• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX192 oil cooler leaking stop purchase?

Boat2024!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello everyone! First time boat owner maybe! Newbie hear just joined and have a concern about buying a 2015 sx192. Boat tested a couple days ago with wife and owner. Ran great and was super successful. Boat is beautiful and well taken care of. Owner upfront about anything that was done to make reliable and a few upgrades. Ok here is the issue. When looking it over before we took it out I did notice some oil below engine. Owner said when he changed it was possibly from replacing filter. I said ok. Read about oil cooler leaks. Now after thinking it over I don't know if I should proceed with purchase. Need your HELP! Thanks.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Was the oil wiped up when noticed? If so, was there oil there after the sea trial? If not, what were they thinking? If it keeps apearing after being wiped up, there is an issue. These early SC boats are prone to heat soak and benefit from a catch can install. FYI

Boat2024!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No he didn't wipe it up. I opened engine compartment during sea test and it had a little water mixed with oil. I guess what I am asking is it still a purchase that won't break the bank if needing repair. Other posts claim it can be fixed fairly easily and some boat owners just live with it. Even if it needs a new oil cooler I am not sure whether to continue purchase.

Boat2024!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Let me ask the question if it is not from the oil filter change could it just be tightening of bolts needed. The owner said he would check all the bolts to see if any are loose.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It could be. That is why I asked if it was wiped up. How long ago was the filter change? Any residual should have dripped. Then wiped once or twice, done. It will not continue to drip unless the filter seal is damaged. I have not heard of oil cooler issues with the 1800's, only MR-1's and I believe they were a loose bolt.

Others will chime in.

Boat2024!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Greatly appreciated. I called the owner and discussed this. He said it is very hard to get it all wiped out under the engine and some residue will be left there. He understands that I want to know the cause and either way I am still interested in the boat. Does not want to sell it as a possible problem. He will figure it out. Not right he says.
Anyway, just want to thank you for your help Zipper. Helps with the heebie jeebies! Money doesn't grow on trees I think.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Leaking oil coolers happened most often in the 2010 models. I had both of mine leak in 2012 and replaced in 2013, cost at the dealer at the time were $650 in parts and another $600 in labor per cooler.

I lived with it for a few months but that meant I couldn’t turn the bilge pump on while in the water or I would be pumping oil contaminated water into the river/lake I was boating in. If I got caught doing that and i would have been up for a massive fine.

sounds like the seller was being honest and the oil you saw came from a sloppy oil change but if you still are not sure bring a paper towel with you the next time you see it and run that towel along the seams of the oil cooler and it’s face. In my bad coolers one was leaking from the bolts hold the sides together (one of the bolts had a head break off of it), the other was leaking from the seam (the parts warped and caused the seam to separate. If you see any oil on the rag afterwards look further/closer (e.g. dry the coolers off, run the engines for a minute or two and check for leaks again) and consider the above in deciding if you want to move forward with the purchase.

Last edited:

Boat2024!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Leaking oil coolers happen most often in the 2010 models. I had both of mine leak in 2012 and replaced in 2013z cost at the dealer at the time were $650 in parts and another $600 in labor per cooler.

I lived with it for a few months but that meant I couldn’t turn the bilge pump on while in the water or I would be pumping oil contaminated water into the river/lake I was boating in. Get caught doing that and i would have been up for a massive fine.

sounds like the seller was being honest and the oil you saw came from a sloppy oil change but if you still are not sure bring a paper towel with you the next time you see it and run that towel along the seams of the oil cooler all with the face. In my bad coolers one was leaking from the bolts hold the sides together (one of the bolts h had a head break off of it), the other was leaking from the seam (the parts warped and caused the seam to separate. If you see any oil on the rag afterwards look further/closer (e.g. dry the coolers off, run the engines for a minute or two and check for leaks again) and consider the above in deciding if you want to move forward with the purchase.

Boat2024!

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just an update on purchase. The owner cleaned it up and checked the entire engine for loose whatever. Found a couple hex heads that needed tightening on oil pan. Placed a towel under day and night to check. Towel was dry. Oil cooler is dry. Sent pictures etc. We made a decision to go ahead with purchase. Big learning curve but that's awesome. Thanks again for input members. It's a go!:winkingthumbsup":winkingthumbsup":winkingthumbsup" Yahoo!😄

Last edited: