• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

i need a mechanical mentor

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
so...i'm pretty handy but have no experience in doing the general maintenance on our 2014 212x. i had to eat the $300 oil change recently and don't want to pay for the next one. would anyone that is super handy be willing to go through the general maintenance in person. i'm in the portand area but will be willing to travel to get the up close and personal help. i've got the newer HO engines so would appreciate if my mentor would have the same. i realize there is the help section in this forum but really would like to see everything in person.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
ps....a tropical location in the middle of the northwest rain would be a plus :D

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@bobbie if you want to escape to Bama this winter I'll be doing the annual maintenance on my 242. If you're lucky I'll even throw in a little (lot) of gel coat repair! :eek:

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bill D I've never been to alabama before! when were you planning on your maintenance? i'm always up for a travel adventure!

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don't really have a date in mind. Just sometime when it's not so hot and humid! We always welcome fellow jetboaters to come visit, but unless you were set on coming to Alabama, the maintenance needed by our boats is so simple I think you would be disappointed in making a trip for an hour worth of work. But as long as the weather is nice, we'll get you out on the water. :D

There are some very good write ups on here, but here's the skinny version. I think the first time it cost me around $300 to buy all the stuff, but I expect my next set of maintenance to be less than $100. The biggest initial purchase is the evacuator.

Standard Maintenance Items
  • Oil Change
  • Spark Plug Inspection / Change
  • Lubrication
Things you'll need
  • Vacuum pump (this is the one I have).
  • Oil, filters and a funnel. I bought two of the Yamaha oil change kits from Partzilla (mostly because it was so easy to buy the whole kit)
  • You'll also need a grease gun and marine grease. There are several opinions on exactly what type of grease, but any marine grease should be ok.
  • Spark plugs. I bought these. Some folks have opted for more expensive Iridium plugs. That's what I originally changed mine out for, however I don't think they're worth the money. It seems everyone's "go-to" fix is to change plugs when something acts funny. For about $30 per engine, it's easy enough to swap the plugs regularly.
  • Spark Plug Socket. I'm pretty sure (like 95%) it's a 5/8". You'll need a ratchet and extension too if you don't have one. You can buy a decent set pretty cheap from Lowes or something too.
  • Anti-Seize to put on the threads of the new spark plugs. Again, there is some debate to this, but everyone I know does it.
  • Oil filter wrench - You can buy one of these, or if you have a big pair of tongue-and-groove pliers, that'll work too. Just be careful not to squeeze too hard.
  • Puppy pee pads (You'll want these to put in the bottom of the engine compartment when you pull the oil filters.
Oil Change
The worst part of the oil change is having patience for the evacuator to do its thing. You'll want the boat close to level for the oil change. If you don't have a level spot, it seems slightly tilted forward lets you get more oil out. Regardless of how level you think the boat is, check the oil level after your next run and be prepared to top it off on the water.

Start by running the engine, one at a time, on the hose. Run for about 5 minutes or so to heat up the oil. (If you haven't run on the hose before, it's engine on, water on, water off, engine off.) Once the oil is warm, pull the dipstick and stick the pump hose in until you feel resistance. It goes in a pretty good amount. Then pump the handle on the evacuator until you see the oil start to siphon out. Now go get a beer or two, because this takes a while. If I had to guess, 15 minutes for each engine wouldn't be out of the question. While evacuating one engine, you can be warming up the other. But the noise will make your beer less enjoyable. After all the oil is sucked out, note the amount you removed. This will be the amount you put back in. You don't want to put in too much for risk of damaging the air filters (which are like $100 each!). Take the cap off the top of the engine and put down your puppy pee pad, it's time to remove the filter. The filter will still be full of oil and it will leak out, so don't worry. Use the filter wrench or pliers to unscrew the old filter and have a bucket or something handy to put it in. Take the new filter and rub oil on the new gasket to lube it up. Seat the gasket on the filter and screw it on. I only hand-tighten the new filter as tightly as I can. You can use the wrench, but be careful not to damage the filter. (It doesn't have to be super tight) Now, add enough oil to match what you pulled out and a little extra to account for the oil that was in the old filter. Repeat the process for the other engine.

Spark Plugs
The spark plugs sound scary to a lot of people, but it really is one of the easiest parts. Just start by removing the black cover on top of the engine. There are 2 phillips head screws that hold it on. Just flop it over out of the way. There will be 4 square black things underneath. Each one is held by 2 screws (I believe they are 5/16", but they could be 3/8") Remove the screws and pull the whole thing out. I don't even disconnect the wires, you'll be able to remove it and hang it out of the way while attached. Now you'll be able to access the spark plug. Use your spark plug socket and extension to remove the old plugs. Just be careful not to wrench too crazy hard on the old ones. If they are stuck you want to break it loose, not break it off. Remove the plugs, and replace. Before putting the new ones in, put a good coating of anti-seize on the threads of the spark plug. Replace the black square tube things and then the cover and you're done!

Grease
I'm not 100% sure about this part on your boat. You will either have a black hose going to the back of the engine compartment to grease the bearings or you will have a fitting on top of the bearing assembly. Either way, the grease is just there to protect the seal, not the bearing. If you have the hose, give a couple squeezes until it feels hard, if you don't, try to get a squirt in the zerk and be on your way.
I also put a little grease around the ends of the steering and reverse gate cables. There should be little black boots where the cables open to the water. Move those and rub some grease in there. In this case, the grease is there to act as a water barrier, not a lubricant. Some guys lube the whole cable and have done good write ups on that process. I haven't had any trouble with mine, and have never tried to lube the entire cable, so I can't speak to that process.
Some guys have recommended going farther with inspection / greasing, but this is my first year with the boat so I haven't done that yet. I will likely try to remove the cones and inspect / grease the bearing this winter.

Well, that wasn't so skinny after all, but I promise the majority of the work is very very easy. Like I say, you're always welcome to come see it live. I'll probably look to do everything before the beginning of next year. Sometime in early March or so.

I'm sure I missed something in this summation, but I know others will jump in and help me out.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I may change my oil and possibly replace my spark plugs soon. If I do I will try and put together a video of for you. I don't think it would be worth the time to visit Neal to see the work done in person.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@bobbie, possibly someone would be willing to do a short video of each process (oil change, spark plugs & lubrication) It would not need to be the entire process but just 20 seconds on draining the oil, 20 seconds on changing the oil filter, 20 seconds on removal/replace and anti seize the spark plugs and so on. The video could be augmented with a write up. This would be the next best thing to being there and would greatly help others.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Bill D So i can fly for free on airline miles....so maybe a winter trip would work out awesome. great write-up by the way...but i would really like to see the in person version! just keep me posted on your schedule and give me a month or two leeway to snag the mileage seats on the airline! feel free to pm me when the time comes

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There are videos linked in the FAQ. But there is nothing like seeing someone do it in person. Oil change is no brainer....plugs...slightly trickier....#3 still gives me concens everytime I remove it....lubing...a breeze

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We really need an oil change quick parts list reference for each type of engine. I out shopping and was going to pick up oil, and don't recall how much oil the 1.8's needs.....and I couldn't find it in the FAQ (the filter info for the 1.8 is there!).

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The 1.8’s call for 4 qts. I have never put that much in... it’s always been closer to 3.5 for me.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have always needed 1 gallon for each of my 1.8s and @ENC boater 14 ar240 as well. Never a drop left over.
The manual calls for 4 qts each with filter change

John Mcpartland

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I already changed the oil, but I haven't dewinterized yet. Not sure when we will be able to around here.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I recently changed mine a few weeks ago and I was actually able to pull out near a full 4 qts I put in last year. It took forever to pump it all out manually. 2 beers worth as that is what I measure oil change time by. If you warm up the engine and then lower the trailer down I think it helps allow the oil to move down where the hose would be inside the dip stick tube. I have a manual pump so it requires lots of pumping to fight past the air once the oil is nearly gone from the oil pan. If you have an electric pump then it's real simple. After I get it all out I then raise the trailer back up until it's level using a level on the top of the valve cover and then add oil. I added 3.5 qts, ran the engine for a few minutes and then checked the oil level again. It showed a little low so I topped it off with the remaining .5 qts and it's just below the top level mark. My guess is the manual assumes most people aren't going to usually extract every single ounce of old oil by lowering the trailer and all that so they account for that on the refill.

I buy my oil change kits from partszilla as they have the lowest prices and their hub is in Atlanta so it only takes a day or two to get to me.