• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

192 use a 190 6CW impeller at altitude?

Btown801

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I just picked up a 2013 AR192 and it has a dinged impeller. The 192 uses a 6ER impeller. Would using an OEM 6CW impeller in Utah be a good idea to adjust for altitude?

Btown801

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@swatski I have read tons of your posts. I think you've posted more about impellers than anyone. Do you have any thoughts on this?

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
@swatski I have read tons of your posts. I think you've posted more about impellers than anyone. Do you have any thoughts on this?
I would say no to the 6CW, it would be too low pitched. Go with the stock impeller and repitch if needed.

Last edited:

Btown801

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@SamCF reason I ask is one of the local shops says that they recommend it to deal with the altitude here. You obviously have some street credit in this department. Still use the stock 6ER at altitude here in Utah? My thought is that I would be at a loss for power maybe down to a NA boat and that is their reasoning? But I don't know how much the supercharger helps with the altitude.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am using a pair of altitude pitched 6CW impellers on my AR240 here in Utah. It was a huge improvement over the stock 6AP I think were on there. Improved holeshot, better mid range response and acceleration, higher top RPM, higher top speed, less cavitation when ballasted, even improved high speed maneuverability. From the information I've gathered here and thru talking with Glen at Impros, who I ended up purchasing from, they have more overlap than any of the other OEM or aftermarket impeller options fir a 155mm Yamaha. Of course we're comparing AR240 to AR192. I don't know how the overall pitch compares between the 6CW, 6ER, and 6AP and it's relevance as to what @SamCF had suggested. He's certainly one who knows plenty about mods for his 19' boat. All I know is that for me in my circumstances, it was the best overall perfomance mod I have done for my boat.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
The NA 190 boats have big cavitation problems with ANY added power. If your 192 at elevation is making any more power than a NA 190 at sea level it will have cavitation problems with the 6CW impeller. Small adjustments to the factory impeller can make a really big difference. There's a chance the 6CW will work, but any impeller that you use will probably need a repitch to get perfect. I would start with the factory impeller with a 2mm depitch.

Btown801

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
@SamCF Thanks for the information. I will grab a 6ER. I am not trying to do any top speed runs I just want a tow boat for watersports.

Btown801

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Sent the dinged impeller that came on my boat out to Glen at impros. He repaired it and pitched it for 5k elevation (Utah). Prior to this pitch change I was having trouble getting above 6500rpms and 35mph on Utah lake. Sadly I sold the boat before I got back in Utah lake. But the one time I ran it on deer Creek (5500ft El) I was hitting 7000rpms and 35mph. I consider the boats performance to be significantly better. Posting this for future knowledge.

Eobregon12

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the boating world and just got a Yamaha AR192 2014. at the moment I'm operating at a lake at about 6,400 feet above sea level and I'm having problems with the rpms and power. It only goes up to 6,000 rpm. What would you recommend? what impeller would fit best my needs?

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the boating world and just got a Yamaha AR192 2014. at the moment I'm operating at a lake at about 6,400 feet above sea level and I'm having problems with the rpms and power. It only goes up to 6,000 rpm. What would you recommend? what impeller would fit best my needs?
I would call Impros and ask for Glen. They will steer you in the right direction. I've never worked with them personally, but in all the interactions I've read about online with that guy, I've never seen a cross word typed about him. Gotta tell ya something right?

steve0617

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Use Vickery Motorsports in Parker CO. Call and talk to Randy the service adviser and then get Keith on the phone. He's a damn genius and has made jigs and the like to get the angles and bending just right.

Off the shelf, my 19 AR195 did about 6500rpms and about 32mph during the warm water summer months here in the SW Denver area. The very first day I launched it, it was March 2019 and the water was about 40* or so if I remember right. I did 40mph with the top stowed. Never seen it since.

I threw in the towel of hating my boat and got Keith to do me up an impeller. He buys a Skat Trak, has it shipped to him and then mods it. He swapped out my OEM impleller there at the dealer.

Took it out to Cherry Creek Reservoir later (5500' or so) and on 2 year old Stabil'd 91 octane gas (damn Covid), the top out, my wife and I, OEM spark plugs, probably a bit too much oil (right at full on the dipstick), an L3 cone, CJS fins and with a chop that wasn't minor, I did 7800RPMs and 41 mph. Right off the bat... I'm positive I'd do 45mph or so with changing some stuff. Caviation is still a little present but better than it was with the OEM impeller.

He transformed the boat.

Cost about $750 installed.

Others here on the board have had Keith do his thing and have had similar results.

SantaFeTrailer

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
After my continued frustration being unable to top 6000 RPM at our high mountain lakes, even with a Impros-modded impeller, I figured I'd give the 6CW a try on my 2013 AR 192. Here's our data with same load of 2 people, full tank, bimini down (but slightly different elevation lakes):

Storrrie Lake 6593 feet with 6ER
Upwind
29.9MPH at 5950RPM
0-20mph in 12.66s
Downwind
31.6MPH at 6000RPM
0-20mph in 10.58s

Abiquiu Lake 6200 feet with 6CW
Upwind
34.5 at 6950rpm
0-20mph in 11.30s
Downwind
35.8mph at 6900rpm
0-20mph in 9.88s

I have the Lucky 13, and did not experience any cavitation. YMMV, but I'm keeping this impeller in for a while and we'll see how it goes.

EDIT with some more data for anyone seeking to do this. I swapped the Lucky 13 back for the original to see if I could get a few more RPM. That combo has been working great for us at the 6200 foot lake. It's been a game changer to actually be able to whip the tube, etc. (except with 7 or 8 people onboard, in which case the boat becomes a barge - see my other post).

Took it to Ute Lake this past weekend, which is 3800 feet. With just two of us on onboard it was amazing. 7600 RPM, 42 MPH - just like this boat should be. With 6 of us and pulling a tube, we got cavitation. I think I'll try with the Lucky 13 next time.

We are headed to Havasu in a few weeks, so I will probably swap the 6ER back in for that.

As a side note, the boat started running really bad at one point. Surging, hesitating, not going more than 18 or so, then it cleared up. Maybe bad gas? Unfortunately we turned off the battery switch when we got off the lake and there were no codes when I hooked up the Candoo later. I did have a new set of plugs with me so I swapped those in, but the originals looked fine. Ran great the rest of the weekend.

Last edited: