• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Cobra jet steering options

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've been researching the cobra jet steering products and think i'm going to pull the trigger. I've reviewed many threads and the cobra website and think I have the options mostly figured out but am looking for any feedback on which upgrades are worth the extra money. I have a 2019 SX210. with my boat I believe the primary options to be either the Super ultimate AK-19 or the Super magnum AK-19. From what I can tell the only difference is the ultimate has a spring to lift them out of the water at high speeds and the magnum's are always down (though both I believe to be adjustable as to how far down they are). I'm leaning towards the super magnum because I don't believe leaving them down has any performance drawbacks (though I could be wrong on that). Once I've narrowed in on the super magnum AK-19, I'm wondering if the additional cost to go to the deluxe version (+$120) is worth it along with adding fangs (+$45).

Anyone have any recommendations/advice on the following? is it worth the extra money to go deluxe and add fangs? the material I've read suggests the deluxe version has faster hole shots, smoother ride in chop and the fangs add more control in reverse but it would go good to get some advice from those have them installed.

Super magnum AK19 basic vs Super Magnum AK19Deluxe?
adding fangs vs no fangs?

I've had the boat for two seasons now....looking for improvements mostly for slow speed control when docking and decelerating from high speed. use the boat mostly for cruising and tubing on inland lakes and occasionally out on Lake Michigan.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You spent $40k on the boat, an extra $150 for the best steering is absolutely worth it.

SamAR195

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Call Jeff. He will answer all your questions.

WildCatFan54

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Totally agreed with calling Jeff for advice. My $.02 would be for sure YES on the "deluxe" to add the inner / upper fins. On the MY 19 and newer because of the pump design changes , I would say NO on the fangs ? I had them on and took them off. Maybe just me but they seem to almost block some of the lateral thrust that was the reason for pump design change.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Totally agreed with calling Jeff for advice. My $.02 would be for sure YES on the "deluxe" to add the inner / upper fins. On the MY 19 and newer because of the pump design changes , I would say NO on the fangs ? I had them on and took them off. Maybe just me but they seem to almost block some of the lateral thrust that was the reason for pump design change.
good feedback....the fangs are only $45 so maybe i'll order them and can always remove them. sounds like the deluxe options is worth the money.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I've been researching the cobra jet steering products and think i'm going to pull the trigger. I've reviewed many threads and the cobra website and think I have the options mostly figured out but am looking for any feedback on which upgrades are worth the extra money. I have a 2019 SX210. with my boat I believe the primary options to be either the Super ultimate AK-19 or the Super magnum AK-19. From what I can tell the only difference is the ultimate has a spring to lift them out of the water at high speeds and the magnum's are always down (though both I believe to be adjustable as to how far down they are). I'm leaning towards the super magnum because I don't believe leaving them down has any performance drawbacks (though I could be wrong on that). Once I've narrowed in on the super magnum AK-19, I'm wondering if the additional cost to go to the deluxe version (+$120) is worth it along with adding fangs (+$45).

Anyone have any recommendations/advice on the following? is it worth the extra money to go deluxe and add fangs? the material I've read suggests the deluxe version has faster hole shots, smoother ride in chop and the fangs add more control in reverse but it would go good to get some advice from those have them installed.

Super magnum AK19 basic vs Super Magnum AK19Deluxe?
adding fangs vs no fangs?

I've had the boat for two seasons now....looking for improvements mostly for slow speed control when docking and decelerating from high speed. use the boat mostly for cruising and tubing on inland lakes and occasionally out on Lake Michigan.
Well my best seller for that boat is the super magnum ak-19 deluxe system . First special feature is the extra PATENTED tie rod for balance and redundancy, next this system has the outside super fins, only the portion of the outer fins that is below the bottom of the nozzle is interacting with the water at plaining speed and the settings allow you to decide the amount of high speed assistance your system provides and you can change that if your needs change.
The top part of the outer fins interacts with the water to increase your steering control when the boat is off plane.
So you automatically get more influence where you need it the most, this helps with docking and navigating through boat wakes , wind and current. Also you should note that the fins are forming a V configuration with the rudder and staying above that so as not to increase the draft of the boat. Next is the deluxe version this adds the plaining surfaces on the nozzles for a faster hole shot and a smoother ride in chop it also helps to clean the wake for water sport activities and then there are the extra top fins, these are designed to add even more influence to the system in slow non plaining speeds and automatically be up out of the water when the boat is on plane.
Now understand that this system is very comfortable for the person at the helm at both slow speeds and at high speeds . It makes the boat handle at speed with faster turns less speed bleed off and stay in control when rapidly decelerating . The big difference between the super ultimate and the super magnum is the springs. I do not believe you really need them but I offer them if you have your heart set on spring loaded fins on a twin engine AK boat.
So if you want the only aftermarket steering system with all those features and benefits , I have them in stock, I will also advise you that I do not remove the stainless steel standoffs from the reverse hoods , I use the original factory parts to avoid any issues with the electric reverse gate controls. My parts are tempered aircraft aluminum not plastic and they are laser cut by a computer.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well my best seller for that boat is the super magnum ak-19 deluxe system . First special feature is the extra PATENTED tie rod for balance and redundancy, next this system has the outside super fins, only the portion of the outer fins that is below the bottom of the nozzle is interacting with the water at plaining speed and the settings allow you to decide the amount of high speed assistance your system provides and you can change that if your needs change.
The top part of the outer fins interacts with the water to increase your steering control when the boat is off plane.
So you automatically get more influence where you need it the most, this helps with docking and navigating through boat wakes , wind and current. Also you should note that the fins are forming a V configuration with the rudder and staying above that so as not to increase the draft of the boat. Next is the deluxe version this adds the plaining surfaces on the nozzles for a faster hole shot and a smoother ride in chop it also helps to clean the wake for water sport activities and then there are the extra top fins, these are designed to add even more influence to the system in slow non plaining speeds and automatically be up out of the water when the boat is on plane.
Now understand that this system is very comfortable for the person at the helm at both slow speeds and at high speeds . It makes the boat handle at speed with faster turns less speed bleed off and stay in control when rapidly decelerating . The big difference between the super ultimate and the super magnum is the springs. I do not believe you really need them but I offer them if you have your heart set on spring loaded fins on a twin engine AK boat.
So if you want the only aftermarket steering system with all those features and benefits , I have them in stock, I will also advise you that I do not remove the stainless steel standoffs from the reverse hoods , I use the original factory parts to avoid any issues with the electric reverse gate controls. My parts are tempered aircraft aluminum not plastic and they are laser cut by a computer.
thanks for the info, that confirmed what I was thinking .....do you recommend adding the fangs to the super magnum ak19 deluxe package?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The new ones are angled down more than the early ones but you may want to try it without first and then try them later on if you choose.

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The new ones are angled down more than the early ones but you may want to try it without first and then try them later on if you choose.
I think i'll try without the fangs and go from there....I placed the order on your website this afternoon. Can't wait to get it installed and try it out when the weather warms up here.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi Jeff -
Can you provide some info about the difference between the "SUPER Magnum AK" and "SUPER Magnum AK DELUXE" packages? Additionally, what's the difference between the "AK FANGS" and the "AK MEGA FANGS PLUS"?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hi Jeff -
Can you provide some info about the difference between the "SUPER Magnum AK" and "SUPER Magnum AK DELUXE" packages? Additionally, what's the difference between the "AK FANGS" and the "AK MEGA FANGS PLUS"?
The deluxe package has the inner top fins that add extra input when the boat is in no wake mode and then is up out of the water on plane. The deluxe package also adds plaining surfaces for faster hole shot and a smoother ride in chop as well as a cleaner wake for watersport activities.
AK fangs are compatible with super magnum versions of the ak-19 steering however the mega fang plus is not ,it is only compatible with 2018 or earlier versions because in 2019 Yamaha changed the bottom of the nozzles . also a lot of info and pictures are located here https://jetboaters.net/threads/basic-information-about-the-various-options-from-cobra-jet-steering-llc.16857/

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
jcb1977, you will love that system. I just installed the same thing on my 2016 AR240. I ran three solid days without the Cobra Steering just to see what it was like. Very sluggish, took a few seconds after you turn the wheel before the boat reacted. Of course coming from a prop boat it was all different to me and I'm sure you get better at figuring it out. But the Cobra Steering took the jet boat as close to the prop boat as I could imagine. Much better in backing and no wake speeds, but turn the wheel at full throttle and just dig in and carve a turn. It's pretty cool

Gooch

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@rad1026. I have a AR250 with the Cobra Jet steering and am experiencing difficulties turning to the right while moving at a good speed. Have you had any issues like that?

jcb1977

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
jcb1977, you will love that system. I just installed the same thing on my 2016 AR240. I ran three solid days without the Cobra Steering just to see what it was like. Very sluggish, took a few seconds after you turn the wheel before the boat reacted. Of course coming from a prop boat it was all different to me and I'm sure you get better at figuring it out. But the Cobra Steering took the jet boat as close to the prop boat as I could imagine. Much better in backing and no wake speeds, but turn the wheel at full throttle and just dig in and carve a turn. It's pretty cool
I installed them a couple of weeks ago....installation was straightforward and went smoothly. Just need the weather to warm up a little and try them out on the water.

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@rad1026. I have a AR250 with the Cobra Jet steering and am experiencing difficulties turning to the right while moving at a good speed. Have you had any issues like that?
I can't say I am experiencing difficulty turning. You have to remember, the keel down the center of the boat will want to keep it going straight, so turns at higher speeds are a little more work. If you are seeing it more to one side than the other I would do some measurements from the leading and trailing edges of the lower fins to the edge of the main rudder. Everything should be centered and even, with a slight toe out from leading edge to trailing edge of the fins. I am kind of having the reverse issue, the boat wants to turn to the right and I keep having to pull it back to the left. Same thing, I have to go back to my adjustments and measure everything. One other thing I think has a much more dramatic effect on these boats is the wind. My old Chapparal was pretty low to the water so the wind didn't have much effect on it. These boats are so high and the side gunwales are so straight I really think the wind pushes it much more. I don't know that for sure because I have only had the boat out a handfull of times but it sure seams that way. How far down do you have your lower fins adjusted? I have mind down in the water as far as they will go. Thinking of moving them up one or two holes to see if that helps.

Hopefully we both aligned our jet nozzles and rudder correctly before we installed the Cobra system.

Gooch

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have mine lowered as far as they go as Im more concerned with control over top speed. I re-checked the alignment and my set up is spot on. I’m going to take the fins off this afternoon and see if I still have the difficulty turning. That at least will narrow down wether or not it’s the fins.

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
yep, I agree. That would be my next step also. I ran with the boat a couple days before I put the fins on to see how it tracked and it was really straight so I know I had everything aligned before the install. Problem is everything lines up great from edge to edge and toe in when I measure it now, so I'm not sure what is going on. I will figure it out though. Let me know how that goes for you.

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I found this to be true as well. I miss the lighter feel on the wheel at speed, but I really like having lateral thrust for slow speed maneuvering at the dock and near other boats. I was already used to using this before installing the Cobra and found the fangs blocked it some. (maybe installer error) Anyway, I have it dialed in now for my preferences w/o the fangs but wouldn't consider operating a jet boat without the Cobras.

Yambers

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Check rpms of each motor as well. Mine was pulling left and harder to turn right, then I realized rpms werent synced perfectly.