• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

10 hour service time already

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
It seemed like it took a while to get to the 1 hour then this weekend I noticed I am right at the 10 hour mark. Leaving for a week long trip down in St. Mark Florida in 2 weeks so guess I will do this before I leave. Usually I do all my own maintenance work just in the past week did oil changes in my F250 diesel and Volkswagon TDI. However I am thinking of letting the dealer handle this one since I don't want to run into any issues while running off shore in Florida. Sent a message to my dealer to get an idea on what the cost will be will let you know what they charge.

Has anyone done this on their own? I read several posts by other Yamaha owners that have done this but curious if anyone in an FSH has ventured into doing it themselves. Purchasing the oil pump-out on my own would be a win win since I can use it on my VW which would save a ton of time.

highanddryinco

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Dropping mine off this Thursday. $275 + parts. Dealer said to figure close to $375 by the time they're done with parts and tax.
It is what it is, a piece of paper from an "authorized" dealer that may save a warranty headache down the road. Generally though, I hate letting dealers touch anything.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Spoke with dealer and they are 10 days out on work so going to do it myself. Will run by and get the details on what they do and pick up the oil kit which is like $45. Already needed to order a pump out for my Volkswagon TDI so that will be a sound investment. I can always drop my boat off after my trip and have them check it then but I at least want to change the oil and check the plugs. Since I do all my own oil changes on 3 vehicles, mowers, etc.. should not be an issue. Might read through the manual to see what Yamaha says is within the warranty.

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I'd like to know as well if doing your own maintenance will cause problems with the YES that I paid extra to extend.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
$800 is what my local dealer charges or use to a few years ago. It's basically an oil, lube and filter job that does not include replacing the spark plugs.

Doing your own maintenance should not void your warranty, just do it right and save the reciepts .
If you use Yamaha oil and filtersthe cost will be at least twice as much over aftermarket materials but as long as they meet/have the same specs it should not impact your warranty either.

Refer to the service manual to clearly understand what is In scope for each service. For instance, Many people replace the spark plugs at the ten hour mark but the manual says they just need to be checked. I think the rationale for replacement is that the crush washers on the plugs are only meant to be used once, the stock plugs are only $2 to $3 each and replacing them is easy since they have already be removed to be checked. Plus it's just "cheap" preventive maintenance.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I got the Yamaha Oil Change Kit from Partzilla.com for $37 each plus $8 shipping for two kits. You may have another $20 in spark plugs if you chose to change them. (Last time I ordered them from Amazon it was $45 for 12.)

Even with the purchase of all the items you need to do the maintenance, on a single engine boat I can't see it being over $200 and a max of two hours of your time. You'll also have a much better feel for your boat and how it's put together. I hate the idea of paying a dealer 4x the cost of parts to do something so simple.

My write up includes all the things I had to buy for the first time.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/i-need-a-mechanical-mentor.7655/#post-132624

Davidrbjr

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Is the oil change kit the right size and amount for the fsh 190?
and the spark plugs the same?
I cant find a manual online for the fsh 190

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just change the oil and filters, squirt around 1 oz of grease into the bearing housing and check everything as per owners manual.
I decided to do all my servicing from now on since my dealer quoted me nearly $900 :eek:, as mentioned oil kits can be bought for $45, a decent sml grease gun minimal and a good oil pump sub $100.
As quoted from owners manual, "can I do my own servicing" "yes, as long as your a qualified mechanic" qualified??? Bit of a grey area.

My advice is use genuine Yamaha parts, keep the proof of purchase and log the date of service with a possible tick list of checks.

Last edited:

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Wow $800 I would not have that dealer do anything on my boat if they charged that much for the 10hr service my dealer quoted me at $195. I went ahead and ordered the Mightvac 7400 which is a little more than some of the other oil pumps but I will use this on my VW Jetta as well. Read through the manual and it does recommend having the dealer do the 10 hr service and I will probably take mine in and have them just do a brief check to make sure I did not miss anything. I am guessing they suggest this just in case something major is wrong but I have worked on enough engines I will be able to tell. I already own a grease gun since I have 4 trailers that require hub greasing as well. So ordered some marine grease so I can do my hubs and drive shaft. Will make sure and check my oil for any major issues and stopping by dealer to get the oil change kit which was around $43 so I figure buying it online with shipping is about the same price.

Billy Marlin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
@Britboater I put in about 20 pumps figuring that would be enough but I saw on your post you put in a quart? Did not want to over fill the thing but if your saying a quart I might need to add some more.

The service was super easy and anyone charging more than $200 is robbing their customers. We are talking maybe 2 to 3 hours of labor unless you find an issue with the oil or spark plugs.

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Britboater I put in about 20 pumps figuring that would be enough but I saw on your post you put in a quart? Did not want to over fill the thing but if your saying a quart I might need to add some more.

The service was super easy and anyone charging more than $200 is robbing their customers. We are talking maybe 2 to 3 hours of labor unless you find an issue with the oil or spark plugs.
No, defiantly not a quart, my bad, sorry, I noticed in my manual it stated 1.11 to 1.18 oz, with my tube of grease being 3oz I pumped in around a third of the tube, which at first, like you I only put 25 pumps in but I then pumped the same amount onto a rag and it wasn't that much at all. Please note though, my grease gun is a compact type that accepts a 3oz tube.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Paul N

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Britboaters got the same bible i do. Not only does it make for good reading but as another poster implied....it helps you know more about das boot....