• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

'17 212X Steering is very stiff

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Took my '17 212X to the lake for the 1st time for the '18 boating season. As soon as I splashed the boat in the water, I noticed the steering was very stiff. It took both hands to turn the wheel!

When I got home at the end of the day, I inspected the system and didn't find anything wrong. I smeared grease on the steering system, which helps some, but still not to the ease I had all last season. Are there zerks on the steering system or do you only smear the grease on the cables around the jet nozzles?

What else can I do here?

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had the same issue with my 17’ AR240 last month. Had to replace the steering cable. It was covered under the warranty but it took 3 weeks to get the work “done”.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Crap. I don't get why this would happen after 1 season. Hopefully this is a fluke. I'll talk to my dealer. I also have a leak that needs to be diagnosed and fixed that I'm calling them about. Working up a laundry list now.. SMH

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Did it feel tight when off the water? Mine felt tight but I think it was due to winds. It felt fine in no wake and when on the trailer.

ThatJeepGuy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mine was stiff at the beginning of the day but as time went on it got tighter and tighter. And by the end of the day it was damn near impossible to turn, in the water or on the trailer.My dealer said it probably wouldn’t be covered. It took Yamaha’s warranty department over two weeks just to approve the work.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you should disconnect it at the nozzle and see if the nozzles or wheel move freely help troubleshoot it. Disconnecting only takes 2 minutes.

Then I would check the linkage behind the helm.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
It was stiff under all circumstances - in/out of water; fast or slow; etc....

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did your tie rod look abnormal? Can you disconnect it and then try to manually turn each nozzle to see if it helps isolate one or both with an issue?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you should disconnect it at the nozzle and see if the nozzles or wheel move freely help troubleshoot it.
Always start there, especially with the new AK boats.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Is it possible to pull the seal back on the push rods that turn the nozzles so I can squirt some grease up there around the cables?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If your cables are that frozen after one year you need to get them replaced,

I'm guessing something is caught/kinked/lodged causing your issue,

Did you do any mods or add anything to your boat that might have pinched the cables somewhere along the run?

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
If your cables are that frozen after one year you need to get them replaced. I'm guessing something is caught/kinked/lodged causing your issue. Did you do any mods or add anything to your boat that might have pinched the cables somewhere along the run?
I tightened down all the hose clamps in the back hatch with the cleanout ports. You have me wondering now if I tightened those down and it's crimping the wire inside the hose. My cables don't run through the engine compartment, so only place you can see them are immediately behind the dash as they run into the starboard gunnel and then I believe they're inside the cleanout port hatch in the back. I don't remember tightening down a clamp on a hose that small though. I'll have to check.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Also take a good look at your rudder and make sure it is not cracked and binding.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I do a check always and grab the nozzles and move them by hand back and forth. If they aren't free I know I have a problem

Papa Erp

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The steering on my AR210 will also get stiff on occasion. Seems to happen after a hard turn under heavy throttle. It will stay stiff until I stop the engines. Then steering is normal again. Makes no sense. These boats definitely have a unique "personality".