foam. just that minimal work helped quit a bit for mine.

Attachments

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
[QUOTE="lazergeek, post: 597904, member: 27888"
[/QUOTE]

I never would have thought to do the clean out panel. That's easy to access too.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
[QUOTE="lazergeek, post: 597904, member: 27888"
I never would have thought to do the clean out panel. That's easy to access too.
[/QUOTE]
I also added to the underside of the swim platform that accessable too as noise travels up in that area.

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So... My neighbor had some industrial stuff from his work that apparently worked well. And, of course, they don't make it anymore and I can't get it, so I'm now looking. HOWEVER, he did tell me that he pulled the gas tank hatch and insulated the bottom of the hatch itself and he was amazed at how much it took out the vibration and sound. So, I'm guessing that the reverb from the engines travels to that cavernous area and thats where some of the noise is coming from. I pulled mine and it looks like you could easily do killmat or anything up to about 2" thick before you start bumping into wiring for the fuel tank.

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@PJ73

The fuel tank hatch/floor and ski locker were the first things I did, and made a noticeable difference. I just used one layer of Dynamat and the vibrations in the floor went way down.

Attachments

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@PJ73

The fuel tank hatch/floor and ski locker were the first things I did, and made a noticeable difference. I just used one layer of Dynamat and the vibrations in the floor went way down.
Whats the mil on the dynamat, 50?

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I have a '22 255x and the first thing I found was that the cheap 1/8" foam tape was not sealing the engine hatch. I needed 5/8" others used 1/2"

BenjaminF

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
67 I believe.
Hello There. Did you happen to work on improving the sound of your AR?
Thinking about doing the same. Would love to hear back from you.