• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

1 pair vs 2 pair M880

Leeder327

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello Everyone!

I'm pondering adding a 2nd set of JL M880 speakers to my tower or switching them out to a pair of REV10's. Love the JL Audio sound but we want the sound to be louder at tubing and wakeboarding range.

Current Setup

2017 AR240
6 MX650's - 4 in standard spots in cabin and 2 added on swim deck. These are powered by a JL M600/6
2 M880's on the tower
1 JLM10IB5 in a ported box in the battery compartment port side
The sub and tower speakers are powered by a separate JLM600/6, bridged, so 200 watts to each speaker

Does adding 2 more JL M880's add more projection for tubing or wakeboarding? Does it make a big difference and is it worth it? If I did that, I'd probably get an M800/8 and use that new amp for the 4-M880's.

Or should I swap out the M880's, get a bigger amp and pickup some REV10's, keeping the MX650's in cabin and swimdeck? Are 4 - M880's at 200 watts each going to be louder than 2 REV10's powered at 300-400 watts each?

ALSO, I was not impressed with the infinite baffle woofer when mounted outwards in the port side battery compartment. So we put it in a ported box and that made a big difference. Is there another 10" sub that would sound even better or should I add a 2nd sub elsewhere? I'm not interested in infinite baffle usage and also don't want to take up alot of storage so it would have to be compact. That or maybe replace the 10" with a 12" in a box? But not sure if a 12" sub and box will fit in the port side battery compartment.. Would be nice to add more bass as well.

Attachments

Leeder327

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Tim! @wallacerb Would love to hear your thoughts on 2 pair M880's vs 1 pair REV10's!

Leeder327

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I also switched the in-boat speakers and M880's to high pass this weekend and set the crossover at 80hz which is definitely allowing those speakers to focus on the highs more. We'll see when I'm out again this weekend.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I also switched the in-boat speakers and M880's to high pass this weekend and set the crossover at 80hz which is definitely allowing those speakers to focus on the highs more. We'll see when I'm out again this weekend.
That should help. I set the HPF to 35hz as a precaution and the Fusion head unit has a filter set at 55hz which is about the lowest my stock Polk speakers can go, so that keeps out any deep bass from hitting the amp and speakers. No sub installed...don't feel the need for one.

wallacerb

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks Tim! @wallacerb Would love to hear your thoughts on 2 pair M880's vs 1 pair REV10's!
I am very pro JL products when compared to wetsounds. Not saying they arr inferior but its my opinion that the wetsounds are tuned way to high. Thats why they aways install an EQ with them. But I digress..... 2 sets of 8.8s will provide a much much more well rounded sound than a set rev10s. If you get swivel mounts it just adds to the overall surround quality. Well worth the money...

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Hello Everyone!

I'm pondering adding a 2nd set of JL M880 speakers to my tower or switching them out to a pair of REV10's. Love the JL Audio sound but we want the sound to be louder at tubing and wakeboarding range.

Current Setup

2017 AR240
6 MX650's - 4 in standard spots in cabin and 2 added on swim deck. These are powered by a JL M600/6
2 M880's on the tower
1 JLM10IB5 in a ported box in the battery compartment port side
The sub and tower speakers are powered by a separate JLM600/6, bridged, so 200 watts to each speaker

Does adding 2 more JL M880's add more projection for tubing or wakeboarding? Does it make a big difference and is it worth it? If I did that, I'd probably get an M800/8 and use that new amp for the 4-M880's.

Or should I swap out the M880's, get a bigger amp and pickup some REV10's, keeping the MX650's in cabin and swimdeck? Are 4 - M880's at 200 watts each going to be louder than 2 REV10's powered at 300-400 watts each?

ALSO, I was not impressed with the infinite baffle woofer when mounted outwards in the port side battery compartment. So we put it in a ported box and that made a big difference. Is there another 10" sub that would sound even better or should I add a 2nd sub elsewhere? I'm not interested in infinite baffle usage and also don't want to take up alot of storage so it would have to be compact. That or maybe replace the 10" with a 12" in a box? But not sure if a 12" sub and box will fit in the port side battery compartment.. Would be nice to add more bass as well.
I've got one pair of 8800's on my tower. They're incredibly loud, painful for anyone sitting in the back seat, actually. Recently I took some friends kids wakeboarding and had the two cranked up. The parents followed behind our boat in their boat recording the set. Afterwards they told me that "they weren't going to be able to use the video on FB because the music had too much swearing in it..." 😂 😂 😂 They were easily 200 yards behind us, driving at 20mph in an I/O and the music still came in loud over the wind noise on their phones!

RE the sub, I have a ported 10" behind the helm. A buddy had two 10"s under the rear seats. Honestly, you'll NEVER get the same bass out of X speaker that you'll get in a car. Too much open space. My ported box sounds good, gives a good punch, but you really have to crank it up. If I was to do it over I would've gone with two infinite baffle 10"s cut into the bow side of the rear seat storage area and keep my helm space for storage.

I will give you this piece of advice based on what I just had done myself this wee: Add another set of 650's on the walls by the captain and passenger side! After spending all the money replacing the factory speakers with JL I found out QUICKLY that the captain gets robbed of any good sound in his spot. So as noisy as these motors are at cruise or WOT, I would have to get the system to near max to hear it well, which is painful for everyone else near the stock speaker configurations. Let me know if you want pics of the my install for reference.

Last edited:

messy1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I've got one pair of 8800's on my tower. They're incredibly loud, painful for anyone sitting in the back seat, actually. Recently I took some friends kids wakeboarding and had the two cranked up. The parents followed behind our boat in their boat recording the set. Afterwards they told me that "they weren't going to be able to use the video on FB because the music had too much swearing in it..." 😂 😂 😂 They were easily 200 yards behind us, driving at 20mph in an I/O and the music still came in loud over the wind noise on their phones!

RE the sub, I have a ported 10" behind the helm. A buddy had two 10"s under the rear seats. Honestly, you'll NEVER get the same bass out of X speaker that you'll get in a car. Too much open space. My ported box sounds good, gives a good punch, but you really have to crank it up. If I was to do it over I would've gone with two infinite baffle 10"s cut into the bow side of the rear seat storage area and keep my helm space for storage.

I will give you this piece of advice based on what I just had done myself this wee: Add another set of 650's on the walls by the captain and passenger side! After spending all the money replacing the factory speakers with JL I found out QUICKLY that the captain gets robbed of any good sound in his spot. So as noisy as these motors are at cruise or WOT, I would have to get the system to near max to hear it well, which is painful for everyone else near the stock speaker configurations. Let me know if you want pics of the my install for reference.
Can you send some pics of the position of the added speakers? Also do you have any idea if there is enough room to replace the factory sub with a 12” jl ? 7.9 inches deep

SCP1

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Can you send some pics of the position of the added speakers? Also do you have any idea if there is enough room to replace the factory sub with a 12” jl ? 7.9 inches deep

Attachments

messy1

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Any idea how much room there is on the port side? I am thinking to install a 12” jl sub that’s 8” deep In place of the factory 10” wet sounds sub.