• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

09 212SS Taking in water! Help!

kamilo2000

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Hello,

I recently purchased a used boat 09 212ss and on the second time out on the water I noticed big cavitation issues.. I took it to a jet ski/ jet boat mechanic and they sealed the pumps. I tested it on the water and the cavitation was gone but now the boat is taking on water. I took it back and now they tell me it's nothing that they touched. It takes on very little water with the engines off but when you ride it it takes on a considerable amount of water. I keep on trying to see where it comes from but can find the leak. Please help me!

Dfred

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The game is afoot! A few things to try before launching back in and .... frantically searching for a leak, while under way: can you recreate it on the trailer hooked up to the hose? Is the water coming in hot or cold? “Considerable” when running sounds like possibly an engine cooling water system leak? (Remember don’t flow water into the engine flush without having the engine running first, and shut the water off before shutting down the engine).
- Check both engines raw water intake and cooling through to the exhaust system entirely. It could be any number of the crappy hose clamps and connections from the jetpump through-hull into the 3/4” hose leading to the Y for the flush ... all the way to the exhaust/water box connections just as they exit next to the jetpumps (hose clamps have been known to rust and fail). Get in and inspect the exhaust compartment (may have to bypass the engine kill switches at the clean out hatch to inspect exhaust water while engines run). You may have to “emergency tow” clamp-off the intake line from the jetpump...
(Maybe do yourself a favor and replace any hose clamps you find that look that they will fail anyway....)

- The impeller shaft through-hull point is also another leak spot (that underway vibrating would allow more water through) - this may be easier to check with the old “tip the boat up on the trailer and fill the bilge with gallons of water .... see where the leaks are coming out” test. When pulling pumps, I noticed on our 2009 that every transom/jetpump bolt was not very tight - resealed and tightened that plate as well as the impeller shaft through-hull which was in fact leaking a bit (heh, same for every tie-down eye and cleat - nuts were falling off!).

Also:
- Scupper from the cockpit floor drain fail? Wow do they fail - A must replace item to stainless steel with proper caulking.
- Anchor locker drain that is under water while motoring slowly and some weight in the bow? (Cork it... you’ll be so much drier and happier)

kamilo2000

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Thank you for your response, we did the fill up with water with the plug on and saw a very small leak but couldn't quite tell where the water was coming from and the mechanic said that wasn't where the leak was.... I inspected the clamps and to my surprise almost all of them were rotted. Unbelievable how this guy's took me for $1500 and couldn't make sure they inspected all the clamps. I'm low key furious.

I hooked up the garden hose and found leaks in both exhausts. Swapped the clamps and no leaks with the garden hose on. (Engine running lol) I'm gonna take it to the water in the morning to see if the issue is gone.20210525_210302.jpg

Attachments

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thank you for your response, we did the fill up with water with the plug on and saw a very small leak but couldn't quite tell where the water was coming from and the mechanic said that wasn't where the leak was.... I inspected the clamps and to my surprise almost all of them were rotted. Unbelievable how this guy's took me for $1500 and couldn't make sure they inspected all the clamps. I'm low key furious.

I hooked up the garden hose and found leaks in both exhausts. Swapped the clamps and no leaks with the garden hose on. (Engine running lol) I'm gonna take it to the water in the morning to see if the issue is gone.View attachment 151403
$1500 ? 😬 Hopefully you’ve got it all fixed up now!!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Probably a cooling line, how's your scupper?

Read the link in my signature below for "known issues" with boats of your vintage