• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

10 hour service/ 1st oil change done myself

Chris K

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hey guys,
well after lots of reading and lots of confusion... i went head and did the oil change myself for the 10 hr service.
I have a few busy weekends coming up, and knew it was going to be some hours on the boat, and the dealer is 3 hour drive away.

So I read up on the 2 forums... ended up confused... but went ahead. I am pretty savy.
Some guys said they get out about 2 qts, .. which was confusing to say the least.
Ordered some royal purple HPM x 8 qts, and went to the local yammy dealer and picked up 2 filters @ 23 bucks a pop... Not sure why filters arent on the 10 hr service list, but I was happy to get any think it filtered out, out of the motor all together.

pulled the boat up to the driveway, all nice and level, the motors were at a slight angle.. the front of the motor was just higher than the rear..
warmed them up for a few mins each... got my parts in the boat, got my extractor in the boat.. pulled the carpet up... cause spills and drips to happen..

started sucking out the oil... just shy of 4 qts on the dot. It took about 20 minutes with warm oil, and a few pumps on the extractor and lil bouncing around when it starts sucking air, loosened the filter that Hulk himself installed, and got a bit more oil out...cleaned the surface where the filter goes and put the new one on.
emptied the extractor, started pulling the oil out of the other. filled up the first motor, ran it for a few to get the oil in the filter, checked it 4 quarts in on the dot.

same thing on the other motor, and its all done..
the oil coming out looked good @ 10.5 hours of use. not cloudy, or milky, not too dark, in the extractor tube, you could see the clarity of it still.

I took pictures of the procedure, of the parts, of the receipts... never know how yamaha would try to get out of anything warranty related. I dont want to give them any excuse.

As far as greasing the jet zerks.. bout 10 squirts in each drive line...

really bout as simple as an oil change gets. I do all my cars and toys and lawn motors... This might even be easier than a briggs motor in my lawn tractor that has the drain hose built into it.

Granted at 160 or so bucks, for oil and filters... ouch.... imagine dealer price would have been 300 or more. and they would not have used royal purple.

SO the after affects... Put on about 5 hours this weekend... motors seemed smooth.. didnt notice any MPG improvements, but do enjoy the feeling of running a true high quality marine oil.

jarozi

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I also did the first service myself this weekend, have to agree with the Hulk comment, I ended up going to get an oil filter adapter for my socket driver to get that sucker off. Also picked up a torque wrench to put the new ones on with the correct torque. As far as the bearing greasing went, I needed about 30 pulls from the grease gun in each housing. That was based on weighing 1 pulls worth of grease on a scale.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Congrats on the oil change! Most of the confusion comes in that we have a number of different engines we are talking about. And the amount of oil you get out of a dry sump vs a wet sump is almost double and 1/2 vs almost all of it. It is a pretty easy job. Use one of those bed pads or pet pads under the engine when changing, it makes cleanup a snap. I used to use the 14 facet socket style oil filter wrench on the 230, but sent it with the boat when I sold it. The first time I removed a filter, I ended up using a wide strap style wrench with sand paper between the strap and the filter, that works easy. So I didn't buy the socket for the 240. I have run synthetic oils in all of my equipment too...until a friend of mine in the oil analysis business shared some info with me. Apparently synthetic oils don't cling long term as well as dino oils, and they also can absorb moisture more easily. They do provide greater pressure capability however. So it is a compromise either way, and in SC, you may not ever store your boat for long periods. But even here in 100+degree Texas, my boat is stored over the winter for at least 4 months if not 6, like this season. That is why I use Yamalube, which is a blend. Congrats on the oil change! Best part of it, is that you learn your way around and know more about your boat!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Congratulations on a job well done. I also grease all the cables and tighten screws when I do the oil and plugs.

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Good job! :winkingthumbsup"

Oils well that ends well....:D
Bwahaha! This guy kills me!

I use the yamalube as well, I figure if they badge it and sell it then it must be the right stuff for the engines.
Although it's probably the same oil that Walmart sells just with a different label and price......

beachbum

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yay... my dealer is 2 hrs away... not a trip I wanted to make to do a service that is pretty straight forward...

congratulations on your new skill set and saving money for ... ummm... other stuff.

twentiesforever

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does anyone see any issues in performing this service while in a wet slip on a calm day? Also, do the plugs have to be pulled at the 10hr service as well?

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The 10 hour service is not an iron clad 10, you can do it at or around 10 hours. I wouldn't go past 20 hours myself but it can be stretched a little. The manual says to remove, clean, inspect, and replace, the spark plugs at 10 hour service. It is my opinion on a spark plug with a crush washer/gasket, that it is a one time use, so unless you have new gaskets, replace the plugs. I changed mine at 10 hours.

Chris K

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I used Royal Purple HPM (high performance marine) 10-40 ... I would have went with amsoil just due to the high rpm these guys run, but I could not get it here in time for a reasonable price. Amazon and the royal purple came second day. I will probably end up trying to become an amsoil distributor, small scale, as I will be doing my truck in 12k miles myself, and an oil change on the boat at least annually.

Nimrod_R

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What am I missing, Greasing the zerk fittings easy? They seem really hard to get to. Any tips to reaching them other than laying on top of the motor? 2017 ar240

Last edited:

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What am I missing, Greasing the zerk fittings easy? They seem really hard to get to. Any tips to reaching them other than laying on top of the motor? 2017 ar240
The fitting is at the top-rear of the motor for our twins. Very easy. You have to lean in a little but that's it. Yamaha put an extension tube/hose from the bearing up to a plate at the top-rear of our engines. Wish they would have built a 90 degree adapter for the oil filters while they were at it. Sigh.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The fitting is at the top-rear of the motor for our twins. Very easy. You have to lean in a little but that's it. Yamaha put an extension tube/hose from the bearing up to a plate at the top-rear of our engines. Wish they would have built a 90 degree adapter for the oil filters while they were at it. Sigh.
So what's the zerk with cover over it at the very rear-bottom of the engine compartment on both sides? That's what I connected to and greased and it was hard to reach.

I used this thread as guidance.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/lubing-the-jet-pump-bearing.7498/#post-129529

Last edited:

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length