• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How Much Boater Education Have You Had?

How Much Boater Education Have You Had?

• Licensed Captain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Seems like a topic we have not covered so I figured why not.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
To go along with boater education, this just happened a couple days ago at a small local lake. Anything can happen out there. I am sure drowning was not on this guys list of things to do while putting his boat in the water. Sad.

Apparently they guys boat got away from him while unloading and he tried to swim out to get it. Probably didn't help the water was still rather chilly.

http://wdtn.com/2014/04/22/dive-team-called-to-possible-drowning-in-greene-co/

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That reminds me...I promised a buddy of mine I'd dig out my sextant for him. wherever it is, it's dusty! :p

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
- 7 Years of trial and error (personal boating experience)
- I've done the Boat Ed Courses
- U.S. Navy Experience for 14 years
- Advanced courses including Piloting and Charting
You left out the advanced degree in pole management!

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You left out the advanced degree in pole management!
*stripper* pole management...it is a bit wilder of a party without that keyword. :)

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Pole Management = Politically correct

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pole Management = Politically correct
yes, I like to think that all wimmin, regardless of gender, should be allowed to dance on a pole even if they don't strip.

that doesn't sound right, now does it?

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
yes, I like to think that all wimmin, regardless of gender, should be allowed to dance on a pole even if they don't strip.

that doesn't sound right, now does it?
Guess it depends on what part of the country you are standing in at the time you say it. In this part of the country it refers to pole shaped male part.

The Bandit said:
When you tell somebody somethin', it depends on what part of the country you're standin' in... as to just how dumb you are.
I travel a lot for work and live that quote regularly.

Wayloncle

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been through a couple classroom courses because it was mandatory to rent boats from the base I was at and have done several online courses.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Been on a boat since 5, driving boats since 12 so 28 years experience....

-klb-

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took a sailboat class in college. Been boating on and off since.

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been in small bass fishing boats since I was young. Mostly Ohio River boating. I will have to look into boat-ed courses and see if I am as smart as I think I am :confused:

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm 67, started boating at age 20. I took courses when in the Navy in 1965. I also did take an online course a few years ago. I require anyone who will drive my boat to pass the online course.

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Started boating about 4 years ago going out with the father in law. Saw how he did things and read up on stuff online. That's how I found the yjb site and why I then bought a yamaha. I guess I gave myself casses from research.

jdonalds

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Started boating about 4 years ago going out with the father in law. Saw how he did things and read up on stuff online. That's how I found the yjb site and why I then bought a yamaha. I guess I gave myself casses from research.
Just be careful that doesn't happen with other things. I mean if you go flying with someone are you going to end up buying a PLANE!

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Interesting numbers so far. I almost wish boat companies would give a discount, even $100, for taking a safety course before buying a boat. It seems wrong to turn someone loose in a boat with a minimal introduction to boating but it is a deeply rooted tradition.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We bought our first boat in the early spring (current boat) just four years ago. My wife and I enrolled in a boater safety course. The deal was, whoever scores the highest on the final test is the Captain, the other is the First Mate. Well, we both got 100% so we are co-captains. Why then do I have to do all the piloting, navigating, provisioning, cleaning, maintenance, winterizing, registering, modding & hauling equipment to and from the beach while she sits back, sipping wine telling me how fast I CAN'T go?

Seriously though, given my aviation back ground I am a big proponent of education in any endeavor you pursue, especially if it affects the safety of others. After all, isn't that why we're all here, to educate ourselves?

Papa

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Had the online cource several times to refresh and been around boats all my life. Never to old to learn or take a refersher.

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Been in small bass fishing boats since I was young. Mostly Ohio River boating. I will have to look into boat-ed courses and see if I am as smart as I think I am :confused:
This is a great way to look at it. Worst case you prove you already know everything.