• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

190/192 series bow heavy?

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I am really curious if anyone else feels like their 190/192 seems like it is naturally bow heavy? With an empty boat and a full tank of gas my boat likes to settle back into the water bow first when coming down from plane. When in semi choppy conditions I try to keep people out of the bow because it makes it 10 times worse. I would think it should be pretty even since the engine, gas tank, and my body are in the rear 2/3's of the boat. Maybe most boats are this way I don't know. This is my first boat, and I have really only driven an old Glastron-Carlson ski boat (big outboard) and a pontoon other than my AR192. I'm not complaining as much as I am just curious.

DBamaC

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I didn't really notice that. Of course, I cut my teeth on in-boards so maybe that's why it doesn't seem odd. If you are used to outboards remember that with the engine sitting behind the transom, the weight distribution is rather extreme. To me, when in outboards (and stern drives) I always feel like I'm looking at the sky!

skbishop90

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Ive noticed the same thing. You have to think of the sheer weight of the engine/transom/stern drive on I/O boats. The engine is iron, transom is reinforced more and the stern drive are heavy. I would be willing to throw a number at it and guess that even a 3.0 Merc with stern drive is 500-600lbs heavier than our little aluminum motor with no stern drive or crazy reinforced transom. When I saw the weight of these boats during my purchase, I joked with my salesman saying "I'll just sell my Tahoe and get a Civic with a trailer hitch". They weight a fraction of my previous boats.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I feel the same. When my 4&5 yr olds are up front and then all of my 100# wife goes up there the boat sinks...LOL I keep everyone in the back for docking especially.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
You can play with the ride plate to get the nose up some. I added 4 washers in the front and 2 in the back and resealed it. It carries the nose quite a bit higher. It's a little too high for me. I'm going to go to 2 washers in front and 1 in back.

Eurocat

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Takes a little to get used to it, specially coming off of plane. It's not really a problem unless you are in rough chop, then you have to work the throttle to keep nose up.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You can play with the ride plate to get the nose up some. I added 4 washers in the front and 2 in the back and resealed it. It carries the nose quite a bit higher. It's a little too high for me. I'm going to go to 2 washers in front and 1 in back.
Can you explain a little further? Photos maybe? I'm a noob and don't understand, but this sounds interesting.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
The ride plate is directly under the jet pump. Add some washers between the plate and the hull then silicone it up. Do a Google search and do some reading on ride plate angle. There's a lot of info about ride plates on the hotrod jet boats.

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Other than changing the bow height, did you notice any performance changes with the washers?

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
It feels less planted in the water. Slides around a little more. It rides really nice in heavy chop but it smacks large wakes harder than before.

I did see my highest speed with this setup, but I haven't seen it again (51 mph gps) . At speeds higher than we can run (60mph +) it would make a much bigger difference.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Wonder what a 2 deg pump wedge would do? Anyone try that?
I dont think you would gain much speed with these boats. I played around with the ride plate (adding washers), was as waste of time.
@dan144k has done it, the other way, for surfing. He may have an opinion.
I would also be interested in @WFO Performance take on this.

--

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wonder what a 2 deg pump wedge would do? Anyone try that?
I didn't even know what that was until I googled it. Seems logical enough that it would. If I ever replace my impeller I may give that a try. I'm tempted to try the ride plate adjustment, but I'm not sure that it bothers me enough to put the effort in.

Here's a picture of Riva's pump wedge for people who are unfamiliar with them like I was:
Riva Pump Wedge.jpg

Last edited:

SCSX190

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I noticed the same thing. I'm in a wet slip and hang on the boat a couple times a week to charge the battery and run the bilge pump. When there is water build up I need to stand on the swim platform to tilt the boat towards the rear so the water drains out. Otherwise the water naturally sits forward away from the bilge area and doesn't get pumped out.

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My experience with the 190 is very different. I found with a group of passengers that I need to move one passenger up into the bow so that the boat Cuts better through rough water. Always felt that the bow was on the light side as it slams through the chop and considering getting trimtabs to correct the problem and push the bow down

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've always thought the bow was heavy or at least dipped low enough for me to notice when coming off plane. Always made me a little nervous in rough water. I might look at the pump wedge.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've taken waves over the bow coming out of no wake zones when cruisers come barreling in because I couldn't get up on plane fast enough. I did have two buddies in the front once though. That was my own mistake. There is a reason beyond good decoration why only ladies belong in the bow and fat dudes in the back.

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Many years ago I took water over the bow in a 19 foot Searay with a Mercruiser V6 I/O. I was also moving in a no wake zone with passengers upfront while crossing a large wake. This is in no way a Yamaha specific issue. Next time punch the throttle momentarily while crossing the wake to raise the bow, or move your passengers.