• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

15 minute Connext reset

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
A couple of weekends ago I had a situation that under another circumstance, could have been catastrophic. I started my boat and an instant ECU error came up and the boat would not move. I left battery switches off for 5 minutes two separate times, but not until I left battery switches off for a full 15 minutes would the error go away and let me move. Connext was showing Port engine in reverse(not sure why engine would start like that except throttle was in neutral). Back to the reason for this post, I boat 90% of the time in waters shared with large cargo ships, barges and ferries. What could I do if this happened in the path of one of these large vessels and I'm stuck for 15 minutes waiting on a Connext reset. This is my question " what other options are there"? Nothing was mechanically wrong with the boat--- only glitch with Connext.

Jeel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dont have an answer for you but that really sucks ....

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm not sure that powering off longer or shorter makes a difference typically when something is powered off capacitors in a circuit hold some residual power but not longer than a minute . It could be some type of bad connection either internally on the circuit board or in the wiring . Hopefully you find the gremlin

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Can you give more details about when this happened it could be that something lodged in the gate that directs the water . That makes sense of why it showed reverse on the error , when you power up the boat the gates cycle something could have lodged in it . How this happens if you end up in shallow water and shift into reverse the gate water is directed down blowing small rocks and debri off the sea or lake floor these items get temporarily suspended in the water and settle down in between the gate and jet nozzle jamming it . When you power up the e throttle cycles the gate and if it doesn’t make it through the full motion it throws a code.

Pro Build

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Can you give more details about when this happened it could be that something lodged in the gate that directs the water . That makes sense of why it showed reverse on the error , when you power up the boat the gates cycle something could have lodged in it . How this happens if you end up in shallow water and shift into reverse the gate water is directed down blowing small rocks and debri off the sea or lake floor these items get temporarily suspended in the water and settle down in between the gate and jet nozzle jamming it . When you power up the e throttle cycles the gate and if it doesn’t make it through the full motion it throws a code.
You are right on as to what probably set off the error. We had been anchored for about 4 hours in shallow water with battery switches off. When ready to go, turned battery switches on and alarm error came on when connext booted up. I checked gates and both were in exact same neutral position, so I went ahead and started both engines hoping the error would go away once I went to forward. The engines would not increase rpms nor would the gates move up or down. I shut everything off including battery switches for five minutes two separate times with no change. It was not until I left battery switches off for 17 minutes that it booted up without the error and allowed us to go home. I'm okay with the errors, but not okay with having to wait so long the the reboot/reset. A lot could go wrong in fifteen minutes.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
As these boats age the shift cables will corrode and create resistance or in your case have things lodge in the gates . The way to test or possibly knock loose debri that is lodged is to reach in the black box located in the storage compartment and flip the levers this releases the cables and you can manually move the gate by hand. As part of winterization I release them so that I can move the gates every few weeks along with the steering to keep them from freezing up.