• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

10 hr service

Par190sx

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any need to do the 10 hr service? Thinking of waiting till end of the boating season. Thoughts?

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I waited until the end of the season. My dealer also said doing the 10hr wasn't absolutely critical to do it right at 10hrs. How many hrs are you going to go over?

Par190sx

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I waited until the end of the season. My dealer also said doing the 10hr wasn't absolutely critical to do it right at 10hrs. How many hrs are you going to go over?
The hours may got 20 or 30. I have had 2 weeks. Taken it out 3 days and have right at 10 hrs now

Rigger

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Why wait? I can't think of any really good reason not to do what the manufacturer recommends, especially at that critical first 10hr service. Me personally, it would've driven me nuts knowing I'm running past that first 10hrs or so...but that's just me. Treat it right and it'll treat you right for many seasons to come.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Have any idea WHY they specify 10 (TEN) hours, for the first & initial oil change ?

They cannot be certain they get each engine block sparkling clean during assembly !

This way, the oil has helped "collect" all of the left-over material from machining of the block.
And subsequently, you get this "gunk out" before it can do any real damage.

Thought y'all might care to know this ~!
This is WHY it's necessary to also change the oil filter during the first oil change.

Best Wishes to all, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Last edited:

Noko

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The hours may got 20 or 30. I have had 2 weeks. Taken it out 3 days and have right at 10 hrs now
I think I'd go as @Rigger said. I could see going over a couple hours but not 10-20. Buy the oil suction pump and its easy to change the oil. Do the filters too as has been suggested. I agree, get the gunk out.

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I agree with Uncle Mikey and Noko, do the 10 hr. Pay a dealer or do it yourself. It's not hard to do and you have a single engine boat which won't take long at all.
Think of all the metal shavings and other debris in the initial oil. Now imagine your shiny, new 1.8 liter miracle of marine engineering having to be replaced. Now go change the oil.
Plus doing the service yourself and lubricating all the pivot points and cables etc will really get you familiar with how the jet nozzle functions.