• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1.8L exhaust manifold dumping water.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have 19 AR190. The exhaust manifold is dumping water into the bilge.

it looks like a freeze plug type thing.

could someone take a picture if there’s and tell me what’s missing?

131F92E4-E215-4E37-8895-FF746DF31E10.png96E437A3-4887-4FC8-A807-BB1AA1B07B07.jpeg33AE5C6A-2A29-4EC1-B136-6746EDDC1E8C.jpeg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree that looks like a freeze plug. Odd, though, that it does not show it on the parts breakout...

Don't have a little plug sitting in your bilge, do you?

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys. Looks like it’s what we thought it was.

how do you repair a freeze plug? Are they just pressed in? Or do you have to replace the manifold?

Tyguy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Oh, wow, never seen one just pop out like that. Weird. Every freeze plug I've seen is a press fit. Clean up the hole to remove any contaminants, press in the plug, and gently tap with something like a socket and hammer. Probably worth buying a new one from Yamaha even if you find the old one laying around in the bottom of the boat, and while making the purchase asking if they use any kind of sealant. I doubt they do but it's worth asking just in case.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Usually they are pressed (or hammered) in... With a little goo on them, optimally. Might be easier to pull it to do that.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Interestingly, on my mr1 it's on the top side and further up in the air right next to another plug with a square fitting

20200817_190147.jpg

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Are you still under warranty? I had an inspection done on the used 212S I just bought and my dealer had it done in a day. I don't think they have a lot going on right now. No new boats to prep and all the spring checkups are done. That way the manifold freeze plug is on there records.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you still under warranty? I had an inspection done on the used 212S I just bought and my dealer had it done in a day. I don't think they have a lot going on right now. No new boats to prep and all the spring checkups are done. That way the manifold freeze plug is on there records.
Well, according the dealer foreman (I have his cellphone) he said they don’t have freeze plugs and he said we should replace both manifolds if that plug popped out because likely there are cracks elsewhere.

I am out of warranty. Boat has 500 hours on it currently

I don’t show any freeze plug on the schematics. How do you know what freeze plug size to use?

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
You have a 2019 Ar190 with 500 hours? I just sold my 2017 AR190 and It had 300 hrs, and I thought I was a real "Jet Boat Captain" 😎

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well, according the dealer foreman (I have his cellphone) he said they don’t have freeze plugs and he said we should replace both manifolds if that plug popped out because likely there are cracks elsewhere.

I am out of warranty. Boat has 500 hours on it currently

I don’t show any freeze plug on the schematics. How do you know what freeze plug size to use?
May need to try this temporarily

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@WREKS @Beachbummer @Cobra Jet Steering LLC

any idea what this plug is for ?? I would have believed emergency drain or freeze plug because on the 1.8L it's at the very bottom of the fitting but on my MR1 it's on the top side plus the plug with the square fitting ??

maybe if there is a blockage further aft in the exhaust line creating pressure this plug blows out to prevent water back flowing to the engine ??

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Throw some JB weld on it, replace the manifold in the off season.

jmargo

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You could remove the manifold and check for cracks and blockages then take it to a machine shop to see if they have a freeze plug that size. Or just take some measurements and go to a machine shop.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Alright so I found the plug that came out. I was able to locate a replacement plug. Its. 20mm shallow plug.
E326AE4A-828A-4BA6-AA27-69248199A645.jpeg6E4BAB25-7ECC-4E6D-924E-AD58CED5B380.jpeg
the plug went in easier than I was expecting since I was doing it blind.

ran it on the hose for about 10 mins between idle and 2500 rpms.

took it to the lake and idled from the trailer to the dock no issues. Checked before pulling away from the dock. All was dry. idled through no wake and gave it gas. Went about 300 yards and pulled off throttle to check and as soon as I looked back bilge was running and plug had popped out.

I tried to locate the plug in the bilge but haven’t been able to find it yet. I will look some more when the engine is not hot.

other than putting the plug in crooked, (possible) any other reason anyone can think this would pop back out?

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Find some high heat epoxy and thoroughly clean the area and coat the plug in place. It should be fine.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Find some high heat epoxy and thoroughly clean the area and coat the plug in place. It should be fine.
No concern that it can’t pop out in the future being permanently epoxied?

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sand paper to clean the hole, brake cleaner to clean any grit and residue left behind. Indian head or permatex NON hardening sealant on the plug. Make sure to tap it in as far as possible. Give the sealant time to set.