• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

1950s to early 60s Whitehouse Apache restomod.

Very cool boat. I would look at 4 stroke skis in your area for a motor and pump. A two stroke would be less expensive but would require oil in the fuel, make smoke and not last as long.

The Honda Aquatrax has reverse, is said to be reliable and often is at an appealing price.

SeaDoo Spark hulls are said to be less repairable and they are pretty cheap new. They do not have reverse but a reverse bucket can be added.

I would be tempted to at least look into electric propulsion if you are not look for a lot of range.

Very cool boat. I would look at 4 stroke skis in your area for a motor and pump. A two stroke would be less expensive but would require oil in the fuel, make smoke and not last as long.

The Honda Aquatrax has reverse, is said to be reliable and often is at an appealing price.

SeaDoo Spark hulls are said to be less repairable and they are pretty cheap new. They do not have reverse but a reverse bucket can be added.

I would be tempted to at least look into electric propulsion if you are not look for a lot of range.
I think the 4 stroke is what I'm leaning towards. Would like some range as we have a lake and river here. I don't need another hotrod, I want to be able to just cruise around. Fast enough to plane out is good. Maybe fast enough to be entertaining.

Ok she is in place. When she rolls outta there it will be to the paint shop. Plus I found a serial number etched into the tail. Saddle up boys we're gonna explore this little boats past. No more work on it until I can at least find the previous title holder and get the title or salvage title. Not sure of the laws here for abandoned boats. Plus 63or 64 years old.

Attachments

• IMG_20230522_193651417_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230522_193651417_HDR.jpg
    1,017.4 KB · Views: 44
With a single engine hp is going to be a plus with the weight of that boat with people in it. It takes more power to create jet thrust than spin a prop.

With a single engine hp is going to be a plus with the weight of that boat with people in it. It takes more power to create jet thrust than spin a prop.
I'm going to shop around and get a engine with plenty of power to at least make it useable and fun. If that means performance parts then so be it. Just don't want it to become a maintenance nightmare. High performance means high maintenance.

I'm going to shop around and get a engine with plenty of power to at least make it useable and fun. If that means performance parts then so be it. Just don't want it to become a maintenance nightmare. High performance means high maintenance.
The Yamaha 1.8 HO is 180hp. It’s dependable and you don’t have to do performance stuff to it.

Well we had a tragedy today! We found him/her in one of the debri piles we mucked outta the boat. OHH THE HORROR!
Might have so save him and put him somewhere in the boat as we build.

Attachments

• IMG_20230523_170844274_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230523_170844274_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
Ok now lets just go ahead and build a rotisserie to begin. As soon as I have title in hand. Bout to give myself a schoolin on the abandoned/salvage laws for boats here and am still going to try get in touch with previous owners to unravel the tale.

Ok now lets just go ahead and build a rotisserie to begin. As soon as I have title in hand. Bout to give myself a schoolin on the abandoned/salvage laws for boats here and am still going to try get in touch with previous owners to unravel the tale.

Can you register as a homemade boat? Does she have a hull id anywhere? You may have to register as homemade to get a hull id from the state anyway and when she is ready for the water most of the work will be yours.

I knew it! You boat people sucked me into your cult. It only took me 2 minutes to come to terms with the fact that the motor/jet setup that my soul requires is gonna be about 4500$ best case. The more I read about that 1.8HO in the wave runner is the one to have. If it will run 67mph. I bet we can get 45 or so with the boat. Opinions please?

And so it begins. Just pokin around and seems like someone sprayed the inside with fiberglass then just kinda smeared it around. It seems to be wanting to come off in sheets. Above the top of the benches it's gel coat under the hideous paint. The original fiberglass from the mold seems in really good shape under it all.
The back story on it is prolly not gonna happen. DMV here says its illegal for them to tell me previous owners. So home build it is!!

Attachments

• IMG_20230527_175314492_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230527_175314492_HDR.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230527_175247820_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230527_175247820_HDR.jpg
    960.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230527_175258910_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230527_175258910_HDR.jpg
    892.2 KB · Views: 19
Update: sorry it's been awhile, I'm still into it just ever so busy building oilfield equipment. Also a casual search for the perfect watercraft to canabalise. As soon as I aquire that we shall cut the transom off and get all in its guts.

Just ran into this thread. Great to see another New Mexican't on the board.

I saw one of these, or one like it, up in Angel Fire years ago and never forgot how cool of a restomod it would make. Call a few local insurance agents re: getting a bonded title. I did once and it wasn't too expensive. There is also a storage lien/titling process that I used once for an old Caddy that came with a property I bought. I don't know if it applies to boats but I'm happy to help you figure that out (UNM Law School told me that if I gave them a bunch of money and 3 years of my life I'd be able to read the statutes when I got out. It's been 25 years and that's still up for debate).

Last time I was down at Elephant Butte I saw a bunch of skis sitting around at Captain Pete's, although I suspect more with mech issues than crashed.

You gonna have that ready by Xmas? We usually go down to Carlsbad for Christmas on the Pecos for our last boat outing of the year. Maybe we'll see you on the lake.

Just ran into this thread. Great to see another New Mexican't on the board.

I saw one of these, or one like it, up in Angel Fire years ago and never forgot how cool of a restomod it would make. Call a few local insurance agents re: getting a bonded title. I did once and it wasn't too expensive. There is also a storage lien/titling process that I used once for an old Caddy that came with a property I bought. I don't know if it applies to boats but I'm happy to help you figure that out (UNM Law School told me that if I gave them a bunch of money and 3 years of my life I'd be able to read the statutes when I got out. It's been 25 years and that's still up for debate).

Last time I was down at Elephant Butte I saw a bunch of skis sitting around at Captain Pete's, although I suspect more with mech issues than crashed.

You gonna have that ready by Xmas? We usually go down to Carlsbad for Christmas on the Pecos for our last boat outing of the year. Maybe we'll see you on the lake.
Man o man would I love to have it ready by then but this adventure is going to be slow going as I am notboatguy. I want to make sure that it is all done correctly (I have never built a boat)and in the end it will be a sturdy reliable craft.
I'm reversing my life long obsession with grab up your tools son at lets whip it out. Going to just let it happen in a natural progression, it will be an adventure in restraint for me. Some may not like looks, they will have to admit it is well built.

Back