• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

195 has stiff steering

Grayjrk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Finally in the water and the steering is wicked tight. My info packet doesn't include info on the cable.
Anyone know what kind it is and how long. Hopefully it is generic and I can easily purchase it.
Thanks

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How many hours are on the boat, and do you use it in salt water alot?

You probably need to lubricate your steering cable, or check your nozzle for rust or obstructions.

Grayjrk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks for the response ScarabMike. I have 103 hours and I do use it in the salt water.
I do spray 656 regularly and when it stiffened up I also hit it with penetrating oil.
Nozzle was rust free and clear of any obstructions. I was actually hoping to find something there.
Doesn't look like any easy cable swap out either.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the response ScarabMike. I have 103 hours and I do use it in the salt water.
I do spray 656 regularly and when it stiffened up I also hit it with penetrating oil.
Nozzle was rust free and clear of any obstructions. I was actually hoping to find something there.
Doesn't look like any easy cable swap out either.
Go into your helm from the front seat. Take down the white cover, and check the steering connection. Spray it with 656, and grease the connections.

mferrari

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Steering cable should run about $150. I don't remember the length off the top of my head but I know Ive sold one.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finally in the water and the steering is wicked tight. My info packet doesn't include info on the cable.
Anyone know what kind it is and how long. Hopefully it is generic and I can easily purchase it.
Thanks
As soon as you wrote wicked I know you were from the Boston area. Regardless of the type of boat you're driving stiff steering generally equates to rusted cables. You do want to isolate the trouble by disconnecting your cables at the buckets or helm to make sure it's not the helm gearbox or the buckets but it usually boils down to those wicked steering cables. Wish they would make them from stainless steel.

Grayjrk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks for the input guys. I didn't even realize my wicked description until you mentioned it!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The issue with our cables is the lower 18 inches. When you steer L or R ot you shift F,N,R you may expose the lower end of the cable to salt water, especially when the small rubber boots get old and lazy. A preventative is to lubricate the cables prior to each season. There is a process detailed in the FAQ section of this forum.