• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

'18 AR195 hard start after sitting a few hours

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So here Is what I found out and it makes so much sense. I’m running a single battery and before leaving for the lake we had run a 12 Volt vacuum off the boat. Had no problem starting the boat before hitting the ramp. While on the lake we slowly made are way over to a spot and shut down the motor. We then did a quick high speed run to a different location. Once again shutting down the engine this time for about 2hrs. We had the radio on quietly. Go to try and start the boat and it would crank but not fire. According my Yamaha mechanic my Yamaha will not allow an ignition to occur unless there is enough battery power. The engine will crank but not fire. The fix is to run a separate battery for the stereo etc.. My issue is not vapor lock etc just low voltage. Today I ran it longer and also ran the blower.. Everything is now great again..

Did you add a 2nd battery?

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
For me I usually will see it on the first start of the day, so definitely not battery related. Still rare though. Usually will fire on the second start when it happens.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For me I usually will see it on the first start of the day, so definitely not battery related. Still rare though. Usually will fire on the second start when it happens.
That is not normal.
Albeit I have no first hand/owner experience with supercharged 1.8s. So maybe it is normal. But I doubt it.

Tayhadasuperjet

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had this issue a couple of times and figured out the issue. The first time it happened when I shifted to neutral the No-Wake mode did not auto shut off. So engine revs were a bit higher when it shut off. Letting it idle in absolute neutral for a few seconds should take care of it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had this issue a couple of times and figured out the issue. The first time it happened when I shifted to neutral the No-Wake mode did not auto shut off. So engine revs were a bit higher when it shut off. Letting it idle in absolute neutral for a few seconds should take care of it.
That's a good point, albeit moving throttle binnacles to "neutral" does not shut-off the "no wake" mode, in fact the boat should stay in no wake (1,2 or 3) while the throttles are moved back and forth from neutral to between second indent forward and the reverse (only one indent). They may be slightly more difficult to operate especially in third no wake due to water pressure pushing on reverse buckets.

I find that keeping the blower running between hard runs helps the most with restarts, along with running for a few seconds in high idle to cool off and turning the engines off with the throttle in idle and dead-on neutral.

BTW - anyone replaced those horrible OEM blowers in a 2015+ 240/242? I want to know!

--

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you've been sitting a while try to prime the fuel line before starting by moving the ignition to electric mode for a few seconds...repeat several times and then try a full start. This should pressurize the fuel line....

I suspect on some of the boats the fuel pump misbehaves...or rather valve.

If the boat has been sitting a while it's not uncommon for the fuel lines to become depressurized...and causing a hard start because it takes a while for the fuel line and pressure to normalize.

I haven't experienced the vapor lock...so can't comment there.