• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

'09 212ss Engine failure

dansws6

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Looking for input on rear cylinder failure. While cruising @ 35mph on local lake engine was shutoff and immediately restarted without powering down the other motor. As I attempted to restart the motor it would not start. Removal of the last plug revealed significant damage (see photo) which leads me to believe valve filure destroying the plug. I have not pulled the head at this time and my worst fear is damage to cylinder, piston and possibly rod. Has anyone witnessed this type of damage? The motor was running excellent until shutting it off and never started back up. Fresh non-ethanol fuel was used.

Attachments

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello @dansws6 and welcome to the site. Personally, I haven't read or viewed A pic of a plug like that on our site. Have you checked compression yet?

I have pulled one of my engines a few times for a sticky valve issue though. With the right tools, It's pretty easy to do. So pm me if you want info on how to do that. Also, from my experience if you need major repairs it's much cheaper to pull the engine and bring it to a shop that works on waverunners or jet skis.

Sorry that your coming to us because of engine issues, but glad that you found us here on the site. Hopefully we can get you up and running again soon.

farrelltravis

Jetboaters Captain
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
glad to have you on board, sorry we had to meet this way,

update your profile with your location so we know where you're at,

Are you experienced with engine work ? I believe it is not to difficult if you have the ability,

This is from our FAQ tab at the top of the page about pulling the engine,
https://jetboaters.net/faq/how-to-remove-an-engine.117/

Last edited:

DCB-270

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I've never had an issue with my MR1 s . I have rebuilt the two strokes several times. If it is toast you might try a salvaged jet ski with the same motor.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
That sucks man. How many hours do you have on it?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@dansws6
You are bringing a new problem to us that I don't believe anyone has seen but we are here to help you. Just ask away.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I have heard that the mr-1 requires a valve job at a certain point. If they got out of alignment enough then this could be the first case that warrented the precaution of that maintenance that i know of. Please keep us informed as i feel that the mr-1 is still the most reliable motor from Yamaha!

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Please do let us know how many hours are on the boat.