• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

why 1200 supercharged is more HP then 1630?

shiver22

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
NA
Hi I'm in love with the power that the skis and sea doos can make for their size. I'm looking at swapping one into a car. I've seen on other sites there are supercharger kits for the 1200 that can put out up to 500 horsepower. I'd don't want anything close for normal driving. The bigger 1630 that I have found that already has a supercharger says it can produce 230 but I understand it can be pushed up to 300. I'm wondering why the older cheaper engine I can find a used supercharger kit for us more powerful. The car is only going to be 1700lbs so I think more torque from the bigger engine might be better but will increase the weight but since there is so much power for both I guess it doesn't matter. I'm wondering if the 1630 can be dialed up, (tuned) way higher than the 1200 or if the 1630 is more reliable and will not need rebuilding as fast as the smaller engine? I just want to be able to say I have a powerful engine for cheap because I used my head to find the best option rather than spending huge money that I don't really have. Again only want to be pushed into my seat when accelerating to 70-80km. The only time I will turn it up to very high power, is if someone want to race it once or twice against a Corvette c8 or Nissan gtr (Porsche killer) once or twice after building. I'm terrified of the water, lol but I respect the rotax because of the power that new cars are finally being looked into. I've looked at yammie 180hp engines but I'd rather have more torque. I'm also assuming it won't need rebuilding so quick since it won't be banged around in the water. I apologize that this isn't specifically about a watercraft but you are the smart guys and I'm a learning woman that wants the best information. Thanks you.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
WHY? Use a motorcycle engine as your base, like a Yamaha R1, Suzuki Katana, Hayabusa, Kawasaki Ninja H2R @ 326 hp. The cooling system will be better for over the road versus the cooling plate and modifications needed when you take it out of the water.
Now if you had Travis Pastrana's $$ you could put an 860 hp Subaru motor in it.

20240116_173053.jpg

Last edited:

shiver22

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
NA
I'm not aware of any engines for motorcycles that can put out the kind of power that a sea or skidoo can. I didn't think the seadoo needed any major modification that couldn't be takes from a skidoo or from car parts infact I think I could make more power by changing to a bigger cooling system and having more space to keep hot stuff from cool stuff should benefit, no? When people are putting motorcycle wbgines in cars while motorcycles are having people swap snowmobile engines in, and snowmobiles are having water craft engine swaps... Everyone are looking for the most powerful engines. I thought I'd skip the line and put a boat engine in a car.

I just realized that there is a 2 and 4 stroke 1200 out there but people only are referring to them as 1200 that can have a supercharger it could be added for 300-500. I am trying to figure out which one.

The engine bay has a limited space and if I install a heavier engine, I'd need to do a lot more work beefing up the chassis and suspension adding more weight. I want better power to weight not to increase both ending up the same. I also don't want insane horsepower. I want a small light car that has the ability to dial up the horsepower once or twice in its life.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Kawasaki Ninja H2R @326 hp vs BRP RXT-x 325 @ 325 hp

20240117_062135.jpg

Do you already have the BRP motor? You can get a Ninja engine for $5K.
Anyway, send us pics of the project. What chassis are you going to use?

Last edited:

shiver22

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
GTS
Boat Length
NA
Kawasaki Ninja H2R @326 hp vs BRP RXT-x 325 @ 325 hp

View attachment 213910

Do you already have the BRP motor? You can get a Ninja engine for $5K.
Anyway, send us pics of the project. What chassis are you going to use?
I didn't end up getting the motor. 5k for an engine is a good price. I'm looking at an h2 non turbo motor for 1000 and install a twin scroll turbo on it for 500. I am trying to find out what the stock internals can take before needing to upgrade it. I still think the Rotax engine is a better option from what I'm hearing about the 900cc putting out even more power then the 1200. Keep going down in displacement and going up in power. The aftermarket side is making this into race powerhouses. I still think higher torque from these engines with lower horsepower is the best combination. I've been told to look at modified diesel small engines.