• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

These Scarabs May Not Be Safe!

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
NOTE: Just an update, the issue was not a carbon seal failure, it was a resonator box trap issue, vibrating the through-hull hose out of the hull and causing the boat to fill with water.

Hi everyone, my boat has just come off the lake today with a major issue. I’ve got a 2015 Scarab 195 HO Impulse. We had about 7 people in the boat today, we set out later in the day, roughly 4pm from my marina in Toronto. We just got out of my marina and into the lake, and the boat started taking on water like nothing else. On came the scuba masks to check the plugs, no issues there, they were in solid. The boat didn’t hit anything, it was smooth sailing, so my only remaining thought was that damn carbon seal. I wouldn't even have known about that if it wasn't for this forum, thank you for that.

I had everyone get a life jacket on, the water was a few inches above the deck, the engine was flooded and the boat had shut off and wouldn’t start. We started bailing like crazy, the stock electric bailer couldn’t keep up so we were using everything we had to try to get the water out. We called CTow with no useful response ("what province are you in? It will be a few hours" come on, I'm sinking!), finally over the radio the guys from my marina and the neighboring yacht club came to get us and emergency beach the boat on the rocks to prevent it from sinking. Then we bailed like crazy because we still weren’t out of the water. Finally the marina guys brought a big electric portable bailer and we got the boat buoyant enough to bring to the lift and onto the trailer. She’s mostly bailed out, and just sitting in the marina yard. I’ll have to take it to the shop next week when I have time.

I’m frigin livid. I’m talking to another guy who owns a 2014 Scarab 195 in my marina who has had nothing but problems as well about a lawsuit. There were 7 people on that boat and it wasn't close to shore, one of the girls I learned can’t swim well either. Someone could have died and Scarab knows about this issue. I can’t even begin to think what could have happened at night, which we often do.

Does anyone have any advice on this one? Is this a dealer thing, or a warranty thing, or just plain get a lawyer and get a new boat? The boat was given a clean bill of health after coming back from the maintenance shop this season. My girl said she won’t even get back in it, even if they do fix it. What’s crazy to me is we have just been talking about this on this forum. These boats might not be safe is all I can say, god forbid if you have a child onboard or something and you’re not near help.

I’m going to take it to the shop next week and get it inspected. I’ll need to chain it to the trailer because there was so much water in it that they broke the strap trying to get it off the lift onto the trailer it was so heavy. But, there’s nothing else it could be but that damn carbon seal. I’ve got to replace like 4 cell phones (lost in the water and confusion) and everything in my tool boxes as they quickly became bailers just to keep up with the stock bilge pump and my mandatory hand pump bailer. If you’re keeping your Scarabs carry a heavy duty portable bailer, please.

Last edited:

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wow!...... Just, wow. Glad everyone is okay.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Damn dude.... so sorry to hear this happened. I too have wondered how long the carbon seal would survive on recreational boats/pwcs that are trailered and often run out of the water. Such running out of water is what starts the carbon seal troubles.

I gotta admit that I often look at the scarab boats and drool over their sexiness but I stop due to who powers the vessels.

Hopefully somebody gets a lawsuit filed and won before someone pays the ultimate price.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This has just been discussed. I think @ScarabMike has been warning about this in skis and now boats for years. The problem is, it could be a slight shaft alignment issue, as well as running it out of the water...

--

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
HOLY CRAP! That's terrible. ..fortunately everybody is OK, but it's terrible that it has tarnished their opinion of boating!

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Damn dude.... so sorry to hear this happened. I too have wondered how long the carbon seal would survive on recreational boats/pwcs that are trailered and often run out of the water. Such running out of water is what starts the carbon seal troubles.

I gotta admit that I often look at the scarab boats and drool over their sexiness but I stop due to who powers the vessels.

Hopefully somebody gets a lawsuit filed and won before someone pays the ultimate price.

Ya, mine only has about 40 hours on it and I rarely ran it out of water, I'm thinking misalignment over time. Of course I have no idea how the techs that are working on it are treating it. One thing for sure, the Beneteau Group needs to acknowledge the issue. I'm not even really confident getting back into the boat when they fix it. I'm worried someone is going to get killed over this one day, are the other brands of jet boats having these issues?

Pirana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
To sad that this early boats have had so much problems! They are great boats but apparently there had to be an issue on the 195s mold.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

Floyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
I would think that the wear on the carbon seal would be minimal between trips, so the OP's experience from one trip to the next resulting in a flooding is peculiar, and concerning. Would it be possible to back the boat into the water on a trailer and look for the source of the leak, or fill the boat with a hose and see where the water leaks out? Other posts describing cracked castings or broken hoses come to mind, though this one seems like a lot of water coming in fast.

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Ya, mine only has about 40 hours on it and I rarely ran it out of water, I'm thinking misalignment over time. Of course I have no idea how the techs that are working on it are treating it. One thing for sure, the Beneteau Group needs to acknowledge the issue. I'm not even really confident getting back into the boat when they fix it. I'm worried someone is going to get killed over this one day, are the other brands of jet boats having these issues?
Just out of curiosity, where did you purchase the boat from? I'm from Toronto as well and I'm interested how your dealers helps resolve the problem...

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Just out of curiosity, where did you purchase the boat from? I'm from Toronto as well and I'm interested how your dealers helps resolve the problem...
Hey, I bought the boat in Barrie from ST Onge Recreation, but I've been using the Boat Warehouse in Kingston for everything since the purchase because there service is excellent, they have knowledgeable staff and maintain a fleet of Scarab's. I also have family in Kingston where they are located, so I often use a trip to Kingston as an excuse to visit. The Boat Warehouse deals with everything, warranty's, etc. and they specialize in only boats, whereas the original dealer sells a few boats of mixed type, quads, bikes, sea-doos, etc.

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey, I bought the boat in Barrie from ST Onge Recreation, but I've been using the Boat Warehouse in Kingston for everything since the purchase because there service is excellent, they have knowledgeable staff and maintain a fleet of Scarab's. I also have family in Kingston where they are located, so I often use a trip to Kingston as an excuse to visit. The Boat Warehouse deals with everything, warranty's, etc. and they specialize in only boats, whereas the original dealer sells a few boats of mixed type, quads, bikes, sea-doos, etc.
I purchased from st onge as well, I live and boat in simcoe so its just convenient. They have been working on seadoo boats for years so they know these brp engines very well.... Keep us posted on what the outcome is, im very curious on how the dealer / scarab will take care of you...

PanamaJet

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
To be fair, St. Onge Recreation is the largest (by volume) Scarab dealer in eastern Canada. One would think that they are familiar with the maintenance and repairs.

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
To be fair, St. Onge Recreation is the largest (by volume) Scarab dealer in eastern Canada. One would think that they are familiar with the maintenance and repairs.
I didn't know that, thanks for letting me know. I may reconsider how I get maintenance done then. Thanks again.

Scarabpaul

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I didn't know that, thanks for letting me know. I may reconsider how I get maintenance done then. Thanks again.
Robert,

Just out of curiosity, prior to your boat nearly sinking, was there any water draining from your boat when you removed the plug after an outing? Looking back was there any other signs that should of raised concern? Others have found warm water in the locker which was an early sign....

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I actually keep my boat in the water in the marina nearly all year and rarely trailer it unless I have a trip or cottage vacation to attend. I'm really strict about the water, I'm always checking for it. After every outing I'll check the engine bay and the ski locker. I almost never have quantities of water that I found concerning. I can usually sop up any water in the engine bay with a shop towel and spray with CRC-556. The ski locker is a bit tricky because it collects water from our wakeboards and rain and things. I'll clean it out and sop up all the water and if we just do a cruise into Toronto and back almost never have water in it. It's just those wakeboarding days or rainy days I found when I find water. Prior to my incident I actually wasn't even sure if my bilge would work because I've never seen it work.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if there's water in the locker there's more water in the engine bay? Just based on how the through-way tube is situated? Whether the water is warm or not I always thought was due to engine heat and maybe just a warm day?

Robert Sands

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
FYI everyone. I posted this on a few other posts dealing with this issue.

My last update from the BRP guys is that the carbon seal wasn't the issue after all. The issue was a rubber strap on the resonator broke and caused the hose that was connected in a through-hull position to come off. Unfortunately this causes irreversible leaking if the boat is still in the water. When I was diagnosing it the engine bay was full of water and there was no way to see that. The techs and BRP did a great job with me actually. I think they're starting to see that people are scrutinizing the Scarabs and starting to pay attention.