• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How much water in the boat is normal?

Dutchess77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
We are noticing a lot of water coming out of the bilge pump and from the drain plug when we pull her out.

We have a Scarab 215 Impulse HO. Being new to jet boating, we just need to know if that's normal.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are noticing a lot of water coming out of the bilge pump and from the drain plug when we pull her out.

We have a Scarab 215 Impulse HO. Being new to jet boating, we just need to know if that's normal.
If you are just cruising around without getting water over the bow you should only have a drop come out at the ramp. If you are tubing, wakeboarding or swimming you'll likely get about a cup at most.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If you're saying a lot of water, no, that's not really normal. I'm not familiar with the Scarabs all that much but you can jack the front of your trailer up and start filling the bilge with water and see if you have any water leaking from your connectors in the rear, around your pumps and stuff.

*Don't fill up to your engines*

Dutchess77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
If you're saying a lot of water, no, that's not really normal. I'm not familiar with the Scarabs all that much but you can jack the front of your trailer up and start filling the bilge with water and see if you have any water leaking from your connectors in the rear, around your pumps and stuff.

*Don't fill up to your engines*
Ww will try this...

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im sorry to say, you have carbon seal issues. And since you have two engines, you have to figure out which one it is. Welcome to the huge issue Scarab is keeping hush hush. Good luck with your repairs. All the advice I can give you is keep grilling your dealer to repair before its too late, and join the class action thread.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/possible-lawsuit-against-scarab-glastron-rbh.14255/

Dutchess77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi,

Thinking we found our problem?

See pic attached, my iPhone video clip won't upload.
Water is coming out from the bottom of the underwater light.

How could you fix that?
The video shows a lot of water running out from there...hoping this is it!!
IMG_5920.JPG

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Awesome! Maybe it's NOT your Carbon Seal. You may have dodged a bullet.

If it was me, I would unscrew the light and see if I could pull it out just a little. Keep in mind it may have sealant already back there. I would use 4200 sealant OR some good silicone sealant and put a good amount around the hole the wire goes in, along with the holes your screws are in. If this light won't pull out enough, you might be able to seal around the entire base of the light. But I would prefer to get behind it.

FlyNavy76

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Im sorry to say, you have carbon seal issues. And since you have two engines, you have to figure out which one it is. Welcome to the huge issue Scarab is keeping hush hush. Good luck with your repairs. All the advice I can give you is keep grilling your dealer to repair before its too late, and join the class action thread.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/possible-lawsuit-against-scarab-glastron-rbh.14255/
Really? You can diagnose something like that with that small amount of information. I'm sorry about all of your problems...hope I never have the same... but, man...

Yan Masse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi,

How could you fix that?
View attachment 59311
If water goes out, water goes in!

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Really? You can diagnose something like that with that small amount of information. I'm sorry about all of your problems...hope I never have the same... but, man...
You can usually take what @ScarabMike says to the bank when it comes to Scarabs. He wasn't trying to be over the top. He's our most experienced member here with the Scarabs and he's usually right on the money. Glad it wasn't the Carbon Seal on this one.

@Dutchess77 have you been able to seal the light and test it yet?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hi,

How could you fix that?
View attachment 59311
I hope that you found the root cause, if that's all it is at least it's cheap and easy to fix but for what these things cost I would expect more from the manufacturer regarding build quality and dealers for post sales support/damage control. Might be worth a "by the way" call to your dealer.

Here is a link to another carbon seal thread that I found very informative.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/carbon-seal-function-and-explanation-for-pre-mature-failures.14454/

Good luck with the fix so you can get back/stay on the water with more peace of mind.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Im glad they found the problem. That LED light leaking is a new one on me. Thank God I was wrong, and you are good to go.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was the first Scarab owner in here, and I have seen many many people come and go with issues. This boat was showing the classic signs of carbon seal issues.

And yea..... when you see these things over, and over, you can usually diagnose a routine problem right off the bat. Welcome to the community! I love the green Scarabs, they looks sick on the water.

Dutchess77

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Hi, the fix is happening now! We will test it out tomorrow and let everyone know if that's it! Hoping that's it...

FTM3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
215 ID
Boat Length

Carbon seals replaced first ride out since stayed watching for water no signs of leak however after a couple of hours of riding when loaded on trailer drain plug drained about 3 gallons out what else to check