• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

10 Hour Service Duration

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
Can you speak of your experiences when having your dealer do the initial 10 hour service? Is a week a normal expectation? I waited 2 months for this appt. I know in my heart of hearts they are not going to perform anything more than a glorified oil change, although they said they will perform a safety inspection. I know a lot of members do the service themselves, but I didn't want to give them an excuse to screw me out of my warranty. Anyway, they've had their hands on it now and if anything happens, their name is on it. I will probably do all the work on my boat from now on as others do. I have a problem with trust. I can't even trust these guys to change the oil for heavens sake. I just retired June 1st after 45 years in the automotive and industrial equipment repair trade. When it comes to my vehicle maintenance and care, I'm totally Captain OCD. I forget who it was on the forum who said "I'm going to lose my s***". 😂 Right now that's me.

lowd77

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
Did it myself. Then I know it's done right. I won't take it to them unless I have to. I have a few warranty things that I'll take it in for at the end of the season.PXL_20210621_163324506.jpg

Wishfull1

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I always say, if you want it done right, do it yourself. I am OCD as well, and even a greasy fingerprint is going to send me over the edge.

Unless you have something wrong that is a warranty issue that they need to look at while their at it, I would do it yourself. They are going to nothing other than lighten your pocket with this glorified oil change. I don't think they do, or look at anything beyond that, regardless of what they say. I haven't been back to the dealership since I bought mine and have zero issues with maintenance.

Much like the 59 point inspection BS they do at car dealerships. Meanwhile my spare tire is underinflated. lol

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did it myself. Then I know it's done right. I won't take it to them unless I have to. I have a few warranty things that I'll take it in for at the end of the season.View attachment 154667
Same pump I have, it works fantastic and you can fish it around easier and get some hiding pockets of oil as well.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@RobbieO I wouldn't assume the dealer did everything correctly when you get your boat back. I would recommend that you check your warm oil levels yourself to make sure it isn't overfilled. I would double check any of their other work as well. There is a good chance that they will do a great job, but in the end it is your boat.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@RobbieO , I did the same thing. My first boat, etc., and I had not found this forum yet, so I figured I would let them do the 10 hour.

Then I found out how little they did for how much I paid. Never again.

I think mine was there a week. What the dealers usually skimp on is the filling of the intermediate bearing. Now, that said, it doesn't need much (and I think that probably @Cobra Jet Steering LLC has the best recommendation I have seen--to take off the zerk and fill it with a syringe). But I am pretty sure that mine came back with less than full by far on that front.

So, don't regret what you did. It will be fine. When you get it back, check the intermediate bearing. Then go buy yourself an oil sucker... :)

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
@RobbieO , I did the same thing. My first boat, etc., and I had not found this forum yet, so I figured I would let them do the 10 hour.

I think mine was there a week. What the dealers usually skimp on is the filling of the intermediate bearing. Now, that said, it doesn't need much (and I think that probably @Cobra Jet Steering LLC has the best recommendation I have seen--to take off the zerk and fill it with a syringe). But I am pretty sure that mine came back with less than full by far on that front.

So, don't regret what you did. It will be fine. When you get it back, check the intermediate bearing. Then go buy yourself an oil sucker... :)
Thanks. I have a HD sucker that I used at work. Funny, the service manager told me the intermediate bearing doesn't need to be greased until 100 hrs. Really? What if not enough was put in there during assembly? I'll be going over everything when I get it back. Thanks for your reply!

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@RobbieO Don't over grease it, otherwise you will have an issue. I just shot a couple few pumps in mine at 10 hour service just on general principal.

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Lucas

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Funny, the service manager told me the intermediate bearing doesn't need to be greased until 100 hrs. Really? What if not enough was put in there during assembly? I'll be going over everything when I get it back.
I think that may be the new guidance on the newer boats. In my day (geez, I sound old), it was part of the 10 hour service. And mine took quite a bit after it came back from its 10 hour service. Like 5+ pumps on my grease gun. Now, one side I think I did bust the seal... So, like @HangOutdoors said, don't put too much.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is what I bought all three items. I am sure there may be better grease guns, just what I came upon.

Amazon.com: Lucas Oil 10320 Marine Grease; Multi-Purpose;14 Ounce: Automotive

Amazon.com: Lnchett Grease Gun, Professional Pistol Grip Grease Gun with 18 Inch Flex Hose, 2 Reinforced Coupler, 7000 PSI: Automotive

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
This is what I bought all three items. I am sure there may be better grease guns, just what I came upon.

Amazon.com: Lucas Oil 10320 Marine Grease; Multi-Purpose;14 Ounce: Automotive

Amazon.com: Lnchett Grease Gun, Professional Pistol Grip Grease Gun with 18 Inch Flex Hose, 2 Reinforced Coupler, 7000 PSI: Automotive

I bought this through from Milwaukee:

And this attachment:

Been using these for years on transit buses

TexAg16

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length

How much did they charge?

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
How much did they charge?
$521...They gave me a checklist of stuff they did. They did spend some extra time checking stuff I complained about. Now their name is on it as the last ones who have touched it. I will be doing all the services after this.

TexAg16

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
$521...They gave me a checklist of stuff they did. They did spend some extra time checking stuff I complained about. Now their name is on it as the last ones who have touched it. I will be doing all the services after this.
I was about to take mine to the dealer tomorrow but it’s a dealer that has a terrible reputation and they charge $125 per hour for labor. Very nervous now and wondering if I should just do it myself and save money…I don’t want my boat to end up sitting in their lot for 2+ weeks.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@TexAg16 If you don't have anything else you need addressed, it is simple to do it yourself. No one will take care of your boat the way YOU WILL! Ever.

Last edited:

RobbieO

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SE
Boat Length
I was about to take mine to the dealer tomorrow but it’s a dealer that has a terrible reputation and they charge $125 per hour for labor. Very nervous now and wondering if I should just do it myself and save money…I don’t want my boat to end up sitting in their lot for 2+ weeks.
Mine did sit for 2 weeks. Originally the said I could pick it up the same day, then in 3 days, then called me a week later to tell me they would start on it the next day, which was day 10. FN joke.