• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New boat owner of Yamaha SX 190 in New Port Richey FL.

AndrewNPR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking for suggestions / must haves on jet boat.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you don’t show us any pictures it didn’t happen! :D

Just kidding, congratulations on the new boat!:winkingthumbsup"

Jim

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Super ultimate Ak-19 deluxe steering system to upgrade your rudder at all speeds, The super fins change their influence level automatically based on the position of the hull in the water. Also get rid of the annoying bow wander and the speed bleed-off in turns. This system is spring loaded and adjustable so you choose the level of influence that suits your needs. You also get the plaining surface to smooth out the ride in chop and you get tempered aluminum fins that do not hang down below the rudder so no increase in draft or need for kickstands in shallow water. This steering system is specially designed to work with the 2019 and newer style nozzles that create an angled reverse thrust so no need for any other upgrade . You get all this and free domestic shipping along with a satisfaction money back guarantee for only $268.99
1693262200995.jpeg

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome abord… First time boater, or just new to jet boat life?

First aid kit, knife for cutting a rope, basic tool kit, salt away/salt off flush kit, anti-corrossion spray (Corrosion X, etc.). Lots of other suggestions on here on how to spend your $$$.

Jeff’s steering enhancement are a big help.

Welcome to “flats life”, I venture out to HB a few times a year.

AndrewNPR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you VitaminSea. Yes Jetboat is a new experience for me. Yes I agree lots of good information here. Thank you for your suggestions. I did just purchased Thrust Vectors can't wait to test them out.

AndrewNPR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What you use to navigate thru Golf waterways.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thank you VitaminSea. Yes Jetboat is a new experience for me. Yes I agree lots of good information here. Thank you for your suggestions. I did just purchased Thrust Vectors can't wait to test them out.
Be sure to save the small stainless steel collars that you remove from your reverse buckets, you really should have done your research before making any decision on steering, go to my cobra jet steering face book page and read what customers who have had both systems had to say. Good luck . Cobra jet steering

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What you use to navigate thru Golf waterways.
There are many options, paper charts & a compass heading (old school, but in all seriousness I like to understand an area before I rely on a GPS), boating/navigation apps, or a dedicated chart plotter. Many of the modern chart plotters offer turn by turn directions similar to a GPS in a car, whereas the older ones where more point to point (straight line).

If you are new to the gulf, in your area and further north (Hernando & Citrus), the water can get very skinny outside of the channels. Understand the tides as well, as what could be 4ft at high tide might only be 1ft or less at low tide.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

AndrewNPR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There are many options, paper charts & a compass heading (old school, but in all seriousness I like to understand an area before I rely on a GPS), boating/navigation apps, or a dedicated chart plotter. Many of the modern chart plotters offer turn by turn directions similar to a GPS in a car, whereas the older ones where more point to point (straight line).

If you are new to the gulf, in your area and further north (Hernando & Citrus), the water can get very skinny outside of the channels. Understand the tides as well, as what could be 4ft at high tide might only be 1ft or less at low tide.
I'm familiar with area south of Hernando. I have heard people running into rocks up there. I was just curious what type of navigation people use on jet boats.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Navigation is no different than with any other pleasure vessel. Charts, Markers, GPS Maps & Waypoints. Garmin for example has the ability to connect via your phone and display updated maps & crowd sourced data via their Active Captain App. Navionics allows you to view their charts/data for free via the following - Navionics ChartViewer, and in my opinion is a great tool to get familiar with an area. As for what you want to use on your boat, it comes down to preference - some use a tablet with an app, others get a dedicated chart plotter. Head to West Marine or Bass Pro and check out their displays to see what features you favor.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I have a Garmin Striker Vivid 7SV on my 195. Like @VitaminSea mentioned, I use the Garmin Active Captain on my phone to chart my course and cast it to the unit. You being in New Port Richie, I would suggest something with a good depth finder (like mine) since Anclote Key gets shallow, especially around the stilt houses.
IMG_1863.jpegIMG_1864.jpeg

AndrewNPR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you have to drill holes on the boat to mount the transducer or you used stearn pad as mounting point.

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I went with the stern pad, but still needed to drill the hole for the transducer cable.
IMG_3419.jpegIMG_3416.jpeg

HawaiiBreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Aside from all the cool accessory items, the only steadfast "must have's" which don't cost a thing are:
1. POW (Patience On the Water)
2. "Slow is Pro"
3. No substitution for experience.
4. Start it before trailering it.
5. The ramp is for launching not prepping.
6. Learn from every dumb thing you do.

Congratulations!

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
#5 is spot on!

AndrewNPR

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Aside from all the cool accessory items, the only steadfast "must have's" which don't cost a thing are:
1. POW (Patience On the Water)
2. "Slow is Pro"
3. No substitution for experience.
4. Start it before trailering it.
5. The ramp is for launching not prepping.
6. Learn from every dumb thing you do.

Congratulations!
Thank you. Those are very good tips.