• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New Thrusters and Laterals

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
A better handling boat in forward and reverse at no wake speeds.

MillsyMO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Just installed my new Lateral and Vector Thrusters on my 2018 AR240. Have not had a chance to test it yet. What should I expect?
I’m thinking about buying the lateral thrusters and thrust vectors for my AR250, but was wondering what your opinion is on them since it looks like you’ve had them for a year now. Thanks.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have both on my boat and the lateral thrusters were a game changer for me. The steering input when going in reverse is now the same as you would experience when driving a car - way more intuitive. I think the Thrust Vectors are just OK - they improve low speed handling but not as significant as I’d like.

Looks like I’ll be getting a newer boat soon and may try the Cobra Jet fins instead but they are more $$$.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like I’ll be getting a newer boat soon and may try the Cobra Jet fins instead but they are more $$$.
With the CJS the added benefit beyond the improved low speed handling, is the improved steering at all speeds. They definately are great when pulling tubers and such since they increase steering control substantially.

WiskyDan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
With the CJS the added benefit beyond the improved low speed handling, is the improved steering at all speeds. They definately are great when pulling tubers and such since they increase steering control substantially.
Do you have lateral thrusters as well or just the CJS?

It sounds like the lateral thruster / CJS combo is pretty effective.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

No. do not need the lateral thrusters with the CJS.

MillsyMO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
I hated the low speed maneuvering of my AR250 around docks until I learned how to use the throttle levers opposite of each other and now it’s so much better than my old boat with an outdrive.
Now my only complaint is when I’m traveling across the lake and other boat wakes come at us parallel with the boat it causes us to fish tail side to side as we travel over them. I’m assuming that’s bc we don’t have an outdrive down in the water to keep the aft of the boat from sliding sideways on the wakes. Do the lateral thrusters or the CJS help with that issue?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It will be an improvement with the CJS. Plus enhanced steering at all speeds. Even off throttle you can still turn the boat more than without. You will turn at speed quicker and sharper. You will feel it bite more when you turn. Also going over chop and in current I find I have quicker response times. I run mine on the third bolt position I believe. The back end of my boat is not as sloppy as it was before I put them on. @Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is the answer to your question
speaks for itself. also with my super magnum ak system you get the patented second tie rod for balance and redundancy. with 2 rods either side will operate the entire system if the other ever fails. good to have if you are out and away from the ramp. my system helps the boat get up on plane faster and you get super fins that automatically change their influence levels based on the position of the hull in the water and they do not hang down by the bottom of the rudder so no need for kickstands in shallow water, and they have extra top fins to lead the back of the boat when in shallow water for docking etc. This system is made to work in conjunction with the newer style reverse angled water shoots that YAMAHA has built into these nozzles starting in 2019. So you get the side push and reverse push without giving up a lot of your reverse power or stopping power. You also get to set the super fins to a level that suits you personally . the system will get rid of bow wander and speed bleed-off in turns as well as loss of steering when rapidly decelerating in a turn. And through my buy direct discount pricing you get the entire super magnum ak-19 deluxe system for only $489.99 with free domestic shipping so if you look at features benefits and materials then compare cost it should be obvious what to go with. 1692573017366.jpeg

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I have both on mine. It should work on yours. I had to drill a new hole to move the small fins up enough to clear the lateral thrusters.

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I have both on mine. It should work on yours. I had to drill a new hole to move the small fins up enough to clear the lateral thrusters.
The small fins are called mega fang plus and they are made to improve real reverse by concentrating the reverse thrust that exits the bottom of the original nozzle, they also direct that thrust better and provide better stopping power as well as backing power with a power steering effect added also. The lateral thrusters bleed off the existing reverse power and stopping power to provide some side thrust but twin engine boats can duplicate that easily by using the duel throttles and not loose out on the backing and stopping power provided by Yamaha in the original design. the power steering effect is created by the outer fangs going forward of the nozzle pivot point and at speed they help turn the nozzles I see Yamaha used the same principal; on the rudders of the 19 foot boats , look at the front of the rudder forward of the pivot point and you will see a forward leading fang.
1692625160817.png

MillsyMO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
The small fins are called mega fang plus and they are made to improve real reverse by concentrating the reverse thrust that exits the bottom of the original nozzle, they also direct that thrust better and provide better stopping power as well as backing power with a power steering effect added also. The lateral thrusters bleed off the existing reverse power and stopping power to provide some side thrust but twin engine boats can duplicate that easily by using the duel throttles and not loose out on the backing and stopping power provided by Yamaha in the original design. the power steering effect is created by the outer fangs going forward of the nozzle pivot point and at speed they help turn the nozzles I see Yamaha used the same principal; on the rudders of the 19 foot boats , look at the front of the rudder forward of the pivot point and you will see a forward leading fang.
Looking at my jets on my ‘22 AR250 and from what I’ve read online Yamaha changed the design and added their own version of a lateral thruster I think in ‘19. I’m guessing that’s why I don’t have any complaints on my maneuvering at the dock bc I use my jets opposite of each other to spin my boat around on a dime and can maneuver sideways up to a dock pretty well . My question is, looking at the photos of your CJS there is a plate that mounts on the inside of both jets and appears to block those factory lateral thrusters. I want the boat to track better at high speeds but I don’t want to give up the precision at the dock. Can you elaborate on why it won’t effect these thrusters or supply me a better photo of it not blocking those thrusters when installed? Thanks for your time.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yamaha has angled thrust on the bottom of the 2019 and newer nozzles on my 2019 and newer systems called AK-19 versions the fins have a cut out in the front and I instruct you to set the outside fins up 1 notch to allow for those thrusters to work very simple remember my fins are carefully positioned in relation to the hull and the rudder, Yamaha did not aim those nozzles horizontally and they did not make them opposing for good reason so my fins allow them clearance easily remember I have been doing this for 22 years It's what I do 1692627082042.jpeg
1692626790557.jpeg

MillsyMO

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Boat Length
Yamaha has angled thrust on the bottom of the 2019 and newer nozzles on my 2019 and newer systems called AK-19 versions the fins have a cut out in the front and I instruct you to set the outside fins up 1 notch to allow for those thrusters to work very simple remember my fins are carefully positioned in relation to the hull and the rudder, Yamaha did not aim those nozzles horizontally and they did not make them opposing for good reason so my fins allow them clearance easily remember I have been doing this for 22 years It's what I do View attachment 206923
View attachment 206922
Perfect photo, thank you for the explanation.