• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Articulating Keel Removal

Tiemanbr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
I have read a few threads and comments about removing the articulating keel (AK) to increase turning agility and ease. I have driven the older Yamaha jet boats (prior to the AK) and they had much smaller turning radius and required less force to turn the steering wheel. From what I understand Yamaha converted to the AK on all their boats to increase low speed maneuverability which jetboats are notoriously not good at. I have installed the JetBoat Pilot Thrust Vectors (TV) also which seem to work better than the AK. Having both might be overkill so wanted to explore removing the AK and keeping the TVs on. I could not find any videos how to remove the AK so I attempted it on my own. I got everything off except the removal of the pin shaft as shown in the picture. According to the parts schematic this pin is just pressed in but I can not get it out. I have tried soaking in WD-40, heating the AK and tapping a threaded bolt from the bottom but no luck. Has anyone removed this pin before and any suggestions.

IMG_8040.jpg

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
(Pressed in) so press it out. Hard to tell from photo but the bolt in the bottom screws into the pin..............I would purchase a longer bolt and put a hydraulic jack on the concrete floor and push the pin up...............the pin should move up as long as the friction is not grater than the boats weights. If friction is greater than boat weight you'll lift the boat off the trailer. (I don't think its in that tight)

Hope this helps

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Move the rudder left and right all the way so you can check for set screws.

Tiemanbr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Yes mine also had an allen locking pin bolt that I removed but still can not get the pin out. I tried threading a longer bolt into the bottom hole and use a jack to press it out but ended up bending the bolt. Will just have to cut the bent bolt off to remove. Any other ideas?

Attachments

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Have you viewed that part on a blown-apart parts diagram? Might help give you a visual of it.

Tiemanbr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Yes but the diagram is not exactly clear. See attached

Attachments

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Wow......you will have to use a graded bolt like a Grade 5 but if the bolt breaks off you will need to start jacking using a deep well socket smaller than the large pin............but first................ Is their a set screw or pin in the hole on the side????? if there's a pin in that hole the large SS pin could have an indentation ground into it allowing the set pin to lock it in place making it imposable to remove until the small pin is removed first............

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Looks like #20 in that diagram is a giant pin with a few different bushings that keep it tight - I'd soak it with PB Blaster for a day or more, then use something stronger than a bolt (do you have a punch set?) to push it out with a bottle jack from the bottom.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Wow......you will have to use a graded bolt like a Grade 5 but if the bolt breaks off you will need to start jacking using a deep well socket smaller than the large pin............but first................ Is their a set screw or pin in the hole on the side????? if there's a pin in that hole the large SS pin could have an indentation ground into it allowing the set pin to lock it in place making it imposable to remove until the small pin is removed first............
Yep, #22 appears to be a set screw.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bing,bing bing bing # 22 is the licking pin and it has to be removed first...... no way will it press out until its gone and you can see the groove in #20 large pin it locks into

Tiemanbr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Ok I got a brilliant idea from another member and he said to tap from the top. I thought the pi has a mushroom head but it is really a tapered head which gets pressed into place from the bottom. He said to tap from the top and I finally was able to get it to move down a bit. It is coming our but will take some time for sure and patience because it is still crazy tight.

Attachments

Tiemanbr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
SOLVED!. Got it out with some additional penetrant and tapping from the top with sockets and extension and hammer. Wow...hopefully I don't need to get this back in again. Attached pictures of the press shaft in case anyone wants to try it. Good luck and thanks all for helping. Key is tap from the top.

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Having a lot of experience with these boats handling at all speeds let me say that the keel in my opinion gets in the way and hits the ground a lot often breaking off, I have customers that totally remove that and place my super ultimate steering on the nozzles for a lot more steering at all speeds and spring loaded as well plus the ability to set them to the level that suits their personal needs.
Customers boat with a broken rudder
1714433375010.jpeg
Same boat with the broken rudder removed and a set of COBRA SUPER ULTIMATE STEERING added to the nozzles
1714433513689.jpeg

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Make sure you let us know how it runs!

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sweet sound like you got it under control would like to hear how it does without the rudder. Or just like the rest of us....and most of us have the rudder thrusters on the jet nozzle, and Jet boat pilot and Cobra Jet Steering are too vary good options if you need better steering without the harder to turn steering wheel.

Good Luck

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
X2 would like to hear the results

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For anyone else who may come here looking to remove that, I did 1 that was frozen solid. It's not hard to remove the entire assembly from the hull. Its 4 nuts from the inside, access from the cleanout tray. Then I use a razor to cut the silicone behind it and pried it out with a flathead screw driver. Reassembly is easy, I used 4200 on the backside to seal it. But with the assembly out, a oxy acetylene torch and a large punch will remove that pin. I cleaned it up nice and put fresh bushings in it. Nice and smooth now.

jacoviii

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Removal ov the steering keel / rudder is not the issue the newer boats have a deeper sharper keel. This keep you "straighter.