• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Help Please!!! Brand new '23 165 first time out and can't go over 8mph/4krpm!

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
New boat owner here. Picked up a '23 Scarab 165 300hp on 6/17/23.

I was busy picking up all the required safety equipment and completed a boaters safety course first.

Put the boat in the water for the first time yesterday in Sarasota Bay. Immediate problems. Could not accelerate past 8mph or 4K rpm as the engine rpm would rev up to 7k and the boat would slow down/lose power. Intake grate was clean upon entry and also verified clean when we took it out of the water after 2 hours. We tried everything on the water including reversing and power blips to potentially clean any blockage. Same issue. Ran great up to 8mph and the rpms just surge to 7k range and I had to back off the throttle. No check engine or other lights on the dashboard. Full tank of gas with 93 octane. Only issue I could see was the coolant level was a bit under the "minimum cold level" but coolant still in the overflow tank.

Called the dealer while out on the boat, service techs had no idea what was going on or why boat was doing this. It sounds like the propeller was loosing water pressure taking air in kind of like "Cavitation." But why at such low rpm with nothing obviously blocking the intake grate or propeller?

I'm so disappointed on my first boating experience and wondering what to do next? The dealer where I purchased is 2 hours from me (4 hour round trip). Don't really want to spend 4 hours to drop it off there. There is another local Scarab dealer about 1 hour away and I'd prefer to take there but not sure if they would work on it since I didn't buy the boat there?

Another important but less severe issue. The engine hatch latch/bolt came undone several times on the 2 hour ride home from the dealer. Found the bolt was loose and that the opening that the bolt goes through is larger than the bolt which means the bolt can wiggle around and be tightened down at different angles. I centered and retightened the bolt but looks like that was only a short term fix because the bolt eventually came loose again out on the water hitting waves. Not sure how to remedy that issue?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
So yeah, this will require a dealer regardless if you want the warranty. That's the downside of being located farther away from them. Hard to tell what happened... but although rare, we've seen sometimes the drive shaft splines rip out.... I'm wondering if that's what happened. But you'll definitely need to bite the bullet here and bring it to the dealer. Which one.... yeah, it's unlikely the other dealer will want to help you. Even if they do, only if they have a slot in. Good luck on that one.

The latch problem is a common one sadly. I recommend both lock washers and loctite. Get it very snug (but don't break the fibreglass in the process). The height of that stud has to be correct as well so it grabs on correctly.

Furthermore, here's something about the orientation of the stud but also backup ideas IF you want to go down that route. But it should latch if it's correctly setup: https://jetboaters.net/threads/rear-hatch-concern.30268/post-491871

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
So yeah, this will require a dealer regardless if you want the warranty. That's the downside of being located farther away from them. Hard to tell what happened... but although rare, we've seen sometimes the drive shaft splines rip out.... I'm wondering if that's what happened. But you'll definitely need to bite the bullet here and bring it to the dealer. Which one.... yeah, it's unlikely the other dealer will want to help you. Even if they do, only if they have a slot in. Good luck on that one.

The latch problem is a common one sadly. I recommend both lock washers and loctite. Get it very snug (but don't break the fibreglass in the process). The height of that stud has to be correct as well so it grabs on correctly.

Furthermore, here's something about the orientation of the stud but also backup ideas IF you want to go down that route. But it should latch if it's correctly setup: https://jetboaters.net/threads/rear-hatch-concern.30268/post-491871
Thanks Luc! Figures you'd be the first to reply. I sent the dealer my list of issues and pictures (scarab letters on side of boat were peeling off after 1st time in water uGH!!!!) while asking for next steps and path forward. I'm waiting for a reply..

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Hopefully your dealer is good and will step up at least. It definitely sucks to have to drive far to deal with this. You could investigate the problem yourself, but I wouldn't considering it's completely new.

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Well bad news. I trailered the boat to my closest dealer (just over an hour drive each way) on Saturday morning. They said they found 2 issues.

1) The pressure pump seal/gasket was folded over and most likely installed wrong at the factory.
2) The steering cable/assembly was defective and needs to be replaced.
3) Coolant was below "minimum" cold level. Minor issue per tech
4) Atomic graphics were peeling off starboard side after initial launch in water. Minor issue per tech and was told it happens often. Ordering replacement
5) SCARAB trailer lettering coming off on starboard side of trailer. Minor issue per tech ordering replacement.
6) Gatorhyde trailer coating was compromised and scuffed severely after the spar tire holder was removed from the trailer. Per Scarab dealer can order touch-up paint to remedy issue.

They are checking availability and ordering parts on Tuesday (7/11) since they are closed Sunday and Monday (7/9 & 7/10) and my boat will have to stay outside uncovered until the parts come in. Tech said they will have to do "wet" test in a nearby lake to make sure the repairs fix the initial issue.

I'm so completely frustrated and bummed out. Only had the boat out once in 3 weeks of ownership and only 1 hour on the clock. At this point I'm wondering if I have any recourse to either get my money back from the dealer and/or additional discount from either the dealer or Scarab directly? Anyone else have an experience similar to me?

Last edited:

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Well sadly, my misery continues. They replaced the pump seal and rusted steering cable. Also replaced the engine hatch bolt.

Trailered boat to nearby Lake Tarpon to meet Captain who was going to give me operation overview. Boat in water. 8mph severe cavitation and loss of pressure. They didn't fix the issue! I'm besides myself and have no words for how I feel right now. Trailered boat back to repair shop. They looked at it for 15 mins and said it isn't going to get fixed today, it's a bigger issue in driveline! I called the original dealer and spoke to the Sales Manager that sold me the boat and demanded refund. He understood and agreed that this is terrible situation that shouldn't be happening but refused to offer me a refund. Only contact I have is Mike Stefani at Scarab and he is not returning my phone calls/messages. Need some help from someone at this point.. So frustrated and dejected

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
New boat, doesn't work? No path for immediate resolution? I would have my attorney reach out and speak with dealer as well as scarab. And start legal paperwork.

Horrible what you are going through on a brand new boat

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Ugh. This still feels like a drive shaft issue as I mentioned initially. This sucks a lot for sure. No words to help here... You've been very unlucky.

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Thx and I agree Luc. It was driveline issue all along. Boat back at the dealer and they couldn't tell me exactly what the problem is. Talking about ordering carbon seal kit. I don't want guesses at this point, I want a fix. Currently, looking for an attorney that specializes in boat litigation in Florida

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Biggest issue people have is backing in shallow water when launching their jet boat . it sounds like you have a small stick or other item in the impeller not blocking the intake grate but actually in the impeller been there done that so you need to get under the boat and carefully look for anything in the impeller no matter how small it is it will do this and if you do not see anything have the shop pull the pump and look with it off the boat

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I agree this is can be caused by the smallest debris caught in the pump on the wrong place. If you see nothing from outside with a strong light,. I would pull the pump and check clearance and any debris.

I know you are already beyond disappointed with the dealers behavior (and why I am not a fan of new boats. Used all the way) but if you had any goodwill left with them, I would ask them to pull pump and impeller and do a thorough visual inspection with you there.

there's probably something on that pump that is visible (stick or piece of wood wedged in there) that may be causing this. I've had jet boats over 20 years, most notable finds are large rocks and a 330ml coke bottle.

Best of luck.

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Beach and Cobra Jet;

The boat is at the dealer which is over an hour away. They wouldn't let me go back there this past Friday when we put it in the water for the 2nd time so I doubt they will disassemble pump in front of me. I feel completely helpless at this point and I can't get anyone at Scarab to explain what I'm going through..

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well what they tell you and the truth are often on 2 different planets , I would say you had a small stick or some other object in the impeller when you back off a trailer try not to use a lot of power in reverse so you don't throw up trach from the ground into the intake grate as i9t is a big suction intake Also learn my reverse move to remove weeds from the pump and intake grate .
When I talked to dealers about selling my EZ locks years ago some did some did not and some told me they don't sell them because they make money fixing the boats and rear hatches when the plugs blew out so why stop it. do a search on reverse move for future reference.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So sorry, The challenge with warranty language is that it's mostly meaningless in terms of time to repair. There is no service level agreement or promise of fast execution. I suspect a thorough Google review filled with facts might at least warn others and at least give you some leverage that they might ask you to adjust in exchange for faster/better service. Unsure if this is a good course of action or might create more bad blood, it's not hard to imagine how it gets much worse. Best of luck.

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Picked up the boat yesterday. Couldn't get it in the water as there were pop up storms all over so I can't verify that they fixed the major "cavitation" issue.

Today I'm going over the boat and notice that they repaired the engine bolt hatch even though I told them it's a known issue and I have a work around. I'm horrified looking at the rerairs! It looks like they tried to over tighten the bolt and cracked the body, then used some type of jb weld product to patch the repair. The repair log states " Engine Hatch would not stay closed. The lock and stud are not aligned. I had to fab a shim to better align the lock and it works fine now."

Somebody tell me I'm wrong and this fix is OK please? Also tons more scratches and mars on the atomic mats. Techs also took the boat out for at least an hour since it now shows 2 hours on the clock and they paired their phone (Brett's iPhone) to my JL Audio system. Am I being oversensitive on a brand new boat that I haven't even got to enjoy as of yet?

Also realized that stickers on my port side of boat don't match the starboard side of boat. Am I going crazy here?

Attachments

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Bluetooth, I think that's over doing it... lol.

The hatch bolt... yeah, I mean... that sucks. I'd negotiate a discount personally. You'd think they'd explain what they're about to do... if it's actually super solid, then great! With a discount... but if that's not the case, then I'd be calling them back. I can't tell.

Odd for the stickers... get them to get a new one (or set).

But once again, this is all up to you if you're willing to accept this. What's reasonable and what isn't. I've seen very few people out the door with a brand new Scarab with all of these issues.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
At the same time you have a decision to make. Are you a hands on guy that likes things done correctly when you pay for them? Perhaps a used boat that was well tested and inspected was a better fit, but at this point are you willing to go through the time and effort required to get your money back? (Which I suspect would be a herculean effort taking lots of time and enjoyment away)

Or, do you accept their warranty service is staffed by people that can adhere only to the quality, professionalism and standard of work you have seen so far, and proceed to make the boat whole out of your own pocket and start enjoying the boat?

Not sure what is the right answer for you, but I'm sad to share we do get many tales of terrible service for warranty, where the folks working on your boat do not love it and care for it the way you would.

Best of luck.

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Update:

They finally fixed the propulsion issue. Scarab warranty department was spot on. There was sealant missing from the bottom of the transom plate, allowing air in which caused the cavitation. Also worked out the cosmetic issues with the dealer. First outing this past Tuesday was great. Finally, I could get the boat up to about 45 mph with some light chop in the water. Just passed 4 hours so believe it's still in "break-in" mode.

Thanks to everyone for the all the help and advice! I am truly grateful..

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
That would do it. Glad you finally got it out.

drmorley

Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
Glad you finally got the gremlins worked out! Hopefully it's smooth sailing from here.