• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

08 AR230 Aftermarket Bimini Top

Jeff Nelson

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 08 AR230 and my bimini top fabric is shot. I am either going to get the canvas replaced by an upholstery shop or go with this bimini top from Reborn. The Reborn bimini is 6.5 x 6.5 feet and made from stainless steel and i like how it mounts. As far as taking it down after a day of boating i would leave the frame attached and just remove the canvas. Has anybody else purchased one of these for their AR230's?

Here is the link for the reborn bimini top. https://www.reborntower.com/tower-bimini/132

s-l500.jpg

SA Abbott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a 08 AR230 and my bimini top fabric is shot. I am either going to get the canvas replaced by an upholstery shop or go with this bimini top from Reborn. The Reborn bimini is 6.5 x 6.5 feet and made from stainless steel and i like how it mounts. As far as taking it down after a day of boating i would leave the frame attached and just remove the canvas. Has anybody else purchased one of these for their AR230's?

Here is the link for the reborn bimini top. https://www.reborntower.com/tower-bimini/132

View attachment 121955
Jeff- I have the same issue. Did you purchase the top. Please advise as I am in need to replace ASAP! Thank you Stanley

SA Abbott

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Jeff - thank you for your reply. However, I am unable to open your links that you posted. Could you send it to me again via this chat? Thank you Stanley

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am looking at the same thing for my 09 AR230, was looking at a Big Air Super Shadow. Does the Reborn one have a spot for the tow point if you put it over the top?

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m going to revive this thread for a hot minute to review the Reborn Pro2 extra large Bimini top that is pictured above for my 08 AR230. Bought it off eBay for around 600 bucks. If you go to buy this top and you’re planning to put it under your tower make sure you measure the front inside and back inside distance. I was already planning on installing over the tower but I decided to see what it looked like under, well the front part wouldn’t fit, it was too wide for the tower. So make sure you get the extra hardware to mount it above the tower (mine came included). Also ask for the extra Bimini clamp inserts for the 1 7/8in tower, as they do not come with them unless asked (I asked and they sent them free of charge).

This was relatively easy putting together even without instructions but they do have instructions on their website. When I looked at the instructions I thought why in the hell would you put the Bimini on without it on the boat and I skipped this step, DON’T SKIP THIS STEP, lol. I was lucky enough to line up all but two posts perfectly. So when we got to the lake and started placing this I quickly realized I wouldn’t be able to zip up the side zippers (port/starboard middle side zips). It still stayed on very tight so after our boating day I just marked and moved how far I needed to move the support posts.

When installing the Bimini, place the front half on first, it’s the side that has two long-ish zippers with a slight angle to go around the front curve of the supports. The Bimini clamps come with lock washers on the bolts, and the rest do not so make sure you check every now and then to see if everything is tight. Even the bolts with lock washers because I just don’t trust anything 😂😂

This top has plenty of clearance to still use the tow point on the tower, we wakeboarded with it fine the other day. I think I could probably lower my tower bimini a couple inches yet and still have clearance. This Bimini is rated for 35mph, we had a stiff south breeze both days around 15-20mph so we didn’t push going over 20 much but did see 25mph and the Bimini was fine. When we had the wind behind us we were doing 30 without issue. Obviously remove it before you travel on the highway. The Bimini itself seems nice, the fabric seems sturdy. There are mostly zippers for it to attach to the posts and only four Velcro parts that are maybe 4-5in wide. Just wanted everyone to realize it isn’t Velcro that supports this Bimini on the posts! Time will tell with how this holds up, so I will update after the summer is over since we have plenty of trips and lake days planned. If anyone needs any closer pictures let me know as well.

3DB5E172-C95F-400F-8507-622197D0064C.jpeg

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m going to revive this thread for a hot minute to review the Reborn Pro2 extra large Bimini top that is pictured above for my 08 AR230. Bought it off eBay for around 600 bucks. If you go to buy this top and you’re planning to put it under your tower make sure you measure the front inside and back inside distance. I was already planning on installing over the tower but I decided to see what it looked like under, well the front part wouldn’t fit, it was too wide for the tower. So make sure you get the extra hardware to mount it above the tower (mine came included). Also ask for the extra Bimini clamp inserts for the 1 7/8in tower, as they do not come with them unless asked (I asked and they sent them free of charge).

This was relatively easy putting together even without instructions but they do have instructions on their website. When I looked at the instructions I thought why in the hell would you put the Bimini on without it on the boat and I skipped this step, DON’T SKIP THIS STEP, lol. I was lucky enough to line up all but two posts perfectly. So when we got to the lake and started placing this I quickly realized I wouldn’t be able to zip up the side zippers (port/starboard middle side zips). It still stayed on very tight so after our boating day I just marked and moved how far I needed to move the support posts.

When installing the Bimini, place the front half on first, it’s the side that has two long-ish zippers with a slight angle to go around the front curve of the supports. The Bimini clamps come with lock washers on the bolts, and the rest do not so make sure you check every now and then to see if everything is tight. Even the bolts with lock washers because I just don’t trust anything 😂😂

This top has plenty of clearance to still use the tow point on the tower, we wakeboarded with it fine the other day. I think I could probably lower my tower bimini a couple inches yet and still have clearance. This Bimini is rated for 35mph, we had a stiff south breeze both days around 15-20mph so we didn’t push going over 20 much but did see 25mph and the Bimini was fine. When we had the wind behind us we were doing 30 without issue. Obviously remove it before you travel on the highway. The Bimini itself seems nice, the fabric seems sturdy. There are mostly zippers for it to attach to the posts and only four Velcro parts that are maybe 4-5in wide. Just wanted everyone to realize it isn’t Velcro that supports this Bimini on the posts! Time will tell with how this holds up, so I will update after the summer is over since we have plenty of trips and lake days planned. If anyone needs any closer pictures let me know as well.

View attachment 152838
Did you loctite all the set screws and other screws? Second time out with mine last weekend actually moving around the lake at like 30-40 mph and I had a bunch of set screws vibrate loose. Once a couple got loose the whole thing started moving a lot. Gonna take them all out and loctite everything this weekend.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you loctite all the set screws and other screws? Second time out with mine last weekend actually moving around the lake at like 30-40 mph and I had a bunch of set screws vibrate loose. Once a couple got loose the whole thing started moving a lot. Gonna take them all out and loctite everything this weekend.
Ya that’s a fantastic idea 👍 I’ll do that for sure, those little tiny screws are a pain if you lose them

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I accidentally hit report instead of reply…I had like 7 of the set screws fall out in like 10 minutes once it got loose and even the bigger screws with lock washers on them get lose

bsp22

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Acard7,
I love the look of that bimini. I recently installed a Big Air Cuda tower on my 2008 SX 230. It looks great, but the OEM bimini will not fit with the new tower. I was looking at your bimini or a super shadow by Big Air. Question: My wife hates the look of having the bimini frame up on top of the tower when not using the bimini material. Is the framework something that can be easily removed on the water or just not a real option?

Thank you.
Brian

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Acard7,
I love the look of that bimini. I recently installed a Big Air Cuda tower on my 2008 SX 230. It looks great, but the OEM bimini will not fit with the new tower. I was looking at your bimini or a super shadow by Big Air. Question: My wife hates the look of having the bimini frame up on top of the tower when not using the bimini material. Is the framework something that can be easily removed on the water or just not a real option?

Thank you.
Brian

I don't think the bimini tower frame looks all that bad on top without the material, I wish I had a picture, if you want one I can probably get one after I am off work tonight. I guess I don't know what you would do with the frame if you're on the water, but it's pretty much like clamps for speakers. There are 4 allen bolts with lock washers that tighten into the clamps, so you could take those out and have the frame off, but it would definitely be a two person job. I do question the longevity of the bimini frame but I assume most are made pretty similar. It did get put to the test in Lake of the Ozarks last weekend pretty well, even had a major windstorm one night come through, which it was in the slip by then, but man that was some hefty wind. I did loctite every single bolt on it as well.

bsp22

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great information. Thank you.

JJeanson007

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a 2008 Yamaha AR230 and it came with an aftermarket Bimini Top that was installed last year by the previous owner. It goes under the wake tower when its up. To close it up or open it have to remover the finger bolts on both sides every time. It is quite the 2 person operation and not an easy task. When its in the closed position it is behind the wake tower but even with the top bar. Does anyone know if the supports can be shortened so it can freely open and close without having to maneuver the arms off the supports? It's always a 2 person job and I'm afraid someone will scratch the boat if they aren't careful.

Bimini top.jpg.

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just bought a 2008 Yamaha AR230 and it came with an aftermarket Bimini Top that was installed last year by the previous owner. It goes under the wake tower when its up. To close it up or open it have to remover the finger bolts on both sides every time. It is quite the 2 person operation and not an easy task. When its in the closed position it is behind the wake tower but even with the top bar. Does anyone know if the supports can be shortened so it can freely open and close without having to maneuver the arms off the supports? It's always a 2 person job and I'm afraid someone will scratch the boat if they aren't careful.
I’m sure any custom shop can get you shorter poles if you’re wanting that, but it’ll change the height of the bimini top too, and might make it sit weird or catch more wind.. My guess is you would have to get a new custom bimini so the shop could get the exact measurements, but you won’t know until you take it to someone. Sorry I’m not much help! 😅