• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

'19 242X Battery Drain/ connex wont turn on without engines running

ClockedOut242x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hello all. I pulled my boat out of storage today to get it ready for this weekend, I went to turn the boat on and the connect screen yamaha logo popped up flickered and slowly went away and I couldn't get the screen to come on nor did the blower turn on. So I tried starting the motors with no screen and they fired right up then the screen came on as well. Both batteries showed 13.1 to 12.9 volts but once I turned off the engines within 30 seconds both batteries drained below 12 volts and the screen turned off. The problem I'm having is the batteries were on a trickle charger all winter then I put them in the boat a couple months ago and took the boat for a ride and it road great, no problems. I added a noco 3 bank charger a month ago and since then I haven't touched it till today. All of the hookups looked okay? What can cause the batteries to go down in voltage that quickly to the point where the screen shuts off and won't turn back on. Only thing I can do is start the engines to get the screen on then it dies on me. Do you think that charger burnt my batteries up? It's a smart charger and wasn't throwing any errors so I'm at a loss for what to do.

Quad

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does your boat have multiple positive leads on the House battery? You may try disconnecting any extras beyond the one that goes directly to the house switch. (On my 242SE, there is a separate lead for the Wetsounds amp at the helm.)

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey man, glad you made it here. Much better place to get answers rather than facebook. Sorry I hijacked your thread arguing with the other dude. Just to clarify. The batteries die on you after turning on? Everything goes dark? Or is it just the engine sputtering out?

When the boat turns on it will also turn on the blowers. This draws quite a bit of power from the batteries (not sure which one), so this may be another thing to consider. Maybe turn on the boat with the hatch open, and don't let the blowers kick in?

ClockedOut242x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Hey man, glad you made it here. Much better place to get answers rather than facebook. Sorry I hijacked your thread arguing with the other dude. Just to clarify. The batteries die on you after turning on? Everything goes dark? Or is it just the engine sputtering out?

When the boat turns on it will also turn on the blowers. This draws quite a bit of power from the batteries (not sure which one), so this may be another thing to consider. Maybe turn on the boat with the hatch open, and don't let the blowers kick in?
So I turned the batteries on to turn the stereo on and the welcome yamaha sign popped up and flickered then went dark. I didn't hear the blower or anything. I was like weird so I figured I'd start up a engine and see what happens. Engine fired right up with blank screen then once the engine was on the screen turned on along with blower and everything worked fine. Volts read 12.9-13.1. I Killed the engine and volts dramatically dropped to 12 then the screen turned off (assuming it was below the needed power). I'm thinking my batteries got fried from the charger because before I installed that everything worked great. What's weird is the engines fired right up so maybe it's just the house battery that's bad? Going to pull them and take them to autozone to test. My fear is if I buy 2 new batteries and fry them

ClockedOut242x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

I haven't added anything it's stock only thing I added was the noco on board charger. I bought a 3 bank because I want to add a third battery. So the third bank is turned off and the other 2 banks are hooked to the 2 batteries directly.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Did they fix the voltage read out for the house and start batteries the 2016 -2017 had both gauges reading one battery they appeared as different voltages one would read 12.7 the other would read 12.5 this was due to voltage drop in the wiring . After some probing one of the factory pins needed to be relocated to show the correct read out .

ClockedOut242x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm not sure about that. Mine is a 19 and one battery was reading 13.1 and the other 12.9

Mike Clark

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If the wiring to your batteries are correct, the Connext runs off the house battery. I had an issue with my Perko switch last year, although I thought it was a battery issue, the switch for the house battery was not latching on. The Connext screen would not come on, but boat would fire right up.

Turn on the parallel switch and the house battery switch, but turn off the main battery switch. If the motors do not start, it is the switch for the house battery.

This does not explain the sudden battery drop though?

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Try swapping the batteries to see what they read . I'm not a fan of trickle chargers being left on for months.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Both batteries showed 13.1 to 12.9 volts but once I turned off the engines within 30 seconds both batteries drained below 12 volts and the screen turned off.
That right there tells you the batteries do not appear to be holding charge, below 12 volts is dead; albeit you would really want to check it using a multimeter, not Yamaha built-in voltmeters, as they have been known to have wiring issues, as mentioned.

The thing is, the Connext and the ECU in these boats are very sensitive to voltage drop and they can start throwing codes at low voltage; the motors will still often start as they are easy to crank.

Taking the batteries to a place that can check them is probably what I would do.

I know very little about electric systems compared to some guys here, just chiming in to try to help.

ClockedOut242x

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The house battery was the culprit. The start battery was good. I feel alot better that only 1 battery was shot and not both and it not being the charger that did it, just a cheap battery gone bad. I went ahead and bought 2 house batteries and wired them in parallel. So every battery has its own bank on the charger. Thanks all!