• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

195 fsh sport or 210 fsh sport in salt water?

Joe_C

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I have a deposit on 195 fsh sport (since august). I will mostly be using on lakes but curious if anyone uses their fsh for running the intercoastal, sounds or short runs out to cape lookout etc... I find it strange that I don't see any yamaha fsh in the NC intercoastal or sounds. Not one.... Are the jet drives just not suited for the shallow water and they will suck up sand from the bottom?

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I use mine exclusively in the saltwater sounds of Georgia. Also, i have seen quite a few in our area. I understand that this is a relatively new concept to some, jet powered fishing boat, but i have yet to find any real disadvantages other than trolling. We frequently are going to sandbars during the summer. If you keep an eye on your depth and shut the motors down when you get close to shore you really don't have to worry about sand ingestion.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I, also, use my FSH 190 only in salt water around Savannah. I am often in shallow water, and 3+ years later I have had no problems. I also take my FSH to the near shore (5-7 miles off shore) artificial reefs. Another FSH 190 just came to my marina, and I believe there are around 5 jet boats in the racks.

dels

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
We have opted for the 210 FSH Sport ourselves. The main reason is that we want to bring friends and family on the boat, and be able to go offshore when the weather permits. Dual engine set up was better for that reason, along with more room, though we were super impressed with how big the 195 felt when we stepped on it at the dealership

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I use my FSH21 in salt water in the Keys. Works great for shallow water. No prop to hit. just keep moving and you don’t ingest sand, when u stay put it causes a vortex and sucks it up from the bottom.

Joe_C

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thank you all for the replies. I was considering the 210 myself but the 195 has more horsepower than the bigger 210. I like the dual engines but I read in a couple of places you can only run 5mph or slower on one engine if you have a failure. Can anyone confirm if that is true or not. Slow is better and safer than nothing and at least you can maintain steering and direction at that point instead of drifting.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I do not know how fast a 210 will run on one engine, but you can run as fast as that is if - you clamp off (plastic radiator hose clamps from auto parts store) or close self installed valves on the dead engine's cooling water intake. If you do not close off the cooling intake water, the water can fill the water box and eventually flow into the dead engine through its open exhaust valve. If you try to crank a flooded engine, it will damage it severely. Of course, you can remove the spark plugs, and then you can crank it until all of the water is expelled.

Last edited:

Dixemon

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I tried to plane on one engine awhile back, i think i was getting about 15mph or so. Not quite enough to get on plane, but definitely better than no engine. Im curious from the folks that are running Tabs if they have been able to get on plane on one engine.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Salt water can be choppy, so the 21 I think is a better choice.

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
FWIW, most FSH boats are going to have a trolling motor mounted on them. I know on my boat my trolling motor will: hold me in place for many hours against the current (Spot Lock) or drag me in against the current at about 3 mph (I am only off shore 5-7 miles). I certainly would call US Tow Boats (they would be on the scene in about 30 minutes), but I actually could make it to a marina 90%+ with just my trolling motor.

Joe_C

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
does anyone know approximately what the draft is on a 195 fsh when up on plane. There are a few places I want to go around Swansboro NC area where it can get pretty shallow for just a short distance especially at low tide. Most of the time it will be 2-3 feet minimum but there could be a few spots that get to 1-2 feet.

1619135022631.png

Tailwaters

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I owned a 190 for 3 years and bought a 210 last year. Love all the extra storage the 210 has. Not much faster than the 190 but definitely faster out of the hole with a heavy load.

dels

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
does anyone know approximately what the draft is on a 195 fsh when up on plane. There are a few places I want to go around Swansboro NC area where it can get pretty shallow for just a short distance especially at low tide. Most of the time it will be 2-3 feet minimum but there could be a few spots that get to 1-2 feet.
The official spec say 16" draft so I imagine on plane it must be very very low! Nevertheless, I don't think I would run on plane in water as shallow as you are describing, it sounds terrifying haha!

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
on plane I run over about 8 inches with no problems just don’t ever have to stop there. If you do shut off engine immediately because of you suck up stuff from the bottom you can clog your coping system or damage or props. In 2 feet of water you can get on plane and stuff with no problem just don’t ever stay in one place and idle with that shallow of water because you will suck up sand.

Joe_C

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The official spec say 16" draft so I imagine on plane it must be very very low! Nevertheless, I don't think I would run on plane in water as shallow as you are describing, it sounds terrifying haha!
running on plane is the only way to get around where we go. If you get nervous and slow down is when you will bottom out. lol. I am just used to a skiff with an outboard with a jack plate. Thanks for your reply. Also a must is polarized glasses so you can see the difference in the shallow and deeper waters.

Joe_C

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
on plane I run over about 8 inches with no problems just don’t ever have to stop there. If you do shut off engine immediately because of you suck up stuff from the bottom you can clog your coping system or damage or props. In 2 feet of water you can get on plane and stuff with no problem just don’t ever stay in one place and idle with that shallow of water because you will suck up sand.
Thanks for the reply. That is what I was thinking as well.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I tried to plane on one engine awhile back, i think i was getting about 15mph or so. Not quite enough to get on plane, but definitely better than no engine. Im curious from the folks that are running Tabs if they have been able to get on plane on one engine.
If I remember I will try and plane off with the tabs on one motor

Radman7734

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In reference to using only one motor and going five miles per hour....this is true. If you go faster I was told that it will pressurize the other engine's water intake causing water to enter the cooling passages but because it's not running it will not expel it properly flooding those passages. I don't know exactly how that would cause an issue like that but that what I was told by the dealer.

Joe_C

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
In reference to using only one motor and going five miles per hour....this is true. If you go faster I was told that it will pressurize the other engine's water intake causing water to enter the cooling passages but because it's not running it will not expel it properly flooding those passages. I don't know exactly how that would cause an issue like that but that what I was told by the dealer.

sure you just have to clamp off the water intake. You should do this even if you only have one engine and are getting a tow. Even if getting towed slowly some people have had the problem with the water getting in. It is always a good idea to keep a clamp on board in case of an emergency.

Ericd

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I run about a mile on Estero river to get into the bay with 210 FSH. River is pretty shallow in spots 1’-2’ and only 5’-6’ at it’s deepest. I’m not upon plane and haven’t had any problems, but I haven’t stopped in shallow water either. I don’t like to see 1’ on the Garmin!