• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Rounded Spark Plugs HELP

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Looking for some assistance, plug #2 in my port engine has somehow rounded where my standard T-Bar plug remover won't catch. I ordered the Irwin Deep Socket Extractor Set and tried today (gingerly) and it would not get a good grip...

anyone have this issue or any remedies?

A thought would be to use a hammer to set the extractor socket and then turn... but I thought I'd come to the resident experts first.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So none of your sockets seem to be deep enough, or the entire plug is rounded? I had to use deep sockets to get mine out last year.

Good luck,

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First, is the whole hex portion of the spark plug rounded, or just a section on top? I have a hard time believing the whole hex portion would be rounded....that's a lot of metal... Second, are your sockets 12 point, or 6 point? I would strongly recommend using 6 point only on things like this. If just a portion of the hex is rounded, you might have success gently and carefully tapping a 6 point socket onto the plug.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would agree with that. If a person doesn't use a deep enough socket, there is a chance to have rounded off the top. But not the whole plug.

Get yourself a true deep socket and they should come out without issue.

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Until I joined this site- I’ve never seen so many people obsessed with changing spark plugs (and having trouble replacing them)...wtf..:D

Everyone needs to stop changing their plugs...Boat leaks- change spark plugs, boat overheats- change spark plugs, Surf wave too small- change spark plugs, trailer lights don’t work- change spark plugs..lol

Oh and there is no way that plug is “rounded” off...

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
First, is the whole hex portion of the spark plug rounded, or just a section on top? I have a hard time believing the whole hex portion would be rounded....that's a lot of metal... Second, are your sockets 12 point, or 6 point? I would strongly recommend using 6 point only on things like this. If just a portion of the hex is rounded, you might have success gently and carefully tapping a 6 point socket onto the plug.
Sorry these photos stink, it seems like one or two sections of the hex are rounded.

Attachments

Sidarousmg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Is it possible the socket is just too "thick" to fit down there properly? had this issue on one of my bikes, had to get a "thin wall" socket. regular socket of the same size made it feel like it was slipping, but reality is it was not going down deep enough...

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is it possible the socket is just too "thick" to fit down there properly? had this issue on one of my bikes, had to get a "thin wall" socket. regular socket of the same size made it feel like it was slipping, but reality is it was not going down deep enough...
The extension I have been using works on all the others and no problems to ‘get a grip’ only on this particular plug. This is what I have been using...

Neiko 02292A 3/8" Drive x 5/8" Magnetic Spark Plug Socket, 360 Degree Swivel | Long 11-Inch Length Extension | Cr-V Steel Amazon.com: Neiko 02292A 3/8" Drive x 5/8" Magnetic Spark Plug Socket, 360 Degree Swivel | Long 11-Inch Length Extension | Cr-V Steel: Automotive

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did the magnetic piece inside the socket get stuck to that plug? Preventing you from pushing the socket all the way down...

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Did the rubber piece from inside the spark plug socket get stuck on this plug? I’ve seen that happen and so you think you pushed all the way down on the plug, but your not because of the rubber piece..
This I have not checked, but I most definitely will. Thanks!

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, grab a plug you’ve already removed, and try inserting it into the socket. See if it’s getting a good “bite”, so to speak. I’m fairly positive you’re just not getting a good mate between the socket and plug.

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Heading down to the Marina now... ill troubleshoot with these suggestions and report. Thanks Gents.

Dan Nease

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This I have not checked, but I most definitely will. Thanks!
@Brad460 DING DING DING you are the winner. In the marina pole barn it was hard to see, but the culprit is the rubber washer/grommet. Now to find something to get it out. Forceps or a dental pick I’m guessing.

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Brad460 DING DING DING you are the winner. In the marina pole barn it was hard to see, but the culprit is the rubber washer/grommet. Now to find something to get it out. Forceps or a dental pick I’m guessing.
Nice find! Figured that was the issue- with the plug sockets that have the rubber insert they often stick to the plugs...

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Until I joined this site- I’ve never seen so many people obsessed with changing spark plugs (and having trouble replacing them)...wtf..:D

Everyone needs to stop changing their plugs...Boat leaks- change spark plugs, boat overheats- change spark plugs, Surf wave too small- change spark plugs, trailer lights don’t work- change spark plugs..lol

Oh and there is no way that plug is “rounded” off...
Folks follow the manual I guess. 100 hrs or 12 months whichever comes first. If you are going to pull and inspect you might as well just replace them. Also, back in the day a plug change would fix a wide range of symptoms in the MR1.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
...and still do.
I haven't tried fixing the rust on my trailer wheels with a spark plug change but I maybe next week I will.

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Folks follow the manual I guess. 100 hrs or 12 months whichever comes first. If you are going to pull and inspect you might as well just replace them. Also, back in the day a plug change would fix a wide range of symptoms in the MR1.
Understood and to change your plugs every 12 months is absolutely ridiculous! Spark plugs don’t “wear out” when they are not in use...even at 100 hours is a stretch. So if I didn’t use my boat for 3 years straight I would be replacing brand new plugs 3x..lol

Based on that, my boat has 18 hours in the last 12 month..no way in Hell I am changing out brand new plugs..

It does explain all the problems if people are foolish enough to change them every 12 months...increases the opportunity for cross threading..etc..

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Understood and to change your plugs every 12 months is absolutely ridiculous! Spark plugs don’t “wear out” when they are not in use...even at 100 hours is a stretch. So if I didn’t use my boat for 3 years straight I would be replacing brand new plugs 3x..lol

Based on that, my boat has 18 hours in the last 12 month..no way in Hell I am changing out brand new plugs..

It does explain all the problems if people are foolish enough to change them every 12 months...increases the opportunity for cross threading..etc..
Hmmm, get back to us in a few months. You might make it a few years, you might not.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Ahhh, but they do rust grasshopper. They have been a little problematic, at least in the MR-1s leading us to replace more often and use anti-seize.