• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rockford Fosgate Vs JL Audio Setup

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been looking into upgrading the speaker system on my 2023 AR250 and have narrowed it down to two systems:

System 1: JL
JL Audio M3 6.5 to replace the current 6
2 JL Audio M6 10” Subs
JL Audio 600/1 Amp
JL Audio 600/6 Amp
Fusion RA670 Headunit

System 2: Rockford Fosgate
Rockford M1 6.5” to replace the current 6
Rockford M2 12” sub
PM500x1 Amp
PM400x4 Amp
Fusion RA670 Headunit

I want some opinions for those who have experience listening first hand to any of these setups or similar. System 1 is $3800 and System 2 is $2600. Is JL worth the extra $1200 or is Rockford the better deal for the money? It would be an easy decision if I could find somewhere to hear both in an open setting but that’s no possible.

Thanks in advance for the insight!

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
IMO you're kind of comparing apples to oranges here. The JL system has 700wrms at 4 ohms and the Rockford system has 350wrms at 4 ohms. You'll definitely be able to tell a difference in sound quality and volume.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Wet Sounds brand new "ZERO" speaker line may be worth a look as well.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The RF amps are class AB amps and I would not run a class AB amp in a Yamaha boat because of the charging limitations. I'm not sure what class amp the JL is, but if it's a class D then that's what you should go with.
I ran an an sll RF system in my Yamaha, with the exception of the tower speakers which were Wetdounds, including the speakers you listed and it sounded decent for the money I spent.
I ran the RF PM 400 in my new MasterCraft and it constantly ran hot and shutdown, I only used it because I didn't have to buy it. I changed that amp to a Wetsounds SYN amp and never had an issue since. Also remember if you are budgeting the stereo system, the wire and fusing can get pricy if you use quality stuff.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Check Creative Audio for prices, their pretty good and great to work with. I think I got a refurbished amp and never had a problem with it. I got all my Jl audio from them.

evosteve

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
I’d spend a few more dollars and go with the M2 Rockford 6.5’s
I have a JL MV1000/5 running 4 M2 6.5’s and 1 sealed M6 JL 10 and it rocks in my 195S

Love the JL MV amps since you can tune and set delays which really smoothed out and cleaned up the Mids/highs… imaging is insanely good on my boat…the M2’s play very loud and clean with the 1”tweeter Rockford uses.

I just got the boat in Sept…this spring/summer will add a second sealed 10” off same amp and add another JL amp with some Rockford Tower Speakers and maybe another pair of 6.5’s in the boat.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’d spend a few more dollars and go with the M2 Rockford 6.5’s
I have a JL MV1000/5 running 4 M2 6.5’s and 1 sealed M6 JL 10 and it rocks in my 195S

Love the JL MV amps since you can tune and set delays which really smoothed out and cleaned up the Mids/highs… imaging is insanely good on my boat…the M2’s play very loud and clean with the 1”tweeter Rockford uses.

I just got the boat in Sept…this spring/summer will add a second sealed 10” off same amp and add another JL amp with some Rockford Tower Speakers and maybe another pair of 6.5’s in the boat.
I looked at M2s also but those were the same price as the JL M3s. How much did you spend on your current setup?

evosteve

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
The RF M2’s will sound better than the JL M3’s. I got a deal on my JL gear so I’m at about $2500 for all of it and did the install myself.

evosteve

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
Also I had a couple RF amps that I sold to my brother for his boat and I can tell you the JL amps are definitely a better product.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Spending your money, I would buy the JL. Spending mine, I bought RF. Both are great products, and you could split the difference in cost and get some more power in your Rockford build with different amp setups or bridging.

Bottom line, both are great quality products. JL is definitely a little nicer, but you pay for it. It becomes a budget thing, if you've got the money for the JLs, you won't be disappointed. If you save some money and go RF with similar amp power, you probably wouldn't hear a difference in a boat anyways.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
System 1 is $3800 and System 2 is $2600. Is JL worth the extra $1200 or is Rockford the better deal for the money?
The systems are not equal in equipment so the prices are off, you have one RF sub not two, and only a 4-ch RF amp driving six speakers. If you add another sub (dual 10's) and 75w/ch amps for the RF system, you're closer to the price of the JL. As someone else mentioned, the RF amps are AB not D class so they are less efficient - at loud volumes it makes a big difference to power consumption. Class D is the way to go in any boat as users tend to float with the engines off relying on battery power.

As for sound quality, JL all the way in my opinion. RF are built for loudness, not smoothness. If you want loud, go RF but you'll need to step up the RF amps to get that extra loudness as the 400x4 amp you listed is underpowered at 50w/ch and only 4 channels. The JL system you listed will sound better and about the same volume with 75w/ch for 6 channels. The bass response will be cleaner and tighter with the JL subs too.

Don't forget the cutout sizes. The JL will drop right in to the 5.0" holes to replace the main speakers. While the RF 6.5 require a 5.34" hole and might need some Dremel tool work to get them to fit. The RF 6 speakers should be drop-in replacements.

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I would like to recommend the JL M6 Line all the way around. They definitely sound better than the M3's. If you look in my signature you will see I run a full JL set up. I don't regret it at all, crystal clear even hundreds of yards away when the volume gets low you can hear every word.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would like to recommend the JL M6 Line all the way around. They definitely sound better than the M3's. If you look in my signature you will see I run a full JL set up. I don't regret it at all, crystal clear even hundreds of yards away when the volume gets low you can hear every word.
How long do you go before your battery starts to get low and you have to start the motors to recharge?

MrBubbaGump

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There are a lot of variables like how loud you listen and I also use my battery to run an air pump for inflatables. however i turn off my start battery and will play music till the house battery dies usually 6-8 hours at about 75% volume. I installed a noco charger in the boat and just plug it in when I get home to recharge the battery to full.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you everyone for your input! Does anyone else have any other recommendations besides what I just listed? I'm sure if I went with JL, I would be super happy but that's a lot of chedda, and I want to make sure I didn't forget anything else out there.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you everyone for your input! Does anyone else have any other recommendations besides what I just listed? I'm sure if I went with JL, I would be super happy but that's a lot of chedda, and I want to make sure I didn't forget anything else out there.
I would recommend a complete Wetsounds install.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Kicker and JBL/Infinity are very nice as well.

IMO, set a budget, and compare the systems you can get for that money. Comparing stereos at totally different price points isnt really fair, the more expensive setup with more power and speakers and everything will always sound better.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You can save some chedda by changing your JL list to this:

System 1: JL
JL Audio M3 6.5 to replace the current 6
1 JL Audio M3 10” Sub
2 x JL Audio M400/4 Amps

Fusion RA670 Headunit

One good sub can produce decent bass output and one should be enough unless you're a bass-head. The M3 sub is very good and only needs 175w for good output, the M6 sub is made for massive output. The 4 channel amp can be bridged for the sub and then they can run the other 6 channels of speakers. This would save you hundreds of dollars over your original list.

If you need to keep a tighter budget, as mentioned Infinity are good speakers and will save you hundreds more over my list above. Or Kickers for about half the price of the JL list. Lots of choices out there...it just depends on how good you want the sound and how much you're willing to pay to get it.

NoFla21

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you @The Canuck for the recommendation on where to purchase the equipment! I ended up saving over $1300 from my initial price quote! Everything is in the mail and will arrive tomorrow. I ended up going with:

JL M3 6.5 Gunmetal X 6
JL M600/1 Amp
JL M600/6 Amp
JL M7 12" sub
Fusion RA770 Headunit
Fusion ERX400 for the rear deck

I can't wait to have this installed and hear how it sounds!

I am curious if I should add two more M3s next to the captain and co-captain chairs or just leave it as-is. Would it make that big of a difference or no?

Farny

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Centurion
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Great set up! Post a vid when done!