• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1.8L check engine alarm

Tad Steinberg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I'm hoping someone can shed some light on an alarm I am getting. Port engine alarmed after the first trip out this summer (late I know, don't ask) full tank of fuel from winterizing had Stabil, fogged motors etc. before leaving the house ran both engines on the hose. Washed down the bulge, ensuring the bilge pump worked.

Initial trip out ran around the lake for about 20 to 30 mins. Lower Rpm at first and after about 15 minutes went to WOT for a short stent everything was great no alarms. Pulled into the swim cove anchored for about 2 hours. Started both engines, idled out of the swim cove, once out of the no wake area throttled up. Went about 20 seconds and the Check Engine alarm sounded. Shut down the troubled engine immediately cycled through the engine diagnostics. Found no error code. Started and stopped the engine a few times. Checking oil levels, loose connections , water out of the pee holes (both good) no issues. Battery voltage is 12.9 after the outing. freshly charged before the outing.

Boat has approximately 90 hours on the engines. Still under warranty.

The troubled engine check engine diagnostic code says normal SPN 0

Out of curiosity I checked the non troubled engine diagnostic code and it says the same thing. Will likely go get the code/s read this week.

I hope it's water in the fuel or a sensor gone bad.

Does anyone know where I can get the YIDS2, such that I can read the codes myself? image.jpeg

Tad Steinberg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Might have cleared on its own. There are some reports of thermostat replacements being needed. I am one of the 242 owners that required this, but my boat is used in salt water exclusively and takes a corrosive beating even when not in the water (on a lift on shoreline) ... Good luck

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Tad Steinberg hopefully things are okay! I circled you with the 230 last weekend, was wondering if it was someone on the board. Once you said shutoff valve I knew you knew which end was up. Hopefully bad gas.

Mark

Tad Steinberg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@Tad Steinberg hopefully things are okay! I circled you with the 230 last weekend, was wondering if it was someone on the board. Once you said shutoff valve I knew you knew which end was up. Hopefully bad gas.

Mark
I can only hope bad gas. It was the first time out I the season.
I want to get the YIDS2 for future issues. Problem is I can't find one for sale.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Tad Steinberg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
@Tad Steinberg , there's a bunch here... http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1311.R4.TR6.TRC2.A0.H0.Xyamaha+diagn.TRS0&_nkw=yamaha+diagnostic+system&_sacat=0
(I bought one and haven't had much luck getting it to play nice yet - going to try again this week end. I have heard that they don't like some of the newer computers apparently. Planning to dust off an old XP laptop to see what happens...)
Let me know how it goes. $119 an hour (minimum 1 hour) is pretty steep if I can do it myself. I'll check out your link and see what I can come up with.
As soon as I get word back from the dealer I'll post an update.

Tad Steinberg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I found this on line and it makes sense that the 1.33 version software won't work on the 2012's and up.
YDS2 kits are Coming soon!!!
90890 06883
we are about to release our new YDS2 kit , this system is much more advanced than old YDS and is required on all 2012 on models with updated electronics , download the YDS2 manual from the link below
http://www.brpdiagnostics.com/yamaha-yds2-diagnostic/

Tad Steinberg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Dealer called and hooked up the computer and ran the codes. the code given was 203 (I think) which is an Oxygen Sensor code. Hopefully it is covered under warranty.

Tad Steinberg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
The sensor is covered under the YES warranty. The service department hasn't seen this failure on any engine thus far... has anyone else had an O2 sensor go bad?

Because they don't go bad too often, there aren't many to be had from Yamaha. At first back ordered, now no longer back ordered but they can't find it.?.?.? We'll see what happens. I am told it will be done mid next week.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think this is one of the first Ox sensor we've heard of failing,
if it's not done by next week maybe they can steal one off of a boat in inventory, I doubt they would but it seems like a logical way to get you back on the water,

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Tad Steinberg did this get all sorted for you by the dealer? Sizzle marine?

Do you know what alum creek is doing with the old docks or have any details on the rebuild at the marina?

Tad Steinberg

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
All sorted, not the happiest with the service from the dealer.

I don't know what is happening with the old docks or the rebuild. I think Jerry Cupp had to back around some equipment working on the docks a few weeks ago. If I hear of anything I'll shout out. Please do the same.

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Tad,

Will do. I'm curious, as my brother in law had his dock float away.. down the ohio river to @Volffas in Cinti, downriver from Portsmouth. I'm looking out for some kind (somewhat) cost effective of replacement for him.

Thanks
Mark