• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

190 vs 195 sound / engine noise

Kdkns

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well I unfortunately had to cancel my 2021 ar195 order a few months ago but had them transfer me to a possible 2022 as my finances weren’t ready then.

Since then 2022 boat prices have gone up a lot and I’m reconsidering what I should buy and my use.

One of my biggest worries is how loud the 190 is vs 195 which is known to be quieter. I don’t have anyone around me that I know to test either boats so I’m looking for opinions.

I may carry a full boat load sometimes but most of the time I’m using the boat to get to scenic spots and swim , sit in shade , and maybe do some towing. I’ve not ruled out the AR for bench seats / tower but I know the Yamaha will never be a proper wake boat but the tower can still help a lot. It would be for friends but not really for me. I’m not a fan of taxing friends up and down the river as much.

Some alternative boats I’m looking at are the Glastron 195 , bay liner vr4/5 , or regal runabouts. I believe some of those may be outside my tow limit but I feel if I’m hitting near $48k for a boat I may look and just spend a bit more to get a nicer one and trade out to a truck

Buy a nice used one. Save about 10-15k and usually already have all the kinks worked out

Buy a nice used one. Save about 10-15k and usually already have all the kinks worked out
I’d love to but I can’t find any used ones in any state. I found one 2019 going for the same MSRP as a 2022 with 200 hours. :/

I’d love to but I can’t find any used ones in any state. I found one 2019 going for the same MSRP as a 2022 with 200 hours. :/
Used boats are becoming more available, just wait for the right deal. I have seen a few sell on here for mid thirties with under 50hours. 45K+ for a 19 foot boat is ridiculous in my opinion

MSRP is misleading on new models because you can't buy one for that price. Unlike a car, dealers are adding fees on top of MSRP of 10-20%.

Well I unfortunately had to cancel my 2021 ar195 order a few months ago but had them transfer me to a possible 2022 as my finances weren’t ready then.

Since then 2022 boat prices have gone up a lot and I’m reconsidering what I should buy and my use.

One of my biggest worries is how loud the 190 is vs 195 which is known to be quieter. I don’t have anyone around me that I know to test either boats so I’m looking for opinions.

I may carry a full boat load sometimes but most of the time I’m using the boat to get to scenic spots and swim , sit in shade , and maybe do some towing. I’ve not ruled out the AR for bench seats / tower but I know the Yamaha will never be a proper wake boat but the tower can still help a lot. It would be for friends but not really for me. I’m not a fan of taxing friends up and down the river as much.

I went with the AR195 over AR190 with the sound actually being one of the biggest factors, although after I have it the extra power is also much appreciated. I use the extra power a lot more than I thought I would, especially when pulling a heavier tube with 3 people. Being able to cruise and have a reasonable conversation at 5mph in no wake mode was important to me.

Did you also test drive or hear a 190 in comparison? Though it’s good to know the 195 is quite though so thank you

I had a SX195 and have a friend with a 190... I didn't put a decibel meter on them, but there isn't a huge difference in how loud the engines are... Jet boats are notoriously loud, if sound is a concern for you I would suggest looking at a boat that has a Yamaha or Suzuki outboard motor because those are some quiet motors.... If you want to stick with a Jet boat for other reasons, just do what most of us do and upgrade the stereo system to drown out the engine noise!:winkingthumbsup"

Why would the 195 be considerably quicker then the 190? More noise damping foam.

My understanding is because it runs at slightly lower rpms for the same output needed , but could be wrong. I don’t think the insulation is much different

Did you also test drive or hear a 190 in comparison? Though it’s good to know the 195 is quite though so thank you

Yeah, I had a neighbor with 190. If you go on boattest they show the db at different RPM. When you really get on it they all get loud, but at no wake speeds because bigger impeller and more powerful engine it can go at a lower RPM for the same thrust.

What state? May be see who is in your area with Member Map. I have a sx190....

You can't have conversation at 7600rpm
With no wake on is okay.

Get on throttle at 3000 rpm and you'll have to talk over engine rev'ing

Have you looked at boattest.com?
Here's their review of the 2020- 195 with speeds and dB results in the chart: Yamaha 195S (2020-) | BoatTEST
And here's the 2019- 190: Yamaha AR190 (2019-) | BoatTEST
(You may have to get a free account to see the results - I don't remember which are blocked and which aren't.)
Yeah - there's a HUGE (and surprising) difference between the 195 and 190 at WOT! 98dB forget conversation! The 195 at 86db is what, less than half as loud if I remember how dB works correctly? Wow.

What state? May be see who is in your area with Member Map. I have a sx190....

You can't have conversation at 7600rpm
With no wake on is okay.

Get on throttle at 3000 rpm and you'll have to talk over engine rev'ing

I’m in Texas so I’m sure there will be something that shows up. As it’s my first boat I’d like something still within warranty.

Have you looked at boattest.com?
Here's their review of the 2020- 195 with speeds and dB results in the chart: Yamaha 195S (2020-) | BoatTEST
And here's the 2019- 190: Yamaha AR190 (2019-) | BoatTEST
(You may have to get a free account to see the results - I don't remember which are blocked and which aren't.)
Yeah - there's a HUGE (and surprising) difference between the 195 and 190 at WOT! 98dB forget conversation! The 195 at 86db is what, less than half as loud if I remember how dB works correctly? Wow.

yah I’ve seen it but wasn’t clear on where they measured from. I agree that DB range is quite significant.

I had thought that I read on one of the archived threads that some folks questioned if there really was a 10dB difference between the two boats?

Jim

yah I’ve seen it but wasn’t clear on where they measured from. I agree that DB range is quite significant.
I think it's at the helm? Either way... yikes.

Back